Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Friend

5,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Marathon 300
Both, where possible. (Hidamari Sketch, for example, has no English dub. Thankfully, it has decent subtitling, I guess... typos and occasional wrong homonyms aside.) It's very rare that I dislike voice acting work in anime, be it Japanese or English. On the other hand, I've had more issues with clunky phrasing in subtitles. Such is the case with Lucky Star, where they seemingly took the subtitles straight from the badly-translated volume 1 of the manga where appropriate.

One thing I've noticed (see below) is that some terms are starting to go untranslated anyway... which, if it's a thing that can't be translated properly into English, is a good thing. The internet is pretty widespread, and can explain things like that. And that's if they don't explain it in translator notes.

(Be aware that the above is based on all of eight series, so... take that for what you will.)
Japanese. English dub doesn't have any 'feeling' in their voices. But I would watch certain dubbed anime for the nostalgia
Which ever is available.
usually people lean towards jap dub since it has a better casting, when really were just used to it, but things like InuYasha and Hetalia which have GREAT english VAs, i will always watch in english. I cant watch InuYasha in Japanese, Inuyasha sounds gross and awful and kagome sounds too grown. everyone else is ok i guess. Hetalia is great in eng dub just because we get the jokes more in eng and the accents. but i don't mind either english or japanese. (except for the 2 i listed) whee

3,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Dressed Up 200
I Watch It English Sub , I Hate When I Get To Watch
An Episode In English Dub By Mistake ..
I watch Anime in both English and Japanese (subbed). I prefer Jap subbed because I know i'm hearing the lines being read in their original voices with no lines changed/censored. But sometimes I'm too busy to read subtitles, so then I watch or "listen" in English instead so that I can get my dose of anime while I get other things done.

Beloved Knight

I watch most of the time in Japanese and I despise English dubs~

But currently (and is my only current exception), Disney is the only one doing great on English dubbing that I know of.
Like many, Japanese is my preference. Almost all English dubs suck (except for the occasional needle in the haystack ex. DBZ, Bleach, or FMA). But most fail.

5,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • First step to fame 200
I never watch dubbed if I can help it. Subbed is way better heart
It just seems so... wrong with the American accents. The japanese words and names sound... how should I put it... 'forced'? It just seems unnatural :<
Plus, after going from a sub to a dub, the dubbed voices really don't suit the characters, in most cases. ^^' A few anime are alright, like Death Note wasn't too bad, and some of Bleach was alright. But yes, Vampire Knight was just wrong.

Clean Hunter

7,800 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tipsy 100
I only watch English dub. Subbed stuff drives me crazy. Having to read a translation of everything they're saying is just ridiculous.
I watch Anime in both English and Japanese dub.
Usually in English because I'm just really lazy... >.<''
Although, when I take the time to watch Anime in Japanese, I almost always end up learning some new Japanese phrase to scream at my family. Thus, making Jap. Dub my favorite way to watch Anime. cx

Beloved Admirer

9,800 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Definitely prefer Japanese subs!!! xp Ten times better than their english dubs...
Why?
The english voices are usually so incredibly dumb. stressed The true emotion in what the characters is best heard in Japanese... there are some things that Americans just simply cannot portray correctly.
Knowing a bit of Japanese helps with the sometimes less than praiseworthy translation bongs so even if it's a little off key you get it anyway. Not to mention it helps you learn the language better! YAYY!! blaugh

1,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
I prefer the voice is from the seiyuu, a'ka Japanese original heart
Well, in my opinion, the image of character is best portrayed with their original voice actor or actress xp

Anyway, because I can't understand Japanese, so I always hope there's an English subs twisted
Sauruna
It just seems so... wrong with the American accents. The japanese words and names sound... how should I put it... 'forced'? It just seems unnatural :<
Plus, after going from a sub to a dub, the dubbed voices really don't suit the characters, in most cases. ^^' A few anime are alright, like Death Note wasn't too bad, and some of Bleach was alright. But yes, Vampire Knight was just wrong.

What about shows with a huge amount of English names? Shows like Full metal Alchimist, D Gray man, Black Butler, Soul Eater, Claymore, to name a few. Don't the English names and words in those sound just as forced and unnatural in the Japanese version?

Winddriven_dreamer
Definitely prefer Japanese subs!!! xp Ten times better than their english dubs...
Why?
The english voices are usually so incredibly dumb. stressed The true emotion in what the characters is best heard in Japanese... there are some things that Americans just simply cannot portray correctly.
Knowing a bit of Japanese helps with the sometimes less than praiseworthy translation bongs so even if it's a little off key you get it anyway. Not to mention it helps you learn the language better! YAYY!! blaugh

can you give me some examples please. Because really in my fifteen years of watching anime which is half my life it seems to me that the English voice actors are just as good as portraying emotion as the Japanese ones are.

Oh and "There are some things American's just can't protray" that sounds borderline offensive. Are you saying that the japanese have emotions that Americans don't have. That they are more feeling then American? Because that's what I get out of this comment. That really makes me mad. An emotion which is not limited to the Japanese. I have heard as many soulless emotionless Japanese versions as I have with English dubs.

Distinct Member

5,150 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Creativerealms
Sauruna

What about shows with a huge amount of English names? Shows like Full metal Alchimist, D Gray man, Black Butler, Goal Eater, Claymore, to name a few. Don't the English names and words in those sound just as forced and unnatural in the Japanese version?

Winddriven_dreamer
Why?

can you give me some examples please. Because really in my fifteen years of watching anime which is half my life it seems to me that the English voice actors are just as good as portraying emotion as the Japanese ones are.

Oh and "There are some things American's just can't protray" that sounds borderline offensive. Are you saying that the japanese have emotions that Americans don't have. That they are more feeling then American? Because that's what I get out of this comment. That really makes me mad. An emotion which is not limited to the Japanese. I have heard as many soulless emotionless Japanese versions as I have with English dubs.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Thank you.
I have to say English

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces