Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Looking back, do you feel your personal 'starter anime' was appropriate for you?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on June 10, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Okay, first of all, this isn't a request line for your favorite anime, nor is this a thread to bash any particular anime. This is a list of what you personally consider to be (or not to be) 'starter anime'.
What I'd like you to do is to think of all of the anime you've ever seen and decide what anime would be the most suitable or unsuitable to show to someone interested in various genres of anime, list what you think might be the most unsuitable moment(s) or premise in the series and what the appeal might be. I'll give you an example with three anime:

Suitable:
Ah! Megami-sama! - Romance
Touchy Subject: Anime is based heavily on modified Norse Religion. Might be offensive to religious people.
Greatest Appeal: A story about an average guy getting an above-average girlfriend.

Suitable:
All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku - Action/Sci Fi/Comedy
Touchy Subject: Cyborgnization or bath house scene.
Greatest Appeal: Happy go lucky main character.

Unsuitable:
Urutsukidoji - Hentai/Fantasy/Sci Fi
Touchy Subject: THE ENTIRE DAMN THING!
Greatest Appeal: The _ORIGINAL_ tentacle demon apocalyptic anime featuring gore and the destruction of worlds amidst various rape and/or sex scenes.

See what I mean? I'm not bashing any of these anime, but rather determining whether or not they should be shown to someone new to anime. Urutsukidoji is a _very_ touchy series and should NOT be viewed by someone just getting into anime. I, and many other people I've talked to on other forums, feel this is NOT an appropriate starter anime (of course, we also feel that Urutsukidoji isn't even an 'intermediate' anime).
Suitable:
Evangelion- total action
Touchy subject: Human made evangelion to be controlled by specific humans and to defeat the angel thats try to destroy earth.
Greatest appeal- When the evangelion 01 completely goes berserk and destroys evo 04.
Suitable:
Excel Saga - total paroady

touchy subject - death, puchuus, world domination
Greatest appeal: the humor
Trigun - Action/Comedy/Drama
Touchy Subject - Contains (almost consists of) parodies on religion and morality, and to a lesser extent the dangers of reliance on science.
Greatest Appeal - The comedy that unravels as the world's nicest guy with the world's worst reputation overcomes every obstacle given to him while abiding by his oath never to harm a human.
yeah why not
Suitable:
Yu Yu hakusho
touchy point- mostly guys who are occasionly hated or concidered to be in love with each other
best quality- lots of smart a** remarks and action to follow!!!
Suitable:
Hamtaro...
Need I say more? rolleyes
Suitable:
CardCaptor Sakura - Magical Girl
Touchy Subject: Romance?
Greatest Appeal: A very simple story about a Girl who captures Magical Cards.
yeah go neon genesis evangleion
Um...not really...It waz Sailor Moon.... - wen i waz 6 yrzold....my cuz zhowed me the hentai sailor moon zitez..... I WAZ 6!!!!!! dude i remember zaying...." Y iz Ami'z chezt exploding ut of her zhirt like that....WHAT IZ TUXCIDO-MAX DOING TO SAILOR MOON?!?!?!?!?!?!?!" domokun twisted ninja
csdflckwgmvehilejgykvBUMP

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces