Welcome to Gaia! ::

Girl-Crazy Codger

lot of its just weeabooism tbh
Eh, I think that they usually pick really unfitting voice actors for the dubs. I find that abridge series usually have way better voice actors than the official dub. I don't know why the pick so bad ones for the English dub gonk And I also think it sounds pretty awkward when everyone has Japanese names but they all speak English.

Divine Whisperer

31,725 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
most of it's just weeaboo-ism. There was a time when a lot of dubs were pretty bad, but that time's gone. The only (logical) reason I could imagine wanting to watch subs more than dubs now is that there aren't nearly as many VAs in NA as opposed to Japan. So maybe you get sick of hearing the same voice over and over.. but that's the only real reason i can think of. Unless you're fluent enough in Japanese that you can watch raws instead, but then the whole argument is void because you wouldn't be watching subs... unless you think the english dub is better for some reason but I doubt anyone from Japan prefers english dubs.

With a dub in your own language you don't even need to look at the screen most of the time, so it's nice for when you have to do something else at the same time.
A dub tries to make sure you get the gist of what's going on at all times, unless the effect would be lost in translation, so there's really no reason to hate it for that.
The only real reason for me to hate it is if the voice actor seems to really not match the character, but even then I just bear it because it's in my language.

I can't stand people who still refuse to watch dubs.

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
BerserkLeon
most of it's just weeaboo-ism. There was a time when a lot of dubs were pretty bad, but that time's gone. The only (logical) reason I could imagine wanting to watch subs more than dubs now is that there aren't nearly as many VAs in NA as opposed to Japan. So maybe you get sick of hearing the same voice over and over.. but that's the only real reason i can think of. Unless you're fluent enough in Japanese that you can watch raws instead, but then the whole argument is void because you wouldn't be watching subs... unless you think the english dub is better for some reason but I doubt anyone from Japan prefers english dubs.

With a dub in your own language you don't even need to look at the screen most of the time, so it's nice for when you have to do something else at the same time.
A dub tries to make sure you get the gist of what's going on at all times, unless the effect would be lost in translation, so there's really no reason to hate it for that.
The only real reason for me to hate it is if the voice actor seems to really not match the character, but even then I just bear it because it's in my language.

THIS. This is so true. There aren't as many VAs in America or Canada here, and the bar to get in is a lot lower than over there. Check these links out.
Voice Acting in Japan
Voice Acting in America

Voice acting in Japan is so freaking huge that some of their stars go into the voice acting business in the same vein that an American pop singer might go ahead and do a movie or two. They're treated as almost B-listed actors; extremely talented and some even going so far as to have celebrity lifestyles. The best part is that if you're a voice actor, you could be ANYWHERE and IN ANY ANIME that your company allows. The only problem is that there are so many of them that the chance of you getting a job is slim, but that just means that there's a guy to get the specific voice that you want?

Over in America? Not so much. Past all the union issues, few people even acknowledge our voice actors or know their names. This might not be true, but I heard that most of them aren't even paid well. Few people ever want to actually go into the business, which explains our few pool of actors. Worst part? These pools rarely intertwine. Voice actors for anime almost rarely voice for those in American cartoons, and it's even rarer to get someone from the video game industry. Heck, Troy Baker is popular because he basically did all three categories. We just have so few because no one wants to get in there.

Actually, here's something to all you weeboos saying that an Abridged Series is better than an official dub. If every single one of these voice actors online decide today to join in the business, NO ONE WOULD COMPLAIN ABOUT ENGLISH DUBS SUCKING. I swear.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
BerserkLeon

you hear a lot of the same voices in the Japanese dubs, too. it's just that with subs you're reading the subtitles because you're not fluent enough in Japanese to watch it raw so it's harder to pick up things like that if you're not actually consciously paying attention to things like that.
Mitsuki Horenake
Actually, here's something to all you weeboos saying that an Abridged Series is better than an official dub. If every single one of these voice actors online decide today to join in the business, NO ONE WOULD COMPLAIN ABOUT ENGLISH DUBS SUCKING. I swear.

How does thinking that English voices in an Abridge series is better than an official English dub make you a weeaboo? neutral

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
Moronical
Mitsuki Horenake

How does thinking that English voices in an Abridge series is better than an official English dub make you a weeaboo? neutral

Crap, I meant "whiners". I was thinking about a comment earlier about someone saying weeboos.

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,925 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
I like dubs so I can multi task and not loose track of what's happening if I get distracted, but subs are better than dubs when a voice is so extremely annoying that I want to tear my hair out. (That only happens once in a while tho.)

Generous Giver

12,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
  • Trader 100
Yuzuno

Heey

Ruthless Roisterer

27,500 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Master Slayer 200
I think people have this huge stigma against English dubs and I'll see people automatically judge them as worse or bash on English dubbing simply because it IS a dub without even really giving themselves a chance to adjust to the newer version. Most people have typically already seen the show in its native language with professional voice actors and have already formed a biased expectation so anything below that quality is automatically deemed as trash and bad dubbing. There are a few anime where I actually prefer the dub version and a few where the dubs are indeed atrocious.

A lot of this also stems from the fact that people don't often keep in mind that it IS translating one language into another and I'll see people bash on English translations that get things wrong or don't copy a subbed version word for word even though translations from other languages are difficult. It's also much easier to spot mistakes and fake emotions in a language you're well accustomed to.

I also believe that the anime/manga business over in Japan and etc is a lot more stable and respected than over here in America (especially back in the day before anime became more popular here). Being an anime voice actor over in Japan is a legitimate job whereas over here a lot of companies end up having to use the same voice actors and try to force them into roles that don't fit their voices. Because of these restrictions and old biases there have been quite a few bad dubs but I think we're seeing an increase in quality more and more as of late.

For an example, I personally like the dubbed version of Saiyuki better. Baccano's dubbed version is literally to die for because they went out and tried to find people with the necessary accents for the characters (even if some were faked) and I loved it. Cowboy Bebop has a good dub imo and so did Durarara and a few others. I find it extremely interesting because there's also been a few anime where a Japanese voice actor had to try speaking English and obviously doesn't know English well enough. IMO it usually sounds like horribly garbled Engrish that's absolutely appalling to an English speaker's ears and I've seen it written off by fans as "sexy." Izumo's english speaking scenes (from K Project) had me both cringing and rolling with laughter at how absolutely bad it was yet fans called it "sexy" and "cool." =/

PocketFoxo's Husbando

It depends on the show. I thought that FMA: B and Gurren Lagaan had decent enough dubs, and I honestly hate Goku's Japanese voice.

Say "You just dont like change!" all you want, but that voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Generous Giver

12,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
  • Trader 100
Yuzuno

Heey
I love subs a little bit more but when it comes to multitasking, they suck.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff