Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's another world...

with much more possibilities than ours...

BTW, why does ANYTHING interst YOU???

It is that way, imagination...
My imagination runs wild, I can't control it, that's why I think some series are so popular, the people who like them randomly wonder back to watching them!! 4laugh
Khavi
For me it's really the characters. If the characters are likeable, I can usually stick to a long going series. .
Well, I guess the reason some anime series are so popular is because of the story line!

It's original and it's addictive to watch!

Also, if people can relate to the characters, it's a lot easier to become attached to a story!

Trust me, I'm an author, I know wink heart
Full Metal Alchemist and Dnangel!!! 4laugh
1. Bishies. Lots of them
2. Some enjoy simple storylines
3. Card games help too. Yugioh and Pokemon only got more popular because of their TCG's
4. Popularity is contagious. You see someone enjoying an anime, then you want to as well
5. Bang and Flash are eyecatching, then nothing else matters after that.

All you really need for a good show nowadays is a long haired teenage boy with a sword and some explosions, as well as some girl to loathe for having a relationship with the protagonist, some mild humor and a love triangle, and you have a successful series.

5,375 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Citizen 200
  • Trader 100
Why people like a given show generally comes down to one thing: It captures their imagination, taking them on an enjoyable trip.

The reasons for this are many, but some essential elements are:

1. Characters that the viewer can identify with and/or empathize with
  2. A storyline that is of interest to the viewer
  3. Dialogue that is well-written and consistent
  4. Voice actors who project the personality of their character well

Note that if you're lacking any of these, far fewer people will enjoy the show. People who like cheerful, bubbly protagonists probably won't like a show that's about a gloomy, sarcastic goth (point 1). People who like romantic comedies probably won't like violent, bloody, serious action shows (point 2).

Some lesser details that can affect viewership are:
  1. Episodic shows that don't progress a central storyline. Episodic shows were popular in the 60's and 70's, and even somewhat into the 80's, but it's natural for people to want to know, "what's next?" Just about the only kind of show that can get away without a progressing central plot are sitcoms.
  2. Excessive amounts of fanservice (of any kind)
  3. Excessive recapping or pointless dialogue. This includes shows where characters who are about to do battle stand and trade insults or verbal sparring for long periods of time before (or during!) battle.

Ultimately, it all comes down to, "does it allow you to suspend disbelief enough to enjoy it?"

8,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Arcadel

Naruto
________

pros:
-Inventive, inspired fight sequences
-Comedic value

cons:
-flashbacks and filler episodes. the series has hit its...135+ episode. A series does grow stale after a while.
-personal thing. I just couldnt get into Naruto that much.

Speaking as a Naruto fan, I must say, your cons are hardly objective.

There have been a few filler arcs, but it's only happened about twice at this point. Everything else has been quite relevant to the adventures of Naruto's life. And so what if it goes on for 1000 episodes? If the stories are good and there is still something to talk about, I say, be my guest. In fact, PLEASE tell me more about these characters I've grown to love.

With flashbacks, you have to understand. If a person missed out on an episode, they're not likely to see it again until the DVDs come out or they are repeated (which, actually, doesn't happen often in Japan). Thus, if certain people miss an episode, they might not understand the drives and motives of a character's actions without those flashbacks.

And as for pros...you forgot one important detail when it comes to Naruto...the character designs. Kishimoto's imagination is so vast that he can give all of these characters their own histories and their own unique perceptions/motives.

This is what drew me to the story. It ISN'T just a lot of fighting sequences one after another, the storyline explores why people fight and who these people are on many many different levels.

Also, the surprise element. We're never really sure of what's going to happen next. Characters and situations fool us often so that we can't even really conceive of what's going to happen next. We may have a general idea...like "Naruto will survive", but then, we're also given a feeling of "how the heck will he get out of this one?!"
Truth is, there is no specific formula for success. Why is a band such as N' Sync commercially more successful than a profound one like Radiohead? Why is Bush president? etc. Not everything appears logical. As an artist, you just have to put your best foot forward, and hope your work takes off with as much success as you hope for. We have to admit, there is luck involved in a successful career.

I personally like InuYasha due to the fact that it has elements that appeal to me such as character design/personalities, humor, mood that sets in ancient japan, drama, etc. etc. It all boils down to a matter of preference. A good example is having a crush on a girl whom your friends think is unattractive. You kinda have an idea why, but you can't explain it in detail. Can you explain how Picasso's work became so successful? It's nothing but simple shapes and colors. It's HOW people see things, and not necessarily what they see.

I don't think it's fair to judge others by what they watch. Yes, you can say certain works are overrated. But that's an opinion that may or may not affect the success of the work(s) you're judging. In the end, either you like it....or you don't. And that's all there is to it.
PrincessNeko
Arcadel

Naruto
________

pros:
-Inventive, inspired fight sequences
-Comedic value

cons:
-flashbacks and filler episodes. the series has hit its...135+ episode. A series does grow stale after a while.
-personal thing. I just couldnt get into Naruto that much.

Speaking as a Naruto fan, I must say, your cons are hardly objective.

There have been a few filler arcs, but it's only happened about twice at this point. Everything else has been quite relevant to the adventures of Naruto's life. And so what if it goes on for 1000 episodes? If the stories are good and there is still something to talk about, I say, be my guest. In fact, PLEASE tell me more about these characters I've grown to love.

With flashbacks, you have to understand. If a person missed out on an episode, they're not likely to see it again until the DVDs come out or they are repeated (which, actually, doesn't happen often in Japan). Thus, if certain people miss an episode, they might not understand the drives and motives of a character's actions without those flashbacks.

And as for pros...you forgot one important detail when it comes to Naruto...the character designs. Kishimoto's imagination is so vast that he can give all of these characters their own histories and their own unique perceptions/motives.

This is what drew me to the story. It ISN'T just a lot of fighting sequences one after another, the storyline explores why people fight and who these people are on many many different levels.

Also, the surprise element. We're never really sure of what's going to happen next. Characters and situations fool us often so that we can't even really conceive of what's going to happen next. We may have a general idea...like "Naruto will survive", but then, we're also given a feeling of "how the heck will he get out of this one?!"

i'd like to point out that i did in fact say that everything i said was subjective. The things i put down in that "list" is purely opinion. I understand that there is a LARGE fanbase for naruto, and im not trying to knock the guys/girls.
-----------

anyways. I understand that people like anime. I understand that the characters really draw people in, in fact that's why im wondering why people dont have as large a publicized fanbase for other great, well produced anime's out there. What makes Inuyasha so much more appealing to people (primarily girls) than other sarcastic badasses out there.

I figured it was because the ones that i've noticed get a lot of attention, Inuyasha, yugioh, DBZ, etc., is because those are the most easily accessible anime's out there. Even Naruto is going to be on Cartoon Network some time in the future.
People just think anything on TV is something great. gonk
Kaasen
People just think anything on TV is something great. gonk

lol considering all anime is on t.v...unless you count flash.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. i don't really know why some are more popular
i like them because of the char. and because if you like the story line you have to watch it to the end. Like outlaw star and witch hunter robin >.<. but im with you on dbz...i loved that show as a kid and i tried watching it the other day and i have to say that i shut it of in 3 min. @.@

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff