Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ever since I began watching anime at fourteen, beginning with Neon Genesis Evangeion, I knew there was something special about this art form. Subtle hints, hidden under the dialogue and pretty pictures, make anime a treat for all ages, ranging from action junkies and young children to the most avid philosophers and otakus. What follows is my personal thoughts behind some of my favorite animes, starting with my favorite: Alice 19th.

Alice 19th: Besides the obvious quality of the art, this anime goes above and beyond in terms of "feel good" status. Instead of action, comedy, or romance based melodrama, Alice 19th combines each in a great package. Alice, a young high schooler, saves a small bunny from being run over in a busy intersection. It turns out that the bunny can talk, and talk she does. It gives Alice the power of Lotus, or rather, the literal power of words. By chanting a word, for example Rangu, the usually timid and depressed Alice becomes courageous and brave. Such is the norm for Alice 19th, using the power of words instead of violence. smile

Trigun: My second anime, I will not go much into the story since it is quite complex. However, Trigun goes to show that even when fighting, it is okay to show mercy to an opponent. The protagonist, Vash the Stampede, has a ridiculous bounty on his head, yet he has never killed anyone. Good times lie ahead. Read on!

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Ouch. This one made my brain hurt at thirteen, and still does at almost twenty. Following the story of one Shinji Ikari and his life with Evangelion, a semi-alive being of massive proportion, aka bio-mech. This anime explores, most off all, what it means to believe in one's self and see others for who and what they really are. Truly a must read/watch.

Escaflowne: By far the prettiest of most animes, this one follows high school track runner Hitomi into Gaia, a land where the earth and moon hang in the sky. There she meets Van, king of Fanelia, and promptly saves his life and watches him kill a ninety foot dragon. Her pendant, a mysterious heirloom, plays an intergal part. This anime tells us that your heart and love will conquer all, regardless of any obstacle. I love it. Watch/read!

Real Bout High School: Not much to say about this one, except that there are countless fights, insane amounts of sex appeal, and one rule: teachers don't stop fights, they grade them! Very nifty read.

Chobits: Ah, the quintessental romance. A down-on-his-luck farmboy, Hideki, goes to college in Tokyo. He envies his peers for possessing persocoms, a computer built into a full-size, interactive android. They're attractive, too. Hideki, by pure chance, finds a persocom wrapped in bandages in the garbage on the way home from work. Calling herself Chi, and everything else in the house Chi as well, this persocom could be a Chobits, a legendary persocom. Will Hideki fall in love with Chi, even though she's a computer? Does it matter? A social commentary about AI and the human heart. Interested yet? Read/watch!

Fruits Basket: In short, the Twelve Chinese Zodiac are embodied in twelve teenagers and adults, including the Cat, the excluded thirteenth Zodiac. A great story about acceptance and romance. The protagonist, Tohru Honda, finds herself living in a tent after her mother passes away. She then meets the Sohru family, who when hugged by Tohru, turn into animals...very strange. Also a great read...read/watch!

Gundam: I haven't watched it all yet (and by goodness, I will one day), but from what I can tell so far, it tells us a simple message. Behind all of the jetwash of missles flying, things blowing up, and badass teenagers with huge robots, Gundam tells us that war is wrong and will never end. The cyclical nature of conflict breeds only more conflict, and war never ends. Intersting stuff...read/watch! Also existing is G Gundam, Gundam SEED, and other variations.

Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo: If you haven't watched Cowboy Bebop, shame on you. It's worth your time. However, Samurai Champloo is quite new, and showing on Adult Swim quite a bit now. I bought the japanese version off of eBay, and let me tell you. What a wonderful story. The required stereotypes are all there: the spunky girl, the proud fighter with a huge ego, and the quiet samurai with great swordsmanship. This anime tells us, as well as Cowboy Bebop, that it is not the end of the journey that matters. It is the journey itself that defines our lives.

Now that I've spoken about each anime, I will announce my intent on starting a Gaea Anime Newsletter. No one seemed to like my idea about reviving the Gaea Newspaper, so I'll do this instead. I could use some help, however...

Ah, I hear the arrows already from your responses...

Dapper Elocutionist

3,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
Please, allow me who is without sin to cast the first stone.

I hate to disappoint you, but on a forum where over two million people see fit to share their personal opinions with the world, the turnover ratio of people who care equals out to about zero percent. Not to say your personal thoughts are wrong. Just don't expect any responses on the scale of Freud, Jung, or Nietzsche, that's all.

Secondly, I doubt you could revive the Gaia Press on your own. That thing's been in a state of stagnancy ever since late 2004. confused

Anyways, I'm sure you don't want to listen to me, so I'm done here.
*waits patiently*

I'm not expecting anything. Also, I'm not reviving the newspaper. This will be a manga/anime newsletter. Nothing more.

Dapper Elocutionist

3,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
Chocobosayskweh
*waits patiently*

I'm not expecting anything. Also, I'm not reviving the newspaper. This will be a manga/anime newsletter. Nothing more.

Oh. In that case, I'd prepare for a flurry of biased opinions as opposed to interesting facts. mrgreen
Actually, I was planning on posting release dates for manga and dvds. What's wrong with that?

Dapper Elocutionist

3,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
Chocobosayskweh
Actually, I was planning on posting release dates for manga and dvds. What's wrong with that?

Well, we've already got an unofficial thread that's well liked by the populace for that exact purpose. Search for Uncle Kenny's Releases Thread and see for yourself.
Well, forgive my ignorance. You could've told me in your first post instead.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff