Welcome to Gaia! ::

Winner

Yes, the particular things that really bother the hell out of you. Be they even the smallest details, you cannot help but notice them.

Perhaps mine is the chin not moving when the mouth is. The image of a person speaking without having to move their jaw is what mind. I have a few others in mind, but I want to see if some of you have them as well.

I haven't seen this on the front page or in the last few, so I felt it would be a decent thread to discuss.

Liberal Smoker

5,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Eh, the jaw not moving is more of a budget thing, really.

Then again I'm not really nitpicky on animation in general; I just appreciate when it actually steps itself up.

Though I do laugh at those tricks they have sometimes, like when a girl turns around and it's just a shot of her feet, and if you watch it closely you realise her left foot does a full 180 and turns into her right foot.

Winner

Fungii
Eh, the jaw not moving is more of a budget thing, really.

Then again I'm not really nitpicky on animation in general; I just appreciate when it actually steps itself up.

Though I do laugh at those tricks they have sometimes, like when a girl turns around and it's just a shot of her feet, and if you watch it closely you realise her left foot does a full 180 and turns into her right foot.
Oh, I was just hearing that to make certain things flow easier it would cost more because of the need for more frames. I am not so sure about an animator's budget and whatnot. Thank you for the correction.

I think I've seen something like that before, and it makes me cringe when I think of the joints.
They're not exactly peeves, I'm not all that hard to please with animation so long as it looks decent, but thanks to the regs of the AMC, I can no longer watch a series without looking for super pointy chins and/or big lower lips. Or a lack of lips in general. x )

It's almost a game. It's actually not as common as you'd think it'd be.

7,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
SHAKY CAMERA FIGHT SCENES.

I hate this even in live action stuff.

Gracious Tycoon

Hoc cor mei metum atrum lacrimat...

I dislike the overuse of motion blur and distortion.
Seriously. I want to see two people fighting,
not two shape-shifting blobs hitting each other.
Drumsticks are the worst.

I don't see this one in anime as much as I do in manga,
but giraffe necks and bad anatomy in general...
It seems to happen more when the mangaka is drawing the opposite sex,
which usually means boys in shoujo manga, and girls in shounen manga,
though it seems to occur in shoujo manga much more frequently.

I've noticed this mostly in western animation,
but in some scenes, where an object is about to move,
the object is noticeably lighter than everything around it.

...atqui animus meus insaniam sanguinat albam.
Sunny Sanity
Hoc cor mei metum atrum lacrimat...

I've noticed this mostly in western animation,
but in some scenes, where an object is about to move,
the object is noticeably lighter than everything around it.

...atqui animus meus insaniam sanguinat albam.

I see this a lot. Depends on how hard you look. It's a lot better than it used to be, but still noticeable.
            It basically has to do with layering and detail.
            A background can be very detailed because it doesn't move. If there is ever an object that is animated within the background, it is a lot less detailed because of the fact that it has to move. Keeping something that's animated detailed and consistent is extremely difficult. To solve this problem, things like shading are left out or simplified, thus the object looks 'lighter'.
            This topic is perfect for me. xD

I don't watch a lot of anime for the sole reason of poor animation.
            I realize they want to cut animation costs, and maybe there's more to it, idk. But when Spongebob has better quality animation than most anime, that's rather sad.

Too many animes use still frames. Or like OP said, one thing moves (like the mouth), but nothing else. They don't blink, their expression doesn't change, no one's moving in the background. Nothing.
            This happens all the time. I get so sick of it, that now It will either make me skip scenes or stop watching an anime altogether.

Less offensive, but still awful to look at, are ~*fancy effects*~. From extreme amounts of spewing, glowing(!? O.o) blood, to 'ultimate attacks' that use screaming and big explosions to look 'epic', but really just excuse the animators from having to animate actual fighting.
            Those are two things that make a bigger impact when used in small amounts.
            Hell, even films and TV are guilty of too much action.
            I can't tell what's going on half the time anymore during action scenes.

But I digress.

I'm sure there are more that I could list, but this is enough for now.

Beloved Conversationalist

9,250 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
The low-budget episodes.
They annoy the hell out of me.
When it's something funny or serious and the character's got a SERIOUS DERPFACE going on.

But other than that I pretty much love no matter how it is animated. Anime 99% of the time looks better than real life, even if the chin is not moving.

Really, if they put effort into it, for me everything looks awesome. Problem is, they hardly ever put effort into it.
When they dont use enough frames (especially in low budget animes) and you can see the cuts between the frames, that almost phisically hurts my eye
Also, when they make movements (especially facial expressions like talking or walking) with switching between 2-3 different pictures and make long loops with them...
My only pet peve is art style. The style has to match the feel of the anime. And it has to be good art. I have literally not watched/stopped watching shows because of a slight change in style.

Questionable Entrepreneur

I personally find the lack of frames in most scenes dissatisfying. I like my animation to be fluid.

Dangerous Bloodsucker

3,600 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Profitable 100
I hate eyes that are waaaaaay to big. -_-

User Image

Winner

Kitten BeII
[ edited out ]
Jesus ********.

User Image
Kitten BeII

[imghttp://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss212/PiolkaPloka/Silly/1287710472430.jpg[/img]

My gosh. I think the animator was drunk. The eye just look like they're just stretching and melting off her face... At the caption, I yelled "HECK NO!" in my head. .__.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff