Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Do you like English-dubbed versions of anime or the original anime with Japanese voices and subtitles?

Japanese voices + subtitles. 0.72727272727273 72.7% [ 216 ]
English-dubbed. 0.12794612794613 12.8% [ 38 ]
English-dubbed, 'cuz I hate following subtitles. 0.094276094276094 9.4% [ 28 ]
English-dubbed, 'cuz that's how the DVD is. 0.050505050505051 5.1% [ 15 ]
Total Votes:[ 297 ]
This poll closed on April 3, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

How many of you like to watch English (or Spanish, any other language besides Japanese) dubbed anime? How many prefer the anime in the original Japanese voices with subtitles? Why?

Personally, the original Japanese versions grow on me. I watched the entire series of Furuba with the original Japanese voices (and English subtitles), and when I saw an episode with English...it made me...very extremely distressed. Momiji doesn't even have a cute voice that matches his character anymore! Tohru's voice is deeper and scratchier! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! +dies+ However, if I saw the English-dubbed series I bet the Japanese voices would sound strange to me...I guess it all depends on what you're used to.
I like subs better....they're just meant to be that way...and the Japanese voice actors usually do a better job at things like emotion. The English casts usually just sound bored...like they don't really care what situation the character is in, they just read the lines they're given.
it really depends on the show but I tend to like the english dub over the original so long as the story isnt changed around just because it dosent take away from actualy watching the show, I realy don't like having to read as I try to enjoy watching.
Kholran-sama
I like subs better....they're just meant to be that way...and the Japanese voice actors usually do a better job at things like emotion. The English casts usually just sound bored...like they don't really care what situation the character is in, they just read the lines they're given.

I agree.
WitheredRose
How many of you like to watch English (or Spanish, any other language besides Japanese) dubbed anime? How many prefer the anime in the original Japanese voices with subtitles? Why?

Personally, the original Japanese versions grow on me. I watched the entire series of Furuba with the original Japanese voices (and English subtitles), and when I saw an episode with English...it made me...very extremely distressed. Momiji doesn't even have a cute voice that matches his character anymore! Tohru's voice is deeper and scratchier! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! +dies+ However, if I saw the English-dubbed series I bet the Japanese voices would sound strange to me...I guess it all depends on what you're used to.

thats not exactly true... I watched over 30 episodes of InuYasha in English, and I watched the first episode with subs, and I fell in love with it... now I can't stand the dub, but I HAVE to watch it if I wanna see knew episodes... crying crying crying

Also, threads like these are EVERYWHERE. Please have this one shut down. Please use the search next time and put your comments into an already existing thread... Thank You and have a nice day.
Subbed. Definately subbed. Unless they get more voice actors for the english versions, then subbed is ALWAYS better. So far, they use about the same 20-30 people for voice actors in the English versions. And sometimes they'll screw up the entire script in translation. Dubbed has never been good when compared to the real thing.
I enjoy both 3nodding

I'll watch the Japanese + Subtitles when I feel like reading. Sometimes I watch both. o_0

And I'll watch the English dub if it's edited well and the voices are just as great.

I try not to be biased -- I do try to give it a chance.
subtitle ^^
i hate english dubs stare especially how Tokyopop destroys any anime they can get their hands on.. domokun
Kholran-sama

I sooo agree.
so many times I seen this post always comes back time and time again

anways I like sub
Depends on the anime. I prefer the Japanese voices for Samurai Deeper kyo, but can't stand the Japanese voices for Saiyuki.
Kholran-sama

I agree completely, though the only one that has a bit of emotion is InuYasha... but I hate dubbed InuYasha anyway... and why did they give Jaken a high, annoying voice? domokun
That really depends on the money devoted to the production. If a lot of money was poured into the anime (as in Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke), the dubs are usually just fine. However, if the characters in the anime are very "Western," as in Hellsing, I usually PREFER the English voice acting to the Japanese. Overall, I prefer Japanese language with English subtitles.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff