Welcome to Gaia! ::

Who believes women are portrayed negatively in most anime?

Yes 0.45726495726496 45.7% [ 428 ]
No 0.54273504273504 54.3% [ 508 ]
Total Votes:[ 936 ]
This poll closed on April 15, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 >

Who believes women are portrayed negatively in most anime?
Hmmm...In the anime I've seen with women ((I usually don't watch anime containing females)) They look like sluts out of hell...But there are respectable ones...somewhere.
It's a wellknown fact that as far as women's rights goes Japan is way behind. It's not surprising that they are treated badly in anime since in Japan they have a VERY patriarchal culture. For instance, woman have to wait six months before remarrying, but men can get remarried right away after a divorce.
Not... particularly. Unless you find sex negative.
Well, considering the fact that Japanese women used to be held under the opinion that they were the weaker sex, it is only natural that they are portrayed negatively in most anime.

But nowadays those bonds are being broken little by little, and depending on which anime you watch, the way women are portrayed differ.
It depends, there are anime's that do portray anime girls as sluts. But they do have anime's that portray girl anime characters as heroes. So there are two sides of both. 3nodding
Kaizoku_Akito
It's a wellknown fact that as far as women's rights goes Japan is way behind. It's not surprising that they are treated badly in anime since in Japan they have a VERY patriarchal culture. For instance, woman have to wait six months before remarrying, but men can get remarried right away after a divorce.
<knaws on you!>

Though you are right, aren't men also portrayed negatively when they look like complete assholes and are "funny"? ...
Little Indigo
Well, considering the fact that Japanese women used to be held under the opinion that they were the weaker sex, it is only natural that they are portrayed negatively in most anime.

But nowadays those bonds are being broken little by little, and depending on which anime you watch, the way women are portrayed differ.

That's true. It really depends on the manga you are reading
It depends....really u need to remember that times are changing.....if u want an example look at Akira and then look at Kare Kano...
posibly. its mostly because the vast majority of anime and manga are created by men (then again, there's always clamp xp , and Rumiko Takahashi xd )
Anime makes women out to be feather brained stupids that only want to fall in love and beat people up...and theyre all pretty grrr gonk
One of the things that annoyed me when I tried watching Gundam (08th MS Team, if you were wondering) was that there was this female character, with a doctorate or something, competent and professional... and then when the "new pilot" of the Gundam walked by, she turned into a giggling schoolgirl, and did not regain any of her intelligence.

For some anime series, women are portrayed as nothing more than love interests, potential or otherwise. Still, a lot of the shoujo I've seen do give female characters their due.

It's all a matter of which anime you watch, I suppose.
Little Ryoko
Anime makes women out to be feather brained stupids that only want to fall in love and beat people up...and theyre all pretty grrr gonk

lol, and then they warp that sometimes, in shows like excel saga.
Women are protrayed by a cultural generalization... its the same way in all countries.

Not all middle aged women are sex starved and ******** around all the time as Sex in the City would have us believe. Its a role... a popluar one thats many often times portrayed... thats just the way it is.

Don't like it? Then maybe you shouldn't have been born with two X Chromosones... whiney broads...

please note the last line was entirely sarcasim
Chibi Baka
Kaizoku_Akito
<knaws on you!>

Though you are right, aren't men also portrayed negatively when they look like complete assholes and are "funny"? ...
Men aren't going to be "better" 100% of the time in anime- it varies from author to author. But on the whole, art generally reflects culture, so you'll find this occuring more in Japanese expression.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff