Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Fatcat

8,725 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
This a quick sketch I did of my avi in about half an hour. I haven't erased any of the sketch lines yet, obviously, but I'm looking for some feedback before I ink it and color it. I feel like the head and hair looks good but the body is really plain. Any advice or suggestions are welcome!

EDIT: I don't have a scanner, sorry for the poor phone quality!

User Image

Benevolent Phantom

it's so nice. uwu
this is going to be adorable when its all done! 3nodding as far as the body there's something weird about her shoulders and arm pits like there to close together or the curves off, i think a quick fix in this area will make this picture from A to A+

User Image

Side-by-side comparison to give you the slope (this is like a big guy so make it more gradual but i think it helps point out what i mean) just try to get that sorta shape but less extreme if that makes sense....

please post the final version as this looks sooo cute

Friendly Fatcat

8,725 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
lethal cause
                  it's so nice. uwu

Thanks Leth! You're so nice! heart

Friendly Fatcat

8,725 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
a million red lies
this is going to be adorable when its all done! 3nodding as far as the body there's something weird about her shoulders and arm pits like there to close together or the curves off, i think a quick fix in this area will make this picture from A to A+

User Image

Side-by-side comparison to give you the slope (this is like a big guy so make it more gradual but i think it helps point out what i mean) just try to get that sorta shape but less extreme if that makes sense....

please post the final version as this looks sooo cute

Oh wow! This side by side really helps! Thank you!

I'll definitely try to post the finished product when I get done. 3nodding

Tipsy Dabbler

8,700 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Generous 100
  • Dressed Up 200
This need a LOT of work. I hate to burst in with negativity when everyone else isn't bothering to crit, you.

I can see that you're trying to use proper facial structure, which is an excellent start. However, it isn't working out. Study more human faces to figure out how they really work. Understanding true anatomy is really the only way to make successful anime style artwork.

Invisible Guildsman

5,950 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Popular Thread 100
so i did a bit of a redline for you
you've got a good start but you do need to work on anatomy and angles

User Image

this is my first redline so bear with me
okay so first thing's first, you really need to work on facial structure. if you want the face to look like it's facing forwards slightly, then the one side of the face, indicated in the redline, should be moved inwards.
when a face is facing forward, as in the image, the eye and eyebrow on the left should appear closer to the bridge of the nose than the other, this gives the face a bit of dynamic.
the nose should be a bit more rounded, they should never appear to be too pointy
it is also best to point the nose upwards a bit like i did in the redline.
your mouth is also a bit too low, you need to make room for a chin, and a lower lip, but don't put it too close to the nose. the distance between the two should be about the same.
i've also widened the neck, in your drawing it looks almost as if the head isn't properly attached to the neck and too far forward.
the body isn't too bad but im unsure if it's supposed to be a girl or a boy, im assuming a female based on the hair.
i'm not too great at female anatomy but i know that females tend to have longer necks than males do, their shoulders are less broad and their features are more rounded
i didn't do a really good job on the body in the redline but i fixed some minor details
anyways sorry for being long winded, i hope you take what i said into consideration!
i hope to see more art from you! :3

Friendly Fatcat

8,725 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
Hyperlinked Databases
so i did a bit of a redline for you
you've got a good start but you do need to work on anatomy and angles

User Image

this is my first redline so bear with me
okay so first thing's first, you really need to work on facial structure. if you want the face to look like it's facing forwards slightly, then the one side of the face, indicated in the redline, should be moved inwards.
when a face is facing forward, as in the image, the eye and eyebrow on the left should appear closer to the bridge of the nose than the other, this gives the face a bit of dynamic.
the nose should be a bit more rounded, they should never appear to be too pointy
it is also best to point the nose upwards a bit like i did in the redline.
your mouth is also a bit too low, you need to make room for a chin, and a lower lip, but don't put it too close to the nose. the distance between the two should be about the same.
i've also widened the neck, in your drawing it looks almost as if the head isn't properly attached to the neck and too far forward.
the body isn't too bad but im unsure if it's supposed to be a girl or a boy, im assuming a female based on the hair.
i'm not too great at female anatomy but i know that females tend to have longer necks than males do, their shoulders are less broad and their features are more rounded
i didn't do a really good job on the body in the redline but i fixed some minor details
anyways sorry for being long winded, i hope you take what i said into consideration!
i hope to see more art from you! :3

This helps a lot, thanks! 3nodding

Friendly Fatcat

8,725 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
MistressLegato
This need a LOT of work. I hate to burst in with negativity when everyone else isn't bothering to crit, you.

I can see that you're trying to use proper facial structure, which is an excellent start. However, it isn't working out. Study more human faces to figure out how they really work. Understanding true anatomy is really the only way to make successful anime style artwork.

Do you have any suggestions?

Tipsy Dabbler

8,700 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Generous 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Swift Cat
MistressLegato

For 2-D (copying images) http://www.fineart.sk/ is a good place to start. Anywhere with free stock to use is great, really. The best thing to do, however, is study people IRL. Ask your friends if they'll let you draw them (and tell them not to get offended, it's hard!) and try your best to draw exactly what you see - not what you want to see.

That's how I learned! Of course, as artists, anatomy is our struggle until the end of time and I know I'm not perfect, but I like to help when I can.

Friendly Fatcat

8,725 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
MistressLegato
Swift Cat
MistressLegato

For 2-D (copying images) http://www.fineart.sk/ is a good place to start. Anywhere with free stock to use is great, really. The best thing to do, however, is study people IRL. Ask your friends if they'll let you draw them (and tell them not to get offended, it's hard!) and try your best to draw exactly what you see - not what you want to see.

That's how I learned! Of course, as artists, anatomy is our struggle until the end of time and I know I'm not perfect, but I like to help when I can.

Thank you for the advice! I will try drawing my fiance and other people and see if that helps. 3nodding

Fashionable Businessman

i'm excited to see the finished product 8D
Don't study anatomy at this point yet, study drawing instead.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff