Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cheery Cultist

17,825 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Signature Look 250
While I prefer English dubs, I ultimately watch whatever's more convenient at the time. I have no real issues with watching anime in the original Japanese with subtitles. While most of the time the language makes no real difference, there are a few titles that are better enjoyed when dubbed in English (Black Lagoon and Cowboy Bebop being two of them).

Hardened Humorist

17,625 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Signature Look 250
Autistic Alice
While I prefer English dubs, I ultimately watch whatever's more convenient at the time. I have no real issues with watching anime in the original Japanese with subtitles. While most of the time the language makes no real difference, there are a few titles that are better enjoyed when dubbed in English (Black Lagoon and Cowboy Bebop being two of them).

I'm pretty much the same way. I'm perfectly willing to wait for English dubs to be released, and I'm always disappointed when an anime receives a sub-only release Stateside (I'm looking at you, Aniplex and NIS America).

Precious Treasure

I usually watch Japanese subbed anime, whilst I don't dislike all dubs I'd rather watch the original. It's not always the case of which is better, for me it's a personal preference.

Invisible Friend

4,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
It depends! If I think the Japanese voices suck, I watch the Eng dubs and If the Eng dub suck I watch in Japanese sub.
Me i prefer to watch my anime in japanese whit english sub lol that's weird i'm french who is watching anime in japanese whit english sub razz i prefer it like that because i think whne jap anime in translated is sound weird well that's my opinion

Gracious Phantom

In Japanese, of course...the voice actors / actresses in English are horrible; compared to the very-in character Japanese voice actors and actresses. (With English subtittles.)

日本語は良いですね?
I mainly watch Japanese sub, but sometimes I'll watch dubbed.

Demonic Sex Symbol

I'm about the same. I prefer watching the anime in Japanese, even I need to read the subs.
Only time, I watch English is when I watch anime with my teenage sister.

I don't know too much of the horribly dubbed anime, other the Pokemon.

User Image

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
ET3RNAL_B2UTY
In Japanese, of course...the voice actors / actresses in English are horrible; compared to the very-in character Japanese voice actors and actresses. (With English subtittles.)

日本語は良いですね?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.so you're saying you prefer Japanese because the Japanese VAs can do no wrong when it comes to voicework and the English ones are the opposite?

Gracious Phantom

Mugetsu Ookamiza
ET3RNAL_B2UTY

日本語は良いですね?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.so you're saying you prefer Japanese because the Japanese VAs can do no wrong when it comes to voicework and the English ones are the opposite?

I'm not accusing them, I'm just saying that Japanese voice actors tend to be very suiting to their assigned characters; and are excellent voice actors in general. Plus, when Japanese words or references are used - they make sense, but in English it can be altered due to translation and idiom differences. Although say...Final Fantasy, I think American voice actors sound better in English; instead of their Japanese voice acting in video games, on the contrary.
ET3RNAL_B2UTY

日本語は良いですね?

I completely agree with you! You know with opera they don't have the entire show changed just b/c of the fact that people that speak another language cant understand Latin or Italian. The simple fact of the matter we are watching something characters that are not written within an American social structure so having the voice of a tsundere lolita character being done by a whining or bitchy sounding American voice actress, no matter how in love with anime the Actress might be or how long she has been doing her chosen profession. It just isnt ever going to be the same.

Sparkling Cutie-Pie

I personally prefer subs over dubs.
It makes no difference to me what so over i could careless if its in a japanese voice or an awkwardly placed american voice

Coltergist's Problem

Fatcat

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
          I tend to stick to Japanese with English subs.

English dubs are just weird. o.O

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
ET3RNAL_B2UTY
Mugetsu Ookamiza
ET3RNAL_B2UTY

日本語は良いですね?

I'm not accusing them, I'm just saying that Japanese voice actors tend to be very suiting to their assigned characters; and are excellent voice actors in general. Plus, when Japanese words or references are used - they make sense, but in English it can be altered due to translation and idiom differences. Although say...Final Fantasy, I think American voice actors sound better in English; instead of their Japanese voice acting in video games, on the contrary.
now, I know almost no Japanese, but I have had the luck to be able to discuss anime with people who are fluent in both Japanese and English (some of which either grew up in Japan or spent many years there), some of them online, but some of those people I've actually talked to in real life (including one college exchange student from Japan). they've told me in all honesty that comparing a 2000 and onward dub to a Japanese dub there's typically very little difference in quality, outside of some exceptions like a 4Kids dub and some other odd TV dubs. they've told me that the adaption of Japanese to American idioms wasn't bad at all and that the translators used today actually have become much better than they use to be at adapting stuff that doesn't translate well. they've also told me they're about as likely to prefer an American dub to the Japanese original dub.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff