Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am doing a school research project on the anime/manga subculture and I need everyody who reads this to fill out this 'interview' sheet (it's supposed to be a 10-15 minute interview so try to put some time into your answers, but if you can only manage single sentences that okay too). It would be great if you could help me out.

Some of these questions might make decent discussion topics too. It would be great if you could fill out your (user)name, age, location and occupation, but it's not really neccessary...

~~~

Q: What is your first impression of the anime/manga subculture?
A:

Q: Have you ever attended an anime convention or know what it's like?
A:

Q: What do you think of the stereotype that anime fans are obsessive reclusives with a penchant for sex and violence?
A:

Q: Do you think anime/manga fans are somehow different from the Western comic fan? If so, why?
A:

Q: What do you think is the general appeal of anime and manga to Western fans?
A:

Q: Do you think Japanese culture itself is somehow integrally related to the appeal of anime and manga? In other words, what does Japan mean to anime/manga fans?
A:

Q: What do you think is the appeal of so-called American manga/anime, if any?
A:

Q: How can you explain the sometimes 'elitist' or 'purist' attitudes that some fans tend to develop?
A:

Q: What does the word 'otaku' mean to you?
A.

Q: Do you have any thoughts about the future of the anime/manga subculture (i.e. how much it will grow, ect)?
A:

~~~

Thanks very much!

A: Er, well, the first series I was exposed to was Ranma, which, I guess, is considered a classic. I liked it, I thought it was different from American cartoons, somehow.

A: Yes, I've gone to a few. ...So, yes, I know what they are like. Can be fun, if you plan for it.

Q: What do you think of the stereotype that anime fans are obsessive reclusives with a penchant for sex and violence?
A: It's not entirely true. Some of them are capable of intelligent discussion. Of course, there are many more who aren't...

Q: Do you think anime/manga fans are somehow different from the Western comic fan? If so, why?
A: Not really. Fans are fans--just with different interests.

A: It's so different, that it probably piques peoples' curiosity at first, then, if they like it, they'll continue looking for anime and manga, and so it spreads.

Q: Do you think Japanese culture itself is somehow integrally related to the appeal of anime and manga? In other words, what does Japan mean to anime/manga fans?
A: Many fans idolize Japan/Japanese/Japanese culture, probably because they like what they see of the culture that gets integrated into anime (sorry, that's a little unclear), or they like a series, and then start to like the underlying culture. Again, it's something that's different, and some people just like change, or new things.

A: Most fans dislike it...I don't mind it. If I like it, I'll watch it, and if I don't then I'll simply avoid it. The appeal is pretty much the same as anime from Japan, but...honestly, I think much of the stuff that's imported to the US has to be 'dumbed down' and censored to be 'suitable for viewing'.

Q: How can you explain the sometimes 'elitist' or 'purist' attitudes that some fans tend to develop?
A: I think fans of anything--sports, anime/comics/manga, films--will develop this (some of them, anyway). I think it's because they've found something they really take an interest in, and when it seems like other people are encroaching on their "territory", as in sharing something they deem of great value to themselves, they get defensive. It could also be that when someone feels that they've invested a great deal of time and effort into their hobby, they don't want others to just lightly state their opinions. Humans are territorial, after all.

A: Psycho, rapist, serial killer, *****, stalker...take your pick. The thing is that there have been stories from Japan which illustrate otaku (in the sense of deranged-anime-fanatic) as being people who do these sorts of things...it can also be argued that 'otaku' just means a really obsessed fan, but I think in Japan, that's the way it will be viewed. Not that I know for sure...but this seems to be the general consensus.

Q: Do you have any thoughts about the future of the anime/manga subculture (i.e. how much it will grow, ect)?
A: It'll probably just keep expanding...by how much, I don't know. At this point I doubt that it could become as large a phenomenon in the US as it is Japan--where you can buy (cheap) manga anywhere, and people of all age groups are reading it, and it's socially acceptable to like anime, etc--but it definitely has room to grow.
A:I think its a great way of expressing feelings or letting your imagination and creativity grow

A: i know what ones like...there are a bunch of poeple that hang out usually in costume and talk about the anime/mangas the've seen or read

A: i think its dumb and that people who stereotype anime/manga should watch or read it themselves

A: Yes because of the different ways stories progress and the character developments and also the character desighns

A: i think some poeple after reading manga, they believe it is better then western comic fans

A: i think Japan means to people an imaginative place with people with open minds

A: i think that american manga/anime is considered not as good by some people.

A: The fact that they like the story soo much that they grow onto it and think its the best thing in the world and they start to defend it and stuff.

A. i think otakku means a person who really enjoys anime/manga

A: I think the future of it will be great because of the many great artisits and other fans who enjoy it
A: Its a great way for people to express themselves.

A: No, Not yet. But I plan to try to attend Anime Alanta Weekend and Cosplay as Omi from Weiß Kreuz ^^;

A: I think its stupid that people are sterotyping like that especially when its not really true.

A: Yes in a way because Manga and Anime are different from Comics in that there more serious.

A:

A:

A: Not sure

A:

A. It means someone who is a devoted fan.

A: I think its going to grow.

A: The first anime I ever saw was Sailor Moon, at first I was weirded out because of the fighting, the transformations, and how all the characters seemed oddly the same in a way.

A: No, but I have heard from my friends that they are very fun and a good thing to attend, that is if you like anime.

A: What? sweatdrop sorry I don't really understand what you are asking.

A: No, not really compare an anime convention to a Dungeons and Dragons convention, it seems like the people are there to talk about a major thing in their life and to talk about it with other people like them.

A: That it's from JAPAN! Some people want to read or watch anime just to see what it is like and some of them get hooked.

A: Yes, I really do, people see that it is from Japan and that is interesting to them. It's like learning about new and exciting things.

A: I don't see all that much appeal. I mean it's great in all but, the original is better in this case.

A: I think that people focus and devote a large amount of their time to one anime or one interest, so if people bad mouth it or just poke fun at it without even expiriencing it, the fans will be offended and try to strike back.

A: In Japanese/Japan otaku means a hard-core fan, but in other places otaku generally means an obsessed anime fan. To me it means a loyal follower of the anime movement.

A: I think it will grow as more and more people realize that not all of the mangas or videos are bad or disgusting in some ways.
A: I was just awed. I think the first anime I saw was dragon ball or maybe sailor moon and the episodes just provided a completely different perspective on dealing with animation as opposed to the western cartoons.

A: I have yet to attend an anime convention, if only for the lack in my area. One kind of convention I would like to attend is a cosplay meeting where people dress up in self-made costumes of their favorite characters.

A: It is clearly false. Appart from my original child inclinations that drew me to anime, I still like it because of its great story lines and amazing character diversity. Anime fans are no more penchant for sex and violence than any other person, regardless of what they watch.

A: Somewhat. At least, for me, I find myself looking to a particular standard of anime and because of the very culture that forms it, the characters and story lines are very different from that of the western culture. Tragic finalies and beautiful deaths are actually welcomed in the anime world where the happy finalies in western comics are a must. (or so i've seen)

A: The variety of topics and plots. I mean, you can see anything from amusing little Ranma 1/2 to the amazingly complicated phylosofical existentialist questions posed by Neon Genesis Evangelion. There is something for everyone.

A: For me, it is. I've found myself more open to discovering about Japan, its history and culture as a consequence of my love of anime. I've also found many learning the language as part of their anime obsession and personally love the Japanese cultural mindset to the point that parts of it form my own mind set.

A: Like I said before, the variety of storylines, plots, and themes is a plus. Also, as another factor, there has been such a huge boom through different tv channels that dedicate full parts anime (ex. Anime Unlimited and some of the fox saturday mornings, etc) that people are just expossed to it early on.

A: Some people get so caught up on one anime or style that they because almost life dependant on it. They obsess on it, are defensive, and become altogether closed minded.

A. ???

A: I think the current boom will continue, especially as anime/mange because more available in the us at more affordable prices.
A: Well, I liked cartoons, so I figured I'd give it a shot, because I liked the animation. I'm interested in cel shading...and cartoons...heh.

A: Nope, none have ever come close enough for me to attend one, or know what its like.

A: I think that's not very substantiated. They just happen to be the only ones who get noticed...

A: A comic fan is a comic fan, not a WHOLE lot different.

A: If they like it, fine, they'll buy more. It really depends on personal tastes.

A: Yes, I think Japanese culture is related to the appeal of anime/manga. Many fans find Japanese culture interesting, in a sort of wacky way in some cases. Unfortunately, sometimes some of the culture is lost in translation and censorship.

A: I don't think the appeal is as great as that of Japanese manga/anime. Uncut and uncensored Japanese anime is a lot more interesting in my opinion. American manga/anime lacks that Japanese...charm, so to speak.

A: Well, as with anything that has fans, there's sure to be some people that think their favorite is the "best." If they like a certain thing that much, they defend it when discussing the topic. It's kind of amusing to watch actually.

A. Otaku can be a style of drawing characters, involving cel-shading and most likely some exaggerated features. Otaku can also be a crazed fan, hehe.

A: I think it will have to start getting more original (at least tv anime will...), much like how FLCL and several other Gainax productions were/are. I think it will expand and become more popular, at least for a while.

A: I liked having other people to talk to about my interests, although I sometimes wish that I was still a mildly obsessive Digimon fan who had no idea what anime was, due to some of the n00bs and elitists that make up the fanbase.[/blue]

A: I haven't been to one yet, but I've heard that it's a really fun, friendly atmosphere.[/blue]

A: I think that it's a stupid stereotype. It could be applied to any type of fan.[/blue]

A: I don't think they're that different. They're just into different things.[/blue]

A: It has appealing characters, good plots, there's something for almost anyone, and it's different from the typical Western stuff. It is from a whole 'nother culture..[/blue]

A: I sort of answered that in the last question. I think to some anime fans, Japan is a place where demons, giant robots, and magical schoolgirls run rampant, and anyone can become a manga-ka. I personally think it's interesting to find out about another culture, even though I know that anime is far from the best way to do it.[/blue]

A: Do you mean stuff like Teen Titans? I don't care where it's from, as long as I like the plot or the characters.[/blue]

A: I can't, and I find them to be annoying. (I think I may come across as one of them sometimes though sweatdrop )[/blue]

A: I try to avoid using that word, because it inevitably spawns an argument about the definition. I understand it as obsessive fan, though I know that many people use it to mean big fan of anime.[/blue]

A: Anime seems to be getting more and more poular everyday.[/blue]
A: Like many, I was first introduced through DBZ 3nodding I loved it, because it was a cartoon, yet it had a very well thought out plot, great animation, and actually had a point, unlike many american cartoons.

A: Yes. I went to Sugoi-con '03.

A: sweatdrop I've never heard this lol. I would have to say that alot of animes are about that.....true....but anime is nothing worse than most tv shows and things on american cable television. But as the same as cable, they do not all have sex and violence in them.

A: I would have to say no, since I personally read both xd

A: I think its where they have the same characteristics, some of them atleast, of a regular tv show, like a soap opera or a sitcom, yet their cartoons...and face us, some of us just never got out of that cartoon stage.

A: Most people I know that read/watch manga/anime usually think highly of Japan and Japanese culture. One of my friends sold all of his posessions and moved to Japan sweatdrop

A: The fact that it is the same style of japanese anime, that we love, and yet as points and references that we as Americans can understand more than we can Japanese things. Like when your reading a manga and someone is like "You look just like (insert random Japanese pop star)" and you are left confused. Because they could be complimenting them or insulting them. Yet if someone in an american comic says "You look just like Micheal Jackson", you know they are insulting you xd xd sweatdrop

A: I dont know lol I havent encourted any of this attitude actually sweatdrop

A. It means someone is a fan of anime/manga 3nodding

A: I can only hope it grows to allow us to view more of this wonderful part of japanese culture 3nodding

Sex Symbol

15,525 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Conventioneer 300
Name: Morbid Gnome

A: My first impression was that they were all crazy psychopaths. But my best friend convinced me to give J-anime a chance.

A: I've never attended one, but I've seen pictures. Some of the cosplays are scary.

A: I think that that stereotype only applies to otaku.

A: No. In fact, many people are fans of animation and comics in general. We don't care about the origin of things.

A: It's from Japan. There is a stereotype that J-anime is more grown up and adult than American cartoons (I believe this stereotype to be false). So people find it okay to watch Japanese animation, and not American animation.

A: To the otaku and n00b-fans, Japan is Utopia. If it doesn't come from Japan, it is crap. If it comes from Japan, it is good. To the more level-headed fan, Japan is just another place in the world. It has an interesting culture and history. It has its good points and its bad points.

A: Some fans are starting to realize that not all American made things are crap. American anime and manga have the same apeals that Japanese cartoons have. The detracting factor for some fans is the fact that it's made in America, not the "promised land of Japan".

A: I think I already explained this. Cartoons have a stereotype of being for children. J-Anime has a stereotype of having adult themes. Because of this, Japan is seen as grown-up and cool, and America as childish. This causes the 'Japan is Utopia' and 'J-Anime must be watched this way because...' attitudes.

A. I follow the traditional Japanese definitions. The literal meaning is 'your home'. The slang definition is as follows.
Otaku - someone who is so obsessed with something that the person never leaves their home unless the obsession calls for it. Otaku have no social life. They are also generally considered to be rapists, murderers, *****, stalkers, kidnappers and the likes.

A: Not really. I hope the the elitism dies down, and people stop being so racist (saying that one countries products are better automatically because of where they came from).
Animagess
I am doing a school research project on the anime/manga subculture and I need everyody who reads this to fill out this 'interview' sheet (it's supposed to be a 10-15 minute interview so try to put some time into your answers, but if you can only manage single sentences that okay too). It would be great if you could help me out.

Some of these questions might make decent discussion topics too. It would be great if you could fill out your (user)name, age, location and occupation, but it's not really neccessary...

~~~

A:

A:

A:

A:

A:

A:

A:

A:

A.

A:

~~~

Thanks very much!

1. Pokemon was my first anime and (since i was still in second grade) I thought it was very good. The art styles are different from other cartoons.

2. yes i've gone to cons before a neat experience

3. err..... i think thats kinda stupid....

4. they're not too different. just different things they like.

5. its good. almost anyone can like anime if they see the right one

6. yeah... a lot of japanese culture goes into anime and many people appreciate this and want to know more about it.

7. anything is fine as long as i like it.... nice plot, good characters, etc.

8. uhh... i have no clue on this one

9. well... a big fan i guess...

10. "the mnaga generation has come...."
A: when I first learned of anime I was pretty shocked. Inuyasha for instance, you can see how much people worship this stuff, in tokyo, a whole subway is dedicated to inuyasha...'s 3rd movie! I first was in love with pokemon, which I thought was everyone's first, but seeing to some people's first's, obviously I was wrong.

A: yes, I have. My first one was animenext 04. It's really fun, but only (in my expirience) to thoose who are into things of that such. I thought It was a blast, but I know I could of had a better time, well, that's what this year's con's all about!

A: I see in alot of anime, along with anime fans, there is violence, and alot of sex appeal. One thing I'm bothered with is, in manga and anime they only expose women. (no I do not want men exposed) I also know hentai is big with the anime fans. But I also know many fans are against that. leave the hentai and ideas like such to the original creator. I know If I created an anime, I would be most embarrast seeing my hard work turned into porn...hentai in this case.

A: I do think so. In anime fan's veiw, you can really see the obsession, because it is more fantasy. There is no way you can possibly match up with one character which, makes it all the better. I also think, for some reason, it's funner to watch, I like the eyes. But in most cases, ecspecially when you watch anime, it is much cornier then western comics, and they explain everything that happens. But back to fans. I know there is a difference, but I seriously cant see it. All I know is, I'm a MUCH bigger manga/anime fan, then I'll ever be of western comics. Oh I've got it. The character designs. in western comics, it's more relistic, in anime, anything works. Same with the plots.

A: to western fans anime is a flop off of there fan view. Because in reality it is. I also know fans of that genre think the plots are stupid, you cant desiper what the pictures are (like the eyes) I also think they dont see the same way because of it's relism.

A: Ever where in manga, the setting will do with japan. Now in almost all comics the style character does not at all resemble a japanese civilian, but the setting, (sometimes language) the names (manly) and the cloths (ex: kimonos, school girl uniforms shoes ect.)

A: american anime? Idont think I've heard of it. if you mean americans into manga, or the idea of americans creating manga, it's all good. I love making manga, and just becasue where were from shouldnt effect our passion, hobby, art ect.

A: most fans.. (ecspecially in my cast) feel as if the characters are real. they despise them, feel sorry for them, or love them. it's also hard to imagine that character with a dfferent voice, or picturing the voice actor/actress, because you've grown so much to the character, that voice over, is in fact the character.

A.Otaku is extremely negative in meaning as it is used to refer to someone who stays at home all the time and doesn't have a life (no social life, no love life, etc)

Usually an otaku person has nothing better to do with their life so they pass the time by watching anime, playing videogames, surfing the internet (otaku is also used to refer to a nerd/hacker/programmer).

In the Western culture, people confuse otaku to be something positive like "Guru". If you think about it, it's not really good to be called a guru if it means you are a total loser who can't socialize with other people except through the Internet.
A: well I guess the plots, from guns, swords..manly guns will form to the next generations new weapon. Also the characters will change. In most manga there is a hero, a badguy, the innocent one/group, and the sidekick, but that will also, in my opinion will change

Sex Symbol

15,525 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Conventioneer 300
Bishonen Hunter
A: I don't see all that much appeal. I mean it's great in all but, the original is better in this case.

Since you are using these surveys for a report, I'd like to clarify some inaccurate information for you.

When this person says 'the original is better', they are basically saying that American animation is better.
America started drawing in a 'style commonly associated with the stereotypical Japanese cartoon'. The Japanese got the idea of animation from America.
~America started animation, the Japanese copied America and improved upon it, America is now copying Japan.
Morbid Gnome
Bishonen Hunter

Since you are using these surveys for a report, I'd like to clarify some inaccurate information for you.

When this person says 'the original is better', they are basically saying that American animation is better.
America started drawing in a 'style commonly associated with the stereotypical Japanese cartoon'. The Japanese got the idea of animation from America.
~America started animation, the Japanese copied America and improved upon it, America is now copying Japan.

did you take a manga class (sorry you seem familiar)

Tricky Glitch

16,300 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Jack-pot 100
A:

A: I'd like to, but I live too far away to travel, plus I'm 'too young', as my mother would say

A: It's completely false, I admit, a few fans are, but not all, people generally tend to look at the bad side of things, rather than focus on the good

A: I'd say they're a bit different because anime/manga tend to have deeper stories, and make you think a bit

A: It's way out there with zany charatcer designs and plots, yet it still holds the same detailed features as realism

A: When you start getting into anime/manga, you start to develope a sort of...respect for Japan

A: It's the style that they all know and love, and the situations are those we can relate to

A: It's like everything else, once you're into something, it starts to become your passion, and you start to do it more often

A. at first I though it meant hard core anime fan, but I later learned that it was leaning in the direction of rapist....

A: I believe that it will be popular for many years to come

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces