Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Regular

7,300 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I notice in practically all anime I've seen that include a school, the main characters either sit in the back left corner, which just so happens to be the window, or second seat to the back (Clannad, Haruhi Suzumiya, Evangelion, to name a few), or they sit somewhere in the middle (Keima Katsuragi, Ichigo, Persona 3 & 4 protagonists, that's where Haruhi and Kyon originally sat)

And I always wished they would maybe have a character sit in back middle. Why exactly do they always so this?
If I'm not mistaken Japanese schools have assigned seating so it probably has something to do with their names.

Magical Lunatic

An excuse for scenery shots and reminiscing.

Magical Lunatic

Huuballawick
And I always wished they would maybe have a character sit in back middle.

User Image
User Image

Now I'm wondering where meduka sits.

User Image
because who the hell sits up front by the teacher where they have to actually pay attention and not offer us their insightful inner monologuing as they gaze out of the window? use your brain, OP.

Magical Lunatic

Albinus of Angers
because who the hell sits up front by the teacher where they have to actually pay attention and not offer us their insightful inner monologuing as they gaze out of the window? use your brain, OP.

emotion_awesome
User Image
LOL I'VE NOTICED THIS TOO
Death Note did it with Light, Clannad did it, and so many others! i know exactly what you mean bro ! it's probably just for character/story development
In Death Note, Light needs to be in a seat that let's him see the Deathnote on the field out the window in order for the story to continue. And In Clannad, Tomoya is stuck in the back by the window so that he's in a seat that let's him be seen as a slacker who doesn't look at the front of the class and daydreams out the window.
That's my theory on the topic.
Maybe characters are positioned by the author or the maker near the window so to imply that they are dreamers/love daydreaming/distant characters.

On the other hand, those who seat in the middle must stay there to gain teacher's -if not students' - attention.(in a bad way or a good way. Maybe if they are paid little attention, then that is to emphasize the character's personality.)
I dunno, I'm not really sure because I haven't watched all those anime yet but that's just my theory. rolleyes

Sparkly Gekko

DOROHEDOROBRO v2
Albinus of Angers

emotion_awesome
User Image
What anime is that screenshot from? Looks interesting.
Goddess Rukus
DOROHEDOROBRO v2
Albinus of Angers

emotion_awesome
User Image
What anime is that screenshot from? Looks interesting.

"Another", but I think you can google search the image filename and find out for yourself in the future.
i saw the title and laughed so hard because i knew exactly what this thread was going to be about.

answering the question though...i think it's just a staple for all main characters no matter what.
Ha! Now that you mention it, I realise so many animes I watched do that xd
I can't think of a good reason why though, it's seat for deep people ? lol idk rofl

Dapper Pup

I once read somewhere that they have main characters sit near windows or the middle so they don't have to draw the entire class room in the background in every scene.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
So it's easier to draw and animate, probably? If they were seated anywhere else, they'd have to draw the other students around them. But not every main characters sits second from the back window or the middle, though.
Sakura Latte
So it's easier to draw and animate, probably? If they were seated anywhere else, they'd have to draw the other students around them. But not every main characters sits second from the back window or the middle, though.

That actually is why they do it. Drawing people can be hard, especially in large numbers, so putting the main character by the window makes it easier for the artists.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff