Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm losing my faith in the art community. If you want to know why then ask me and I'll rant about it.

((This post is just to see how many people want to know why before I go and explain it.))
Lily Hitachiin
I'm losing my faith in the art community. If you want to know why then ask me and I'll rant about it.

((This post is just to see how many people want to know why before I go and explain it.))

Y??
I'm kinda curious as to why to you think that. Rant on!
To be honest in the big art world everything is about shock factor these days. I just don't believe that shock factor is a true art form. I want to see things like portraits and scenery make a comeback. You know, stuff that you can hang in a museum. :/

I wanna see people spend more time on what they're doing instead of throwing a dog in a corner to starve to death or faking an abortion in your bathtub. It just makes them seem like attention whores.

Also, people are losing the true meaning of what art really is. I mean lately I was told that one of my pieces is "not art." What is the true definition of art though? Isn't the true meaning of art bringing to life something that you see in your head that you want to show the world? Is there even a set meaning to what art really is?

I know it seems like I just contradicted myself there, but I still stand by my point that the new "shock factor art" is not real art and is usually a sickening attempt to get people's attention.

Not to mention nowadays people are stealing art. The internet just screws artists over. I mean its good and all for getting known out there until you get your art stolen. I miss galleries and all that, and paintings that are too big for a scanner. sad

That's just what I personally think.
I kinda agree, I do want to see more paintings that you would hang on your wall with a frame, me most people dont do it professionally, only in there free time so they work with what they have
I know. I want to see an actual artist who actually has it as their profession instead of just something on the side. I think people are too fast paced today.
its very difficult to live as an unfamous artist, because if "shock factor" is "in" no one will buy your art, and u starve in a corner, but that doesn't hold people back. not all artists are following the trends, and there are trends. Also it's not that those that throw panit on a canvas can't do Classic still life, they just don't want to. Like Piccaso and Monet, sorry if i misspelled their names n im lazy to look it up at the moment, who were both very capable artists.
But your right it's sad that there is a business to art. But alot of people are into what they do and that love of art hasen't died.
art is abstract, it comes in a number of forms, and yet if your famous you could sign a napkin and people will pay millions for the little masterpiece.

please don't give up on art, like all things it has its dark side i guess, but it has it's beutiful part too as.
thats my opinion anyway

i could try to explain myself better, but there are so many factors involved that it would take me a while.

Stuffed Bunny

15,750 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Space Blob Recruit 50
  • Waffles! 25
O.O dont give up
vigoroso
its very difficult to live as an unfamous artist, because if "shock factor" is "in" no one will buy your art, and u starve in a corner, but that doesn't hold people back. not all artists are following the trends, and there are trends. Also it's not that those that throw panit on a canvas can't do Classic still life, they just don't want to. Like Piccaso and Monet, sorry if i misspelled their names n im lazy to look it up at the moment, who were both very capable artists.
But your right it's sad that there is a business to art. But alot of people are into what they do and that love of art hasen't died.
art is abstract, it comes in a number of forms, and yet if your famous you could sign a napkin and people will pay millions for the little masterpiece.

please don't give up on art, like all things it has its dark side i guess, but it has it's beutiful part too as.
thats my opinion anyway

i could try to explain myself better, but there are so many factors involved that it would take me a while.

Shock factor is not art, at all. Its basically someone saying, "look at me, I can do ridiculous nonsense!" Its something that someone would do to try and enter a clique. You can do the same thing with a weird haircut but people instead try to starve a dog. How is any of that art?
Quote:
Shock factor is not art, at all. Its basically someone saying, "look at me, I can do ridiculous nonsense!" Its something that someone would do to try and enter a clique. You can do the same thing with a weird haircut but people instead try to starve a dog. How is any of that art?

for some artists it might be like that, but not for all. the shock factor, i think is sort of like shouting, some artist have something to say and their art sometimes comes accross as disturbed or shocking. other pieces can give off a calming effect. through art people can convay a feeling about something, and express something.

some artists do this intentionally, planning out everything down to the last detail that means something, and others just create and end up with something.

Van Goghs art was radical for his time, yet after his death people started to recognize some of what he did, and he did what he did because he wanted to, not to please the art world (he was also a bit nutty stare ), and some of his work comes off disterbing. the same could be said of piccaso and others.

you've metioned this starved dog before, is it something you saw? if so straving an animal is not art but a crime.

i think art inclues a large range of things, but i guess it boils down to, something that wasen't there before, that a person put into action or surfaced. i don't think it can ever truely be defined, because its from painting, to dance, to designing tables, to designing commercials, to manga, to anime, and so on.

get to know different faces of art, not just the superficial ones. don't lose all faith. whee
vigoroso
Quote:

for some artists it might be like that, but not for all. the shock factor, i think is sort of like shouting, some artist have something to say and their art sometimes comes accross as disturbed or shocking. other pieces can give off a calming effect. through art people can convay a feeling about something, and express something.

some artists do this intentionally, planning out everything down to the last detail that means something, and others just create and end up with something.

Van Goghs art was radical for his time, yet after his death people started to recognize some of what he did, and he did what he did because he wanted to, not to please the art world (he was also a bit nutty stare ), and some of his work comes off disterbing. the same could be said of piccaso and others.

you've metioned this starved dog before, is it something you saw? if so straving an animal is not art but a crime.

i think art inclues a large range of things, but i guess it boils down to, something that wasen't there before, that a person put into action or surfaced. i don't think it can ever truely be defined, because its from painting, to dance, to designing tables, to designing commercials, to manga, to anime, and so on.

get to know different faces of art, not just the superficial ones. don't lose all faith. whee

Now I'm not talking about Van Gogh or anything like that. I mean these people starving dogs and sitting in their bathtubs faking abortions. I didn't say anything about making tables or mangas or anything. I mean the stupid people who don't take time to realize that art isn't all about attention because from the articles that's all these people wanted. I'm just saying I'm not liking a lot I'm seeing in this shock factor "art craze." No you see, Van Gogh created for the love of art, these people are creating for "look at me, I can do crazy things now give me money." I want to see people who do things for the love of art again. I want to see a beautiful new piece hanging in a museum. Not a starving dog or a bloody bathtub.
Lily Hitachiin
I know. I want to see an actual artist who actually has it as their profession instead of just something on the side. I think people are too fast paced today.

i think many people who are into art only do it on the side becuase its a hard job to find and to keep, just doing artwork. mnayt think there there arent jobs available in the art industry, but there are
hollywoodxdied
Lily Hitachiin

i think many people who are into art only do it on the side becuase its a hard job to find and to keep, just doing artwork. mnayt think there there arent jobs available in the art industry, but there are

true, and artists are discouraged, often times people make it sound like all an artist can hope to do in the future is be a teacher and create on the side.
Quote:
Now I'm not talking about Van Gogh or anything like that. I mean these people starving dogs and sitting in their bathtubs faking abortions. I didn't say anything about making tables or mangas or anything. I mean the stupid people who don't take time to realize that art isn't all about attention because from the articles that's all these people wanted. I'm just saying I'm not liking a lot I'm seeing in this shock factor "art craze." No you see, Van Gogh created for the love of art, these people are creating for "look at me, I can do crazy things now give me money." I want to see people who do things for the love of art again. I want to see a beautiful new piece hanging in a museum. Not a starving dog or a bloody bathtub.

it's sad that a trend can warp peoples view of art, and put a label to something abstract.

There are still people that do create not according to 'art' as others in the 'art world' define it, but because they are moved to create. and because of this trend, that is popular for now, they have to do what they do on the side to make money to live, because what they do isn't 'in' and doesn't pay the bills.

It took a years for a couple of painters i know to really start selling their art. they have canvases pilled on canvases of paintings. But they didn't change their style to suit others and stuck to what they love doing.

i just want to let u know there are artists doing what they do out of passion, but they may never get seen in magazine, or they might get a little paragraph.

it not fair and its not right, but that doesn't stop people.
Oh i know what you mean, Im here for two days but i see it. I also don't like this "ava drawing", it really sux. I put something in my scanner

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I draw it few weeks ago. You mean something like that? It's not the best quality but i like it. At the moment im trying to find a contest for "picture drawing". Mh.. Maybe i find one

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff