Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Ladykiller

I can tolerate some dubbing, but sometimes I like subtitled shows like .hack//sign(since my friend only has it it Jap. sweatdrop ) Shows like Rurouni Kenshin and Fruits Basket are okay. ('Cept, I would've liked it better if a woman did Yuki's English voice. x_x) Some shows just have bad dubbing and the voice doesn't match the character at all.
cause dubbed sucks... neutral some is good but sheesh subbed is alot better.

inuyasha and kenshin bleh I only watch rorouni kenshin but don't really like it inuyasha gonk I HATE IT!

I only watch subbs..if I have to watch dubbs..eh I might.but I won't pay attention >_>;
Because A) The translations are usually incorect
B)Many times there are parts in the dubbed that don't make sense that would have been explained in the Japanese version
C) It is more authentic and expresses the events closer to the writer's original story
D) Some people, like myself, are learning or have already learned Japanese and pefer to listen to Japanese rather than english because they have heard english all their life and also want to enhanse their Japanese vocabulary.
E) Many of the voices are rather odd...
Personally, I don't see the dubbed version as all that bad, I just prefer the Japanese version. But, people who don't know Japanese yet may want the dubbed unstead. But, personally, I have nothing aganst it.

~Serena
Oh! And also, sometimes they change the male characters to female eek (and vice versa) during the dubbed. it's really wierd.
Because Sometimes The Voices Don't Match The Characters. Though, For All The Hell We Know, The Subbed Version Does Too. Like Any Of Us Know If They're Good Voice Actors Or Not. We Can't Understand Them.

So People Shouldn't Make Such A Big Deal. x_x
Most people dont like dubs because they conflict with the anime's originality and culture. If the makers would take the time to get it right, show the voice actors the anime etc., There would likely be a little less complaining about it.
Okay, here's my thoughts:

1. Dubs aren't always bad. Some come out really well. I've liked the dubs of Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vandread, Slayers and a lot more.

2. Kenshin and other characters are supposed to sound like girls... sweatdrop

3. People who start hating an anime because it has a bad dub are silly. Just watch it subbed or something...jeez.

4. I usually prefer subs. This isn't because I think it's more literally translated (if you did that, it really wouldn't make sense). It's because when something is dubbed, they try to make the script match the lip flap. When they do this it means there's a limit to what they can write into the script. Because of this, sometimes the dub will leave out little key bits of information. sweatdrop

In conclusion: I buy the DVDs and watch both versions, usually. sweatdrop
Fyrsiel
Eyebrow
It's not.

I love how you back up your argument so well. eek

XD ehehehe.

X__x; I don't like dubbed anything. I don't like Japanese anime dubbed, just as much as I do not wish to watch Pirates of the Caribbean in French.

o__O;; Anything that is dubbed is going to lose at least half the quality of the origional product. You lose a lot of cultural experiences as well.

My most classic example is "Itadakimasu!" which means "I will recieve" and is traditional to say before eating a Japanese meal. It shows appreciation... y'know? Like "Thank you for this meal..."

In America, in stead of "Itadakimasu" you get "Let's chow down!"

which... is dumb... really.... there goes your sophisticated culture. -__-;

*That's why I enjoy subtitled anime. Sometimes they give you vocabulary and little lessons like that up in the corners of the screen. If you can't read it that fast then pause the episode. o__O There's nothing stopping you....

That's how I learned the Itadakimasu thing really...

Pluse, the japanese voices sound a lot better. They fit the personalities, the characters, and the right tones at the right times.

And sometimes you just hear funny words in there. XD "Bai-bai!" And you can get a good laugh at some Engrish...

Other times, those little japanese phrases are just so cool to hear and so fun to say..

o__o Like the japanese title for Full Metal Alchemist... which I still can't remember how to say correctly... But it's really fun to say. XD
Do you honestly think, that for one second, that subtitles in themselves are 100% correct? They're not, especially fansubs. Really, if anything, subs are almost just as bad as dubs. Because it's not the voices or script that necessarily matters. It's timing, you have to time subtitles as well a seiyuu's voice. Some things in Japanese take longer or shorter time than in English to say. That and a lot of things in Japanese just don't correctly translate into English to begin with.

Furthermore, have you even tried to say "I will recieve" before sitting down at your dinner table? I assure you, it doesn't sound right in English, subbed or dubbed.
Some dubs are alright, but I prefer watching it in Japanese with subtitles.
My two main nitpicks with dubbed anime are:

1. BAD choices of voiceactor for a particular character. Example: David Moo for Xelloss in Slayers.

2. Changing/watering down characters and their personalities. Example: Inuyasha. Or (from the Tokyopop manga) Yuki from Gravitation. He said dude. *Cringe*
Jinxed_Wish
My two main nitpicks with dubbed anime are:

1. BAD choices of voiceactor for a particular character. Example: David Moo for Xelloss in Slayers.

2. Changing/watering down characters and their personalities. Example: Inuyasha. Or (from the Tokyopop manga) Yuki from Gravitation. He said dude. *Cringe*

I certainly agree with your first point. Poor poor Xelloss... sweatdrop
because dubbing is normally done poorly
It depends on whichever anime. I agree with most ppl. The Inuyasha dubbed version is so annoying!!! Especially kagome's voice. XP
dubbed just sux... that is all there is to it..
WileyCoyote
dubbed just sux... that is all there is to it..
Try to think and spell at the same time for once, will you?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff