Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Fatcat

My friends are like that too, stupid meatheads D:

4,600 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Don't feel bad, I have NO friends or family that like or watch anime enough to understand it, so I'm kind of a loner when watching anime, cuz my friends and family are the same way too, they assume all anime is like that, and they can't get past that and understand that theres more to anime than sexual stuff xp

Dapper Dabbler

6,950 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Friendly 100
Siuka
Don't feel bad, I have NO friends or family that like or watch anime enough to understand it, so I'm kind of a loner when watching anime, cuz my friends and family are the same way too, they assume all anime is like that, and they can't get past that and understand that theres more to anime than sexual stuff xp
gonk I'd watch anime with you any day! Which kind do you like btw?
show your brother Highschool of the Dead, then laugh in his face at his horror of boobs bouncing everywhere and panty upskirt shots constantly! (one of my top 5 favorite anime)

Cheery Loiterer

11,850 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Marathon 300
I don't really care how my family sees anime or video games back when I lived at home. This is mostly because they have walked in at the wrong times and it really only takes one time.

My mom asked if she could watch with me. I was on the funimation channel watching Negima--the ep where they're in the public bath, Negi's spell backfires, and Asuka's boobs explode, so I said maybe later. She thought I was being rude and never asked again after that. sad
My brother walked in on me watching Kikaider on Adult Swim when I was little (wasn't a fan, but decided to watch just ONE episode). His response? "Are those robots shooting lazers from their nipples?" He burst into laughter. I was around 10-12 at the time and wasn't expecting that so it embarassed me.
My dad walked in on me playing Final Fantasy XIII (was playing it for the first time--not a fan of this one, but am a big FF fan, so got anyways). I was battling the Shiva sisters. Then the Shiva sisters transformed into a motorcycle and Snow started riding it. My dad shook his head and walked out (I personally think that scene is weird also).

I also had a friend who comes from a very rigid Christian family. When she was younger she brought manga home and it was a shoujo. Sometimes shoujo likes to draw the outlines of the characters without clothes--like in sailor moon transformation and things like that. You still can't see anything. Her mom was outraged. She couldn't take manga home or her mother would burn it. Serious, her mom would take it to the bin and burn it. I let her read and borrow my manga in high school--felt like I might as well have been passing cocaine. We were both back home from college and were at her mom's house watching Hetalia and I was hoping her mom wouldn't find out. And if her mom found out, I kept thinking "Please don't let France be on the screen". We were going to call it an educational cartoon, otherwise...
Kibbity_Kabbit2
It's not like I'm disagreeing with him entirely. There are some anime series that are really weird. It was really how he said it that irked me. [...] I just didn't like how he was so determined that ALL anime was like what he thought. He can't really say it's weird without watching more series. I also don't see why he's so hung-up on the perverted stuff. I mean, he watched all of the American Pie series. Hypocritical much? rolleyes

Oh, my brothers teased me about my anime tastes but they didn't really rub it in. Everyone who knows me knows that if they get me started on anime I will talk until I go blue, so they avoid it if they do not want to talk about it. heart That is my secret to stop people from insulting my preferences. It doesn't win me many points sometimes, but it's the only thing I've found that works long-term because I am a very low-key normal person other than for my squee-ing anime fan-girl alter-ego.

Anyway, about your brother, he's being a jerk. Tell him how crappy that makes you feel when he tells you your interests suck and if he doesn't get it after that then change the subject obnoxiously to something else that he adores and give him the same medicine. If he doesn't learn, keep repeating that he's being mean and ignore him, but do not go silent and let him walk all over you! That would be a mistake!! Eventually it'll get through his big thick skull that he's being a rude, jerk-face.

Best of luck!

4,600 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Kibbity_Kabbit2
Siuka

Lol thanks xd I acually like every kind of anime you can think of heart except for Sci-fi/Mecha anime so I'm not picky what about you biggrin

Dapper Dabbler

6,950 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Friendly 100
Siuka
Kibbity_Kabbit2
Siuka

Lol thanks xd I acually like every kind of anime you can think of heart except for Sci-fi/Mecha anime so I'm not picky what about you biggrin
Same! I like anime that's based around high school. Most of the scenarios are so cute & funny. Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden is one my fave series. I recently finished Rosario+Vampire & loved it! 4laugh

Dapper Dabbler

6,950 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Friendly 100
ehrenyu
Kibbity_Kabbit2
It's not like I'm disagreeing with him entirely. There are some anime series that are really weird. It was really how he said it that irked me. [...] I just didn't like how he was so determined that ALL anime was like what he thought. He can't really say it's weird without watching more series. I also don't see why he's so hung-up on the perverted stuff. I mean, he watched all of the American Pie series. Hypocritical much? rolleyes

Oh, my brothers teased me about my anime tastes but they didn't really rub it in. Everyone who knows me knows that if they get me started on anime I will talk until I go blue, so they avoid it if they do not want to talk about it. heart That is my secret to stop people from insulting my preferences. It doesn't win me many points sometimes, but it's the only thing I've found that works long-term because I am a very low-key normal person other than for my squee-ing anime fan-girl alter-ego.

Anyway, about your brother, he's being a jerk. Tell him how crappy that makes you feel when he tells you your interests suck and if he doesn't get it after that then change the subject obnoxiously to something else that he adores and give him the same medicine. If he doesn't learn, keep repeating that he's being mean and ignore him, but do not go silent and let him walk all over you! That would be a mistake!! Eventually it'll get through his big thick skull that he's being a rude, jerk-face.

Best of luck!
I told him he was being a jerk-head. He replied saying, "& you're being too sensitive again. You're not gonna scream 'I hate you!' to my face again right?" Me: "I've grown up since then! People were really mean to me & I was just 14. You didn't make it any better!" Easy to say that my bro & I have never been close.

Dapper Dabbler

6,950 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Friendly 100
XIII Somnus
I don't really care how my family sees anime or video games back when I lived at home. This is mostly because they have walked in at the wrong times and it really only takes one time.

My mom asked if she could watch with me. I was on the funimation channel watching Negima--the ep where they're in the public bath, Negi's spell backfires, and Asuka's boobs explode, so I said maybe later. She thought I was being rude and never asked again after that. sad
My brother walked in on me watching Kikaider on Adult Swim when I was little (wasn't a fan, but decided to watch just ONE episode). His response? "Are those robots shooting lazers from their nipples?" He burst into laughter. I was around 10-12 at the time and wasn't expecting that so it embarassed me.
My dad walked in on me playing Final Fantasy XIII (was playing it for the first time--not a fan of this one, but am a big FF fan, so got anyways). I was battling the Shiva sisters. Then the Shiva sisters transformed into a motorcycle and Snow started riding it. My dad shook his head and walked out (I personally think that scene is weird also).

I also had a friend who comes from a very rigid Christian family. When she was younger she brought manga home and it was a shoujo. Sometimes shoujo likes to draw the outlines of the characters without clothes--like in sailor moon transformation and things like that. You still can't see anything. Her mom was outraged. She couldn't take manga home or her mother would burn it. Serious, her mom would take it to the bin and burn it. I let her read and borrow my manga in high school--felt like I might as well have been passing cocaine. We were both back home from college and were at her mom's house watching Hetalia and I was hoping her mom wouldn't find out. And if her mom found out, I kept thinking "Please don't let France be on the screen". We were going to call it an educational cartoon, otherwise...
emotion_jawdrop
eek burning_eyes There are just no words to explain how furious I am with her mother.
Kibbity_Kabbit2
I told him he was being a jerk-head. He replied saying, "& you're being too sensitive again. You're not gonna scream 'I hate you!' to my face again right?" Me: "I've grown up since then! People were really mean to me & I was just 14. You didn't make it any better!" Easy to say that my bro & I have never been close.

By telling you that you're being too sensitive he's really saying that he'll take no responsibility for his actions, which means you need not respond in kind (aka name-calling). He wants to spin you into anger or unhappiness for whatever reason. Seriously. Try responding calmly. If it helps, simulate the kinds of things he says to denigrate you and practice being calm as you repeat that he's hurt you etc a few times with a friend, and then practice ending the conversation without being sucked into an argument. It's is SO tough to do, but I've found difficult people DO NOT like to fight to a brick wall (ala you when you are calm). smile Try it! (Practice first though!)

Fashionable Explorer

10,100 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • That One Hero 500
ha…that must've sux have'n a bro. dat hates anime and thinks its weird..lol xp my cousin luvs anime, so she watches watever anime she likes, hell i never knew she even liked or herd of any anime at all, untill she asked ME if I liked anime, and i said to her ofcourse i do, so she showed me several series dat she likes lol blaugh

Desirable Flatterer

10,650 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
User ImageBoo him,Anime is always epic.. I LOVE ANIME heart !

Dapper Dabbler

6,950 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Friendly 100
ehrenyu
Kibbity_Kabbit2

By telling you that you're being too sensitive he's really saying that he'll take no responsibility for his actions, which means you need not respond in kind (aka name-calling). He wants to spin you into anger or unhappiness for whatever reason. Seriously. Try responding calmly. If it helps, simulate the kinds of things he says to denigrate you and practice being calm as you repeat that he's hurt you etc a few times with a friend, and then practice ending the conversation without being sucked into an argument. It's is SO tough to do, but I've found difficult people DO NOT like to fight to a brick wall (ala you when you are calm). smile Try it! (Practice first though!)
Thanks for the advice. I'll try it out & see how things go. 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces