About the Same 0.42 42.0% [ 21 ]
Total Votes:[ 50 ]
1 2 >

Shameless Sex Symbol

15,725 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Partygoer 500
Hey all. So my coworker and I got into another silly argument, and who better to solve our disagreement than the internet!

Basically, he thinks anime/manga has more "fanatics". His definition of fanatics are both those who'd spend lot of money on cosplay and those who'd spend lots of money on merchandise (and those who do both of course). He did agree with me (after a bit of arguing on this point too) that the anime/mnaga fandom is much smaller in the US than the comic book fandom, so he revised his statement to say there are more fanatics in comparison to the fandom as a whole. So for example, if there are 100 people at an anime cons, 50 of them would be hardcore fans while the other 50 would just be there to have a good time and buy a few things. Comic conventions might have 300 people, but only like 70 "fanatics".

I think there have to be way more hardcore comic fans than anime/manga fans. Comics have been around WAY longer in the US and anime has only really been popular in like the last 10 years or so. The average comic fan is probably like 35, where the average anime fan is probably 20. Older people in general have more money to spend and have been involved in the fandoms longer, so they're more likely to be at a "fanatic" level in my opinion. I also think it'd be easier to be qualified as a comic fanatic...comics and their merchandise tend to increase in value much more than mangas and their merchandise. If you have comics worth a couple hundred dollars, I think you be a comic fanatic, whereas you'd be hard-pressed to find a manga worth even 100 bucks due to the large quantity they're printed in and the fact that they aren't nearly as old as the comics that are worth a lot.

Anyways, thoughts? I'm an anime/manga/cosplay "fanatic" personally and don't really care for comics, so maybe my take on things is skewed, but I've been to a few comic cons. But my coworker is the type the reads Naruto, Bleach, and a handful of other manga and anime and that's it and has never been to a con, so I think my guess would be more accurate than his xD

mabu janai's Husbando

Handsome Hero

I think it's largely even, really.

Questionable Conversationalist

Either way we're all losers. I've always found comic fanatics to be worse than the animoo mango fanatics I've run into though. It's like they've got god complexes that they're the original holy race of nerd.

Dedicated Tactician

Milady Alluca
Either way we're all losers. I've always found comic fanatics to be worse than the animoo mango fanatics I've run into though. It's like they've got god complexes that they're the original holy race of nerd.

This. One thousand times, this.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Milady Alluca
feh, don't they know that's the bibliophiles. xp

Questionable Conversationalist

Mugetsu Ookamiza
Milady Alluca
feh, don't they know that's the bibliophiles. xp
Holy dang you're right, I forgot about the Ancient Ones

Shy Gawker

8,650 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Consumer 100
I'm biased towards manga so I typically think comic people are more fanatic and from my experience they also tend to be more critical towards newcomers.
they're all ok neutral

Shameless Sex Symbol

15,725 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Partygoer 500
Maybe I should clarify a bit. I don't mean fanatic to be a negative word. I guess you could see it as one, but thinking more along the lines of someone overly passionate about it.

Shy Seeker

Washu_Takahashi
"50 of them would be hardcore fans while the other 50 would just be there to have a good time and buy a few things"i fit in the have fun catagory but then again i nvr cosplayed/felt the need too but i also only been to one.............my personal opinion is that there is more comic fanatics but anime/manga has more cosplayers than comics but also i find that people who like comics tend to argue more and get crazier simply because their is so many variations,hint DC/Marvel...i read a few comics but i never collected(besides buying one or 2 xmen when i was little)(xmen comics were seemingly more avaialible far as i remember when i bought 2 or 3 back then as i didnt comprehend buying a seperate one than my brother lol)i find manga more accesible than comics online(i dont buy either)

tl:dnr?*to people reading)comics=fanatics because people argue over different timelines(variations).
anime/manga=more book like,more likely have 1 plot/storyline w/o variations hence less confusing and arguing over obvious stuff.

Shy Seeker

Bliss-filled Oblivion
Milady Alluca

This. One thousand times, this.
more like over ninethousand!!....but tbh it seems their is more nerds etc type some reason on comics than anime/manga..i guess it is the super hero comics that stand out opposed than most manga since their is different types of manga in wich most are irl based far as sterotyping and comparing both comics/manga

Golden Spark

It doesn't really matter what medium it is in, you would always at least have a fair share of crazies in each and every fandom. But crazy in a good way? Never met comic nerds, so I can't really comment on that but I think there might be some people who show off animu merch that can be cool I guess.

I have yet to see a mango fan in real life, but online they are generally awesome as well.
Dona Amora de Crema
I'm biased towards manga so I typically think comic people are more fanatic and from my experience they also tend to be more critical towards newcomers.

iawts Comic people always cold shoulder the new comers. They never want to be helpful about where to start, even though there is a ton of it and constant reboots. The elitism if off the charts. God forbid you say you like the movies... And it's general consensus that everything just sucks since Civil War.

I'll take animanga fandom any day with all it's BS than the ******** of Comic Book fandoms.

Romantic Senshi

11,300 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Friendly 100
  • Signature Look 250
Comics. =x

Romantic Senshi

12,425 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Signature Look 250
Comics. =x