Welcome to Gaia! ::

Just a small town girl...

Living in a lonely world 0.40425531914894 40.4% [ 57 ]
He to the midnight train going any-PONPON WEIWEI 0.12765957446809 12.8% [ 18 ]
I thought this poll was going to relate to the topic 0.063829787234043 6.4% [ 9 ]
Why do this for the gold? You don't even get that much 0.042553191489362 4.3% [ 6 ]
GIRL CHARACTERS SUCK (lookie here relation to the topic) 0.028368794326241 2.8% [ 4 ]
BOY CHARACTERS SUCK 0.021276595744681 2.1% [ 3 ]
EVERY CHARACTER SUCKS IF THEY'RE WRITTEN POORLY 0.19148936170213 19.1% [ 27 ]
I am apathetic to everything. 0.12056737588652 12.1% [ 17 ]
Total Votes:[ 141 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Well for me, they're just not as interesting as the guys. Don't get me wrong, I do like some female characters(Kikyo, Songo, Winry, android 18...), and I really don't hate characters. but like female characters that are mostly in mainstream anime I mainly dislike. Heres why:

DB/DBZ/DBK:
ChiChi: All she seem to care about is her son. When Goku was hurt after fighting Vageta, all she cared about was Gohon, even though he woke up and was told that he might not make it. At the end of DBZ/Kai I did like her a little bit but...

Bulma: When she, Gohan, and Krillen where traveling to Namik, she was a total lazy slob and blamed the boys for everything. She yelled at them for training and made them clean up HER mess. I guess after this she wasn't so bad... but yeah.

Naruto:
Sakura: Heres her bassically did in Naruto(before shippudden). Bash on Naruto and always gawk at Sasuke. Sorry thats pretty lame.

Ino: Another useless Sasuke fan. Great job with making female charcters in this series KM.

Tenten: So... Why is she in this series again? Oh right. Just to complete Guy's team. neutral

Pokemon:
Misty's sisters: They were very unfair to Misy by forcing her into that mermaid show. And to me, they were just annoying.

Jessie: Always compains at Jessie and Meowth when something went wrong and always made one of them do the work.

Anyways, I know not all females are like that and I also dislike some males like:

Naruto:
Naruto: He was so annoying and stupid.. "I'm Naruto Uzumaki and balablaba! BELIVE IT?DATTYBAYO!" Yes he stopped with the "Belive it/ dattybayo" thing, but he still is pretty annoying and stupid.

Sasuke: Started off boring. insta strong and whatever. Then became a d**k at the end of Naruto by leaving Konaha because he wanted revange and basiclly hurt his team over it, and didn't even care.

Pokemon:
Ash: He was okay 1st season. But he still sucks as a trainner and has been to 4 regions already and is on his 5th. K send out a pokemon thats weak agest this type and be serprised that you lost?

Inuyasha:
Shippo: Made Inuyasha look bad. Whined all the time. Was really no reason to be.

Sesshomaru's geen servent thing(it's been forever since I watched Inuyasha): Whines, Bark but no bite, no reason for being there.

Anyways, yeah to me, I find I like guy characters more, but I do have my fair share of hate for both female and male characters. I do see what you mean though. I mean whenever I see a girl hate Kikyo, they say shes a b***h, slut and all that and thats it. I don't really understand it. I never really went through that phase or whatever. Just never really thought there was a point in hating a character so much. Nor do I see a point in calling characters suchs names with no point.

Anxious Roisterer

4,400 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Timid 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Okay, to address a few things, this thread has brought up jealousy a lot and it makes a good point.
I just never thought that fictional characters could be the source of something like that, but feelings tend to go deeper than reality.
---------

As for the post concerning the limited number female character types and the response.
Woah, woah, and woah.
Let's back this up a bit.
The character archetypes you've listed barely hit the tip of the iceberg.
There are good and plenty of female character executed and written well, this is not the problem at hand, I can agree that there are many female characters in anime and manga that are written TERRIBLY.
But, there are just as many written with care and consideration.

Also to point out, a lot of the archetypes you pointed out have male character examples as well.
Garry Stu, Mr. Stoic Badass, The Tsundere (this is not a gender specific term), and the Shota or The Bridget.

The Mary Sue, I honesty cannot stand when people use this term in writing or anything.
As many people tend to get it wrong, and the fact that many people use it shame having flaws and good points to character is irritating. The traits you listed are typical in shojo, but remember shojo is a fantasy for girls quite young in age.
A power fantasy, shojos are meant to show the average, even the doudiest and plainest of Jane's can get what they want.
Just like how Shounen and Seinen are power fantasies for men, where life is just a hot blooded adventure filled with friendship, fighting, and getting girls to kiss you.

Strong and Sexy, this trope can be reversed with male characters any day, just pop his shirt open and give him a Katana or some badass weapon.

The Mega b***h/Tsundere: Also can be reversed, the aloof, bossy, and arrogant guy just around to boss the female around and be a plain old jerkass.
I could list so many guys who fall under this it's not even funny.

The moe eye candy, this is usually used in shows directed towards a male audience.
She's not exactly made to suit female tastes, she can, but the audience might be limited. This one tends to remind me of Japan's idealization on women, the Yamato Nadeshiko, the woman who is perfect, seen but never heard, and is submissive to male.
So she's not supposed to know these things, it's a fantasy character.
She feeds into the power fantasy for the male oriented shows I mentioned.

All female characters in anime cannot be pegged into these 4 character archetypes, and to even try would be ill-advised. There are people who don't like writing them yes, there are many who write females poorly, also yes, but there are just as many who write them wonderfully.

Did you mean soul or sole? There are plenty of both. lol.

You should really think about looking into broader genre's.
Maybe the problem is your looking in a limited amount of genres.
I'm sure many recommendations can be made to possibly change this viewpoint.

-------

Anxious Roisterer

4,400 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Timid 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
XxXI DA HOXxX
Well for me, they're just not as interesting as the guys. Don't get me wrong, I do like some female characters(Kikyo, Songo, Winry, android 18...), and I really don't hate characters. but like female characters that are mostly in mainstream anime I mainly dislike. Heres why:

DB/DBZ/DBK:
ChiChi: All she seem to care about is her son. When Goku was hurt after fighting Vageta, all she cared about was Gohon, even though he woke up and was told that he might not make it. At the end of DBZ/Kai I did like her a little bit but...

Bulma: When she, Gohan, and Krillen where traveling to Namik, she was a total lazy slob and blamed the boys for everything. She yelled at them for training and made them clean up HER mess. I guess after this she wasn't so bad... but yeah.

Naruto:
Sakura: Heres her bassically did in Naruto(before shippudden). Bash on Naruto and always gawk at Sasuke. Sorry thats pretty lame.

Ino: Another useless Sasuke fan. Great job with making female charcters in this series KM.

Tenten: So... Why is she in this series again? Oh right. Just to complete Guy's team. neutral

Pokemon:
Misty's sisters: They were very unfair to Misy by forcing her into that mermaid show. And to me, they were just annoying.

Jessie: Always compains at Jessie and Meowth when something went wrong and always made one of them do the work.

Anyways, I know not all females are like that and I also dislike some males like:

Naruto:
Naruto: He was so annoying and stupid.. "I'm Naruto Uzumaki and balablaba! BELIVE IT?DATTYBAYO!" Yes he stopped with the "Belive it/ dattybayo" thing, but he still is pretty annoying and stupid.

Sasuke: Started off boring. insta strong and whatever. Then became a d**k at the end of Naruto by leaving Konaha because he wanted revange and basiclly hurt his team over it, and didn't even care.

Pokemon:
Ash: He was okay 1st season. But he still sucks as a trainner and has been to 4 regions already and is on his 5th. K send out a pokemon thats weak agest this type and be serprised that you lost?

Inuyasha:
Shippo: Made Inuyasha look bad. Whined all the time. Was really no reason to be.

Sesshomaru's geen servent thing(it's been forever since I watched Inuyasha): Whines, Bark but no bite, no reason for being there.

Anyways, yeah to me, I find I like guy characters more, but I do have my fair share of hate for both female and male characters. I do see what you mean though. I mean whenever I see a girl hate Kikyo, they say shes a b***h, slut and all that and thats it. I don't really understand it. I never really went through that phase or whatever. Just never really thought there was a point in hating a character so much. Nor do I see a point in calling characters suchs names with no point.

I can agree with some of these characters you've mentioned, others I have no grasp of due to not watching the series in a long time or never watching it period.
Kikyo was the first female character I ever saw hated on here, and at a scathing level to boot.
I remember there were quite a few hate threads and sites dedicated to loathing her with every bone in their bodies.

I do agree, I don't understand or see a point in hating them so pointlessly, but I see from responses here that it may just stem from jealousy, OTP interference, self insertion gone wrong, and ignorance.
why do we hate what?
Maudragauda

So I guess I'm trying to find the pathology behind it? Where does it start? Is it just an internet thing? Or is there something deeper behind jabbing and hating on a character so badly?
And usually I noticed some people have the same explanation for that hate.
"She's a b***h" What makes her a b***h?
"She's annoying" What makes her annoying?
"She's a slut/whore/skank" YOU GET THE FREAKING POINT!
Rarely do I see people giving explanation to their reason, just saying "(insert insult)" but never "(insert insult and explanation as to why)"

What exactly makes them want to hate them and sometimes so vehemently?

I swear sometimes the way I've seen people react to female characters here, it makes me wonder if the character magically popped out of a TV/Computer Screen, killed their beloved pet, and then peed on their couch and everything they love.

Also since I'm probably going to get comments like "This is just how it's been and how it always will be", my question is WHY THOUGH? WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE THIS WAY NOW AND FOREVER?

or "People hate things just because and that's how people are" my answer and question to you again is WHY THOUGH? Explain it to me, because I'm truly curious and I hope to have my thirst quenched I guess.

So there's my question and answer: WHY? JUST WHY?
WHY DO THEY HATE THEM SO MUCH? AND SOMETIMES IN SUCH A DRAMATIC AND OVER THE TOP FASHIONS?

In particular, the phrases you mentioned above are common and likely preferred ways women attack/criticize. Whereas men I would think are less so. Or at least not in as noticeable/vehemently ways. Also I think this probably has something to do with the fact that the animes women are biased to watch usually involve some element of romance, or at least have a character that they can crush on. So when something happens that disturbs the desired outcome (eg. the character the viewers crush on gets a female interest, or a pairing is established that wasn't desired) the female viewers I think will react quite strongly due to their emotional investment in the anime. Whereas the animes targeted to men are more based in providing cool action and probably garner less of an emotional investment for specific characters by male viewers. Or maybe a different type of emotional investment, since female viewer's emotional investment seems to be romantic in nature.

Anxious Roisterer

4,400 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Timid 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
bobbieallan
why do we hate what?

Did you read the Opening Post or just the title?
I'm sure not all females characters are hated. neutral then again...

Dapper Ladykiller

Because people aren't seeing that male characters are written just as badly. Shallow, stoic male fighters are a dime a dozen and no better. I think female characters get noticed more because if her writer is blatantly sexist, it can come off as offensive on a very base level. But really, that doesn't happen enough to be an excuse.

We can try to discuss the issue on a deeper level, but let's just be honest. Girls are jealous that they aren't pretty and charming like the ones their watching, and they feel like their getting in the way of their slash fap material. That's it. neutral

For Tomorrow's Husband

Prince Siegfried
Okay this is what I see when I look at female characters. And I will do my best to keep my thoughts organized. please excuse my bad spelling I'm dyslexic and spell check can only do so much

Female characters are generic
Whale male characters range from a great number of personalitys, backgrounds, and quirks female characters seem to fall into a few categories.

The Merry Sue, An average school girl who is unpopular with boys, not especially smart, clumsy, may be nerdy, and usually spends her time chasing after or oogoling boys. She is just a representation of how the average teen girl views her self.
Strong and sexy: often use large weapons, often has large breasts, always scantily clad, usually a dominatrix like attitude. not much else to be said here
the mega b***hshe is always a supporting character to an immature male. her job is just to be the lecturing b***h and or to keep in line the lead male. (in other words needs protected)
The moe eye candy: she is just there to get her skirt blown up. She is usually VERY stupid. almost retarded seeming. She often dose not know to keep her clothes on or if she dose she always finds a way to loose them. She takes moe to the extreme. She often gets hurt by the enemy and I can even picture her tossing herself in the way of an attack ment for the main male.

there are one or two more that I don't feel like getting into right now (I may edit and add them later). But you get my point

The point is that it is very rare to find a female character with any real depth and what is really the worst part is that this often happens with minority's that they are portrayed in just a few stereotypical ways. But since when, I ask you, is female a minority.

It just saddens me that so many characters can be put into just 4 categories. I would make a better character than any of those fake overused personality's and I am pretty boring,

You ask why I hate female characters, It's because the people who write them don't even like them. They don't even have a sole or a real personality. Were are the light yagami's or L's of the female world, were are the Xerxes Break's .or the Seshomaru's

I am not saying that I hate all female characters but I do hate most of them
jesus ******** christ you're both blind and autistic

DO YOU ******** REALIZE THAT THE EXACT SAME "CATEGORIES??????????" CAN BE APPLIED TO JUST AS MANY MALES AS FEMALE CHARACTERS???

No, of course not. You're watching/reading shitty series where all the characters are shitty pieces of s**t, but you're too ******** busy hating on the females. Hell, you don't even know what you're talking about. ********.

For Tomorrow's Husband

and i am so ******** tired of all the slut-shaming

SO WHAT IF A CHARACTER IS SEXY?? STOP WATCHING THAT DEMOGRAPHIC IF IT BOTHERS YOU SO MUCH

Gracious Muse

9,900 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bookworm 100
I'm just gonna keep it short.

Any badly written character bugs me. Gender is no object.

I'm tired of a lot of the cliches in general when it comes to anime.

I won't lie, I used to hate on female characters, but sheesh, I was 14. I didn't know any better. I've mellowed out a lot since then. Now I just think that character bashing in general is immature. There is really no use in investing your energy in so much hate when you could be using it to be a fan of what you love.

That's my 2 cents.

Anxious Roisterer

4,400 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Timid 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Apple Anna
I'm sure not all females characters are hated. neutral then again...

I didn't say all female characters are hated, but female characters tend be hated more openly and judged harshly than male characters.

I think it's mostly from fan girls with their very dellusional fan crushes. Then there are the people who hate female characters just for the fact that they're female and no other reason; and most of the women haters are female. I'm not kidding, I have really met people like that.

It seems like sometimes people don't have valid reasons for hating a character; and I will be honest to admit that I have at least one character that I hate without valid reasoning. For some reason I cannot stand Ezio from Assassin's Creed. I really don't have a real reason to dislike him, but something about his character just doesn't set right with me. The only thing I can really think of is maybe it's because I prefer Altair and am tired of Ezio having more games than him. I guess that's silly and thus why I will admit that my dislike of Ezio is quite irrational. I still enjoy the games, though.

Though for me, any character I dislike is never based off of gender.

Edit: deleted my other paragraph because I realized how hypocritical it sounded. xD

Beloved Elder

7,350 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • First step to fame 200
wait is this another thread about sexism?

TL;DR to the whole entire thread.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces