Kawaii Wife

what is anime: animation
what isn't anime: stuff that isn't animated, like live action s**t

you'd think this would be super simple s**t, but people are ********
So As I Pray

you'd think this would be super simple s**t, but people are ********]

Hmm.. why do I see you around so much .-.

Khraleon's Wife

Kawaii Wife

-PandaCha
So As I Pray

I have no life.
I exist only to be here and be frustrated with people.
So As I Pray
-PandaCha
So As I Pray

I have no life.
I exist only to be here and be frustrated with people.

Fair enuf. You should try knitting; I hear it's on the rise right now.

ksynhc's Spouse

Unsealed Spirit

I have no thoughts. ninja

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Anime is defined... In our dictionary... As animation from Japan.

If you're going to say that the word "Anime" should cover all cartoons regardless of origin, then I have to ask... Why would we assign that distinction to a foreign word, rather than to our own word, cartoon?

Shopper

-PandaCha
I just wanted to leave this here.
Thx for the vid emotion_yatta

Khraleon's Wife

Kawaii Wife

The Fullmetal Narcissist

If you're going to say that the word "Anime" should cover all cartoons regardless of origin, then I have to ask... Why would we assign that distinction to a foreign word, rather than to our own word, cartoon?

Because white people like to create a bunch of arbitrary categories for everything and then bend the meaning of foreign words to fit their needs.

anime is short for animeshon (with a few missing accent marks) which is literally only the japanese pronunciation of animation. it doesn't discriminate. the same with manga and comics.

Hilarious Codger

So As I Pray
The Fullmetal Narcissist

Because white people like to create a bunch of arbitrary categories for everything and then bend the meaning of foreign words to fit their needs.

anime is short for animeshon (with a few missing accent marks) which is literally only the japanese pronunciation of animation. it doesn't discriminate. the same with manga and comics.

People just don't want to come to terms with being older and still liking cartoons.

By giving it a different name, despite it having the same meaning, people trick themselves into thinking the thing they like is different.
Despite the fact that it is not.

In the end, we are all watching cartoons.
It is all the same thing, stylistically different but at the core of it, completely the same thing.
I fell asleep for a few minutes and then woke up and couldn't drift off.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
So As I Pray
The Fullmetal Narcissist

So, for those of us who specifically like Japanese animation, you're saying we should go back to the dark days of calling it Japanime and Japanimation? Because I'll tell you right now, even if the popular definition of anime did change, it wouldn't change much about the community. This forum would be called "Japanime/Manga/Comics," and you still wouldn't find very many discussions about western animation here.

Just imagine having to show everybody your MyJapanimeList.com profile!
The Fullmetal Narcissist
So As I Pray
The Fullmetal Narcissist

So, for those of us who specifically like Japanese animation, you're saying we should go back to the dark days of calling it Japanime and Japanimation? Because I'll tell you right now, even if the popular definition of anime did change, it wouldn't change much about the community. This forum would be called "Japanime/Manga/Comics," and you still wouldn't find very many discussions about western animation here.

If there was ever an argument for using the term anime for "japanimation", when it comes to convincing me, then there's one right here. Anime easily rolls off the tongue and is more aesthetically pleasing.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
LegendaryRandomVIllager42
The Fullmetal Narcissist
So As I Pray
The Fullmetal Narcissist

If there was ever an argument for using the term anime for "japanimation", when it comes to convincing me, then there's one right here. Anime easily rolls off the tongue and is more aesthetically pleasing.

But here's the problem... Some idiot is going to argue against the definition just because they want Legend of Korra to get the respect they think it deserves, not caring about the fact that they're asking for the collateral damage of lumping Spongebob and The Simpsons into the medium.
The Fullmetal Narcissist
The Fullmetal Narcissist
So As I Pray
The Fullmetal Narcissist

But here's the problem... Some idiot is going to argue against the definition just because they want Legend of Korra to get the respect they think it deserves, not caring about the fact that they're asking for the collateral damage of lumping Spongebob and The Simpsons into the medium.

Well then let him, it's always fun to argue over nothing.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
The Fullmetal Narcissist
The Fullmetal Narcissist
So As I Pray
The Fullmetal Narcissist

Well then let him, it's always fun to argue over nothing.

Him or her, whatever. I wasn't specifying any individual.
Although, if it gets that hypothetical person to shut up and swallow their bullshit while it's still in their mouths, then I'd honestly rather just compromise and use the term Japanime.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff