Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kyuriko
.Ha.ru.ko.
I'm sure most of you here have quite a collection of anime and manga stuffs.
But don't you ever think that you're spending too much money on it all?
Every time I come back from a little shopping spree, I can't help but feel guilty from getting so many things...
I think maybe in all the three years I've liked anime, I've spent more than $2,000 on it all!
How am I gonna live life if my obsession grows?! gonk

Discuss:
- Do you think the prices for anime/manga and related things are fair?
- Do you spend too much on it?
- How much has your collection cost you?
- ... And other stuffs. o.o

Suncoast has ridiculous prices. $30 per DVD? Hell, I could get an anime on the day it is released for only $20 at Best Buy!

I'll agree that Suncoast has ridiculous prices.. and I work there. sweatdrop I only buy from them because I get the employee discount. I DO think thet Suncoast gets some awesome merchandise, like figures and such, which I buy on a regular basis, along with my manga. And don't you REALLY hate it when a DVD is $30, and only has 2 episodes? $10 per episode is insane.

In some instances, yes, I think it's fair. I don't mind manga pricing, though if it were less per volume, of course I would be happy. But I don't buy overpriced DVDs in a store. heart eBay

Undoubtedly, yes. sad

Whelp, I started tallying up my collection three days ago, and I haven't finished. It's well, WELL into the thousands. I have to go through so much stuff, it's quite daunting really.
.Ha.ru.ko.
I'm sure most of you here have quite a collection of anime and manga stuffs.
But don't you ever think that you're spending too much money on it all?
Every time I come back from a little shopping spree, I can't help but feel guilty from getting so many things...
I think maybe in all the three years I've liked anime, I've spent more than $2,000 on it all!
How am I gonna live life if my obsession grows?! gonk

Discuss:
- ... And other stuffs. o.o

- No. It's decent, only the DVDs should be $15-20 each like every other DVD
- Yes, sadly.
- about $500 including my yugioh cards.
- ::insert other stuffs o.o here::

Dapper Prophet

it's cause anime and manga don't have as big market as say nomral movies or nomral books so the charge more to make a profit ay least in amreica

6,750 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
Anime and manga is quite expensive. I've collected stuff for almost 2 yaers and have spent $1000- $1200. If animeand manga is what you love and it makes you happy then there is nothing wrong with buying as much as you can.

Lonely Phantom

7,300 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
i once calculated how much i spent on anime alone... *quick count* rough estimate for just the anime dvds i keep in my room and not the stuff i rarely watch anymore... $1550? >.< hopefully my parents won't find out how much has actually been blown on my anime fetish... i loveth meine anime!

12,050 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
I think that manga are way to expencive I mean $10:00 to $9:00 for a comic book and the anime can be even more expencive.

6,750 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
HarlequinDragon
I think that manga are way to expencive I mean $10:00 to $9:00 for a comic book and the anime can be even more expencive.

I live in Canada and I wish mangas here were $9.00-$10.00, but they are not. I pay $15-$18 for a manga, sometimes more. crying
Well, anime and manga has come down alot in price since I was a kid and the stuff was hard to get, and yes I do spend quite a bit on mine (mostly due to buying limited editions and artbooks), and by now my collection has probably cost me over 6k total. Anime is just so awesome, sometimes I just can't help myself. Hell I even have Kenshin's sword from Rurouni Kenshin.
$30 isn't a bad deal for a DVD. In japan, each DVD contains 2 episodes, and the official ones sell for $50. That's $25 per episode. In America they take the same thing and have about 2 or 3 eps per disc, and they add the subtitles + the English dub. And somehow manage to lower the price to $30.

I hear that all the Anime at Suncoast is pirated anyways. Something about how you can't tell that it's pirated because the packaging is professionally done and it looks EXACTLY like the official DVD.

Someone told me that there's a way to tell if a DVD is bootleg - if the English subs are exactly the same as the English dialogue from the dub, then it's not pirated. That's why my friends hate buying the non-pirated versions...the subs are just the English dialogue from the dub.

~And also, if you find anime on Ebay that's really really cheap, it's most likely pirated. It's always best to support the company that provided you with the anime.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff