Welcome to Gaia! ::

Good morning Bump
We had a Japanese/Anime club in our school for... 3 months and then it broke off. xd It was mainly because we couldn't organize what we wanted to do very well, couldn't find a teacher to watch over us and we didn't have a classroom to be in (besides the Japanese classroom). It was sad but we might try and bring it back next year. 3nodding *Hopeful*
Firkasa
We had a Japanese/Anime club in our school for... 3 months and then it broke off. xd It was mainly because we couldn't organize what we wanted to do very well, couldn't find a teacher to watch over us and we didn't have a classroom to be in (besides the Japanese classroom). It was sad but we might try and bring it back next year. 3nodding *Hopeful*

Good luck.

Distinct Hunter

8,200 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Excellent thread. Perhaps some of the reason why so few people are posting in it is that they're uncomfortable with such a clear and unflattering view at traits so many of them have.

The grand tragedy is that far too much of the fanbase are lazy, obsessed with self-indulgence, and possessing the social skills of a fece-chucking chimp. Just a cursory look around the AMC will show you what I'm talking about. I think it comes from the fact that japanese animation is amazingly availible compared to about a decade ago, but the fanbase is clinging desperately to the romantic notion that it is still the outsider hobby it was ten or twenty years ago.

In my case, I would have loved to be able to have an Anime Club in my high school, but instead settled on regular Animation Nights with my DeMolay group. It had the advantage of already being a group with a built in leadership system since the group was entirely run by the 13-21 year old boys belonging to it. We also had regular access to the Masonic Lodge for our meetings, and while the Masons didn't understand what we were watching in the least, they encouraged us nonetheless.

In my college, there was no Japanese Animation club, but most of the Gaming Club (read RPGs) watched it, so we piggybacked somewhat. That might be a good club to bond with if you have good leadership but not the numbers, but be forewarned, some of the gamers (which I am as well as a fan of animation, both reaching back almost 20 years now) revel in the same traits that you've been wrestling with in the anime club. And some bring them to levels previously unheard of.

All in all, perhaps you might just be better off forming your club outside of the school, with a local library as the meeting place. You'll be able to reach outside your school for members, officers, and resources. Perhaps with a stronger core of people from high schools, middle schools, and community colleges as well as those outside the educational system you'll be able to form a stronger and more lasting union.
Yeah i'm in an anime club but it seems i'm not "anime-ish" *more like geeky* enough for any of them. ((not to offend anymore)) The whole club are guys and there are only two other girls. Most of the guys there drool over me so I guess if you bring in more girls, you'd get more fans.
One way to bring in people is to advirtise + bribery ((trust me...it ALWAYS works)) say that there will be a massive meeting with anime movies, pizza, and drinks. people who are hungry or bother to read the signs would come.
Hope it helps 4laugh
YuzukiChann
Yeah i'm in an anime club but it seems i'm not "anime-ish" *more like geeky* enough for any of them. ((not to offend anymore)) The whole club are guys and there are only two other girls. Most of the guys there drool over me so I guess if you bring in more girls, you'd get more fans.
One way to bring in people is to advirtise + bribery ((trust me...it ALWAYS works)) say that there will be a massive meeting with anime movies, pizza, and drinks. people who are hungry or bother to read the signs would come.
Hope it helps 4laugh

If I have to bribe someone to enter an anime club.. no.. those kinda of people don't belong in there. Besides, they would just take what ever I'm offering, stay a few days, then leave.

It's odd how they don't consider you "anime-ish".. I understand there is a stereotype that is often followed.. but one doesn't have to be in that catagory to be considered an anime follower.
My school's anime club, JAM, is wildly popular and flourishing. I'm sorry some people's HS's suck.
saturdaypunk
My school's anime club, JAM, is wildly popular and flourishing. I'm sorry some people's HS's suck.
stare Well, that's your anime club, but were trying to give suggestions on wha would be good if there were sucky Presidents and Sponsorers. stare
saturdaypunk

Jealousy X3 Jealousy!
Some anime clubs dont work in high school mainly because some anime fan's arent secure with their popularity or aren't self confident enough to admitt they love the japanesse creations. ^-^ Mind you i'm not one of them
I know those problems all to well...

We tried to start an anime club at our school and it was okay...but...yea...we had to have a teacher in the room...cause of the rating of some of the anime...even if the student did have their parent sign a form saying they could...and the fact that we were in the art room and there were lots of stuff that we couldn't do without supervision...like using the art stuff.....it sucked....-sighs- it was worth it though...cause there were a lot of peoples that wanted to join...and thats how i met some of my closest friends! so even if it doesn't work out, you can always try again! that's what we might do....not sure yet....-sighs- sweatdrop crying
Lady Gaara
Got your attention? Good! To see the problems.. just scroll down.. or else you'll be bored with a beginning rant

In the beginning of my junior year, I came across a poster displaying an advertisement for a club featuring the game called "Go". But it also promised a link to other anime followers..

So I managed to persuade my friends to go ahead and come with me to check out what this club was all about..

The response of attendance was good, or at least fairly good for a gathering of fellow anime lovers in any H/s.

About 30 people showed up. All for the same reason:

Anime, not "Go."

Sadly, however, it turned out to only be a minor branch of the Multicultural Club.

Plus, the faculty sponsor was already juggling many other side branches.. some that were far more larger and important than that of The Go club.

So the "Go" Club that seemed promising for anime fans pretty much went downhill.. Besides, it was already originally intended for The game "Go" and not just anime..

So There it was..
A mass bunch of people who had their hopes for a club flushed down the toilet.

After a few mornings and a few lunch breaks of talking to my friends about the idea of creating a stable Anime club.. I summed up enough courage to take the lead and create a constitution and in some way get the club started.

It took a while, but the club was officially put onto it's feet and we had a faculty sponsor who was into anime as much as we were without being clinically insane.

~So.. Here starts the problems..~

~So.. Here starts the problems..~

1.) Laziness in Club Members.. and not just regular club laziness.

The club was but a mere baby, and we sure as heck wouldn't be getting any funding from the school, so we mostly had to rely on Bake sales and Game tourneys.

The Bakesales 2/3's of the time Flopped. Why? Because of the irresponsibility of the club members.

I would make announcements for every upcoming event like a broken record..and yet when the day came for a big money making event, I often found myself as the only one who actually brought anything.

The game tourneys however were mildy successful.. but only because the gamers tended to be more helpful. ( Gee, I wonder why)

2.) The people who tend to be..
Yeah.. You have some fans who are respectable.. but then you have some that need to lay off on the anime or the attitude.
I respect the fact that many fans are intro-spective..
But when they do things just for attention.. God. *rubs face*
The stories I could tell on that alone.

3.) Club Members are jumpy to get special positions.. but they only do it for the name.
When they are actually given the job to do something.. they just don't do it..

So when the Cabinet members failed to do anything.. I blamed myself for not making any instructions and pointing out where to go to them..

But then it dawned on me..
Their jobs and what they did was already mentioned in the Constitution.. I had read it to them, given it to them, talked it over with them, and told them what they had to do before.

I was mildly ticked at myself for that one.

4.) Getting people to come to Anime club sponsored events..
Ugh, I'm not even sure where to start here. Many times I've considered doing a few things.. but the fear of it being a total flop like for example; Many bake-sales and a few tourneys, has stopped it.

It just seems like people wouldn't dare come near a hoard of misfit sponsored activities.

But anyway, this pretty much concludes this.
If anyone thinks this belongs somewhere else, please tell me. I thought that the anime section would just be the most appropriate.

Comments, bumps ( which I hope I won't need), perhaps situations like this, or your own personal problems/achievements with your anime club are greatly appreciated.

We tried to do an anime club at our school but it never got started I think people just didn't really care.
While I never attended or even started an anime club in high school I have been to many in college (i currently attend college.) It's a little easier in that level since it's easier to get equipment, set up stuff etc.

However I have seen anime clubs fail at this level and all the reasons are fairly similar. This is some advice I have

1.) Get a good president: Big freaking duh here but I've seen anime clubs fail because of presidents who disorganized, overly otaku or just plain a jerk. You should find someone who is outgoing, tolerant and very well organized who has a passion for anime but doesn't necessarily center their life around it. This person will get things done and clear out problems you'll encouter

2.) Have devoted members: You already mentioned this in your original post but if everyone else is apatheitic towards the club no one is going to care. Make sure the major people who do the planning and organizing in fact want to do this and are willing to take their spare time and devote some of it towards the club.

3.) Start simple. I've seen too many anime clubs fail because they wanted an immedeate 100 person membership and began to plan things before they were even possible. I think far too many anime clubs don't watch anime anymore. The first sort of activity should be a viewing day, possibly after school to keep it a school activity in your auditorium. if you have a laptop or the school can loan you one it'd be very easy to set up with a projector. Pick a series for the club to watch, something that's very accessible to all tastes and genders like Naruto or One Piece. Also don't try and grab everyone who's a potential member right away, start off with a small group and build through word of mouth, this is how most of the sucessful groups I've seen have grown.

4.) Keep the Otaku factor to a minimum. Not everyone knows the works of Miyazaki and most people think "Dragon Ball Z" is the be all and end all of anime. These people however are just as important as the guy who owns every Cowboy Bebop OST so long as they're interested. Try to make sure the club has a relaxed atmosphere, a place to watch, talk about and trade anime. The purpose of the club isn't to show how big of an otaku you are, but to simply enjoy and discover anime.

5.) Have fun: Duh I guess but I've seen lame politics and petty bickering just ruin groups. try to keep that to a minimum, make sure people can air out their grivances and try to make sure that everyone is having fun. it's shouldn't be too hard but people's attitudes and stubborness can mess this up.

I hope this helps smile

Distinct Member

i think it's because some of us grow out of the whole anime thing...i have alot of friends who have drifted away from anime....but the rest of my friends and I are still holding strong 3nodding
At my High School, we encountered some of the same problems. Here's some solutions that I could think of.

To counteract ecchi you should have a mature and responsible president, this role will most likely be landed to a female. (Some people in my anime club wanted to watch Love Hina, problems to that one: #1 it's licensed, #2 it's close to hentai) We also had a responsible vice pres to back the pres up, he knew that the people wanted Love Hina, he wanted too, but he knew that it had questionable material.

At my school, we have two days of anime club each week. One on Tuesday and one on Friday. When the projector was available (It used to be available, but the bulb burnt out during the viewing of naruto), we showed anime on Tuesday, and we did whatever on Friday.

My club couldn't do any fundraising because there already were too many clubs and groups doing fundraising at that time.

In the beginning of the year, we had an online msg board, however, something went wrong and we haven't used it since.

For an event in your club, why don't you try teaching people how to draw manga style art.

At the same time, why not make bookmarks to sell at the school library (with permission of course), or for those that know how to draw manga style already, "Draw Your Anime Portrait"

We also have a bulletin board for our club to post upcoming events.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff