Welcome to Gaia! ::

Am i right?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on February 28, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 >

Frank_Ferret
i made a couple of 5 min "anime" shows with friends and we live in Australia so i think it doesnt matter where it comes from as long as it follows the general concepts and principals

p.s if anyone has any information about the shinsengumi please pm me the site

my point exactly
Well, there is also a debate on if Teen Titans is a anime or not..I believe Cowboy Bebop is made in America, and It's still considered anime. As for avatar, it looks alot like anime. What I am getting across is if they use the elements of a traditional japanese animation, they should be considered anime. ^.^
SelphieRoth
Well, there is also a debate on if Teen Titans is a anime or not..I believe Cowboy Bebop is made in America, and It's still considered anime. As for avatar, it looks alot like anime. What I am getting across is if they use the elements of a traditional japanese animation, they should be considered anime. ^.^

Cowboy Bebop was sooo made in Japan...Yoko Kano did the music for that one. It wasnt made in America...^^;;
Anime is a style, it matters not where it origonated from.
its sorta easy to see if its anime or not... if its something like tom and jerry, that is definelty not anime. if its something like sailormoon or dbz, then it is anime... the difference is that its basically more graphic or better drawn if its anime. thats how u can tell.
cresecent_tsuki
its sorta easy to see if its anime or not... if its something like tom and jerry, that is definelty not anime. if its something like sailormoon or dbz, then it is anime... the difference is that its basically more graphic or better drawn if its anime. thats how u can tell.
But Avatar is kinda in between and there are others like that. I include Avatar in my definition of Anime but it's really hard to decide on other ones. sweatdrop

3,350 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Although this has probably been said before, I think that anime is the same thing as a cartoon or whatever, except anime generally has a point to it. I don't say that it has anything to do with the way it's drawn, but it definetly shows. (Compare Teen Titans, Code Lyoko, Avatar, etc. to most any anime and there's a difference.)
i think of our avatars as anime...well there more chibi like, but thats anime...cuz it's the style there in...^^;;
cresecent_tsuki

better drawn?? please, that's only a matter of opinion. Try drawing Tom and Jerry, yourself.

Anime isn't defined by a single style. If there was a Japanese cartoon with stick fiigures, that would be anime. The Gregory Horror Show and Super Milk Chan are BOTH anime.
Crystalera
i think of our avatars as anime...well there more chibi like, but thats anime...cuz it's the style there in...^^;;

chibi isn't a anime term.. and if our avatars were anime, they would be animated gifs.

A stick figure cartoon created by a Japanese creator would STILL be anime.
Seraph Aure
Although this has probably been said before, I think that anime is the same thing as a cartoon or whatever, except anime generally has a point to it. I don't say that it has anything to do with the way it's drawn, but it definetly shows. (Compare Teen Titans, Code Lyoko, Avatar, etc. to most any anime and there's a difference.)

Like trying to compare it with Maya the Bee, or Super Milk Chan??

nuGen Staff Snowfriend

800 Points
  • nuGen Staff 25
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • Skilled Snowfriend Architect 100
It depends on who you talk to, and people that yell at other people and tell them they are wrong really annoy me.

Yes, anime, by the French definition and by what people in Japan define it as, is anything that's animated. So, if you talk to somebody from Japan, Looney Tunes is anime.

When Japanese animation hit the States, it carried over the name that the Japanese called it, hence it was known as anime. This is where people that say only Japanese animation is anime come from.

I think it all boils down to where you are from and what era of anime fan you are. I think the older fans (meaning how long they have been watching, not their age... I am one of them having watched anime and followed it for over 14 years now and I'm only 20) say that Japanese animation is the only anime, stating that origianls here in the States can not be considered anime. I think the younger fans (those that have only come to the genre over the past couple of years) and the fans that are acutally younger think anime covers all form of animation if it is down in the original Japanese style. I think this is because shows that mimic anime styles are targetted at them, like the new series from Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon.

Although I think anime only covers animation coming out of Japan that was originally directed at the Japanese Audience (this leaves out shows that were done in Japan but weren't for the Japanese such as Batman Beyond), I can see where others are coming from.

3,350 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
jayp
Seraph Aure

Like trying to compare it with Maya the Bee, or Super Milk Chan??

Well, that's why i said MOST anime, now isn't it?
doesnt matter where it came from....i mean i bought fishes from a store but that doesnt mean it came from the store.
Well, technically, "Anime" means any animated cartoon, in Japan anyway. It depends which meaning of the word you're using.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff