Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm going to make this as simple as I possibly can:

Anime culture, like our own, is a false reality. The world depicted in such depicts an appealing, romantic view of reality that prompts their demographic to pour all their cash into anime dvds and manga comics in order to attempt to live in the spectacle as opposed to living in real life. Anime fans are often socially stunted because they prefer to live in the spectacle rather than the actual world with real people as opposed to nothing but women with breasts of unrealistic proportions. Although the medium of anime often brings this demographic together, they are often hostile to each other due to this isolation created by this medium. Often, westerners who do not know any better will feel this depiction to be accurate to the reality of Japan. However, this is false. This is simply Japan's version of the spectacle and romanticism exists all around the world. Most likely if you are reading this, you are an anime fan. Admit it, the reason you like it so much is because anime is better than real life. In anime, all the girls have big, bouncy breasts, everybody is free to do whatever they damn well please, and every day is an adventure. However, I want you to realize what you are doing when you feed into this reality. The bourgeoise are trying to make you a part of the machine by the commodification of life. They want you to work so you can continue to buy this drivel. Don't you think you could easily dream this s**t up yourself? What if, the things that made anime exciting were what made real life exciting? What if love, freedom, and comradery were real and not just depictions? The Bourgeoise does not want that. They want to keep you a slave. I am by no means suggesting a course of action. I just wanted to feed you with some food for thought.

Original Regular

> 2012
> Still attacking entertainment

I really ******** hate my generation. Now I wish I could apply for a job as a debris collector so I may get away from this stinking planet.
Dangruff Scott
> 2012

I really ******** hate my generation. Now I wish I could apply for a job as a debris collector so I may get away from this stinking planet.

What is the value of entertainment? I find a difference between entertainment and expression. Just think about what entertainment means. Entertainment is a method of occupying boredom. Would entertainment have a purpose in a world free of boredom?

Original Regular

TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott
> 2012

What is the value of entertainment? I find a difference between entertainment and expression. Just think about what entertainment means. Entertainment is a method of occupying boredom. Would entertainment have a purpose in a world free of boredom?

What is a world free of boredom then?
Dangruff Scott
TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott
> 2012

A world of true freedom unlike the choices we have in our society. A world where I am free to run across the ******** world because I am free from school, work, or any of those obligations. A world where all production is voluntary. I could spend my idle time resting from running around the world doing small jobs for farms or fixing broken things for the mere fun of it, not because I'm getting paid to.

Original Regular

TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott
TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott
> 2012

A world of true freedom unlike the choices we have in our society. A world where I am free to run across the ******** world because I am free from school, work, or any of those obligations. A world where all production is voluntary. I could spend my idle time resting from running around the world doing small jobs for farms or fixing broken things for the mere fun of it, not because I'm getting paid to.

In other words. A world that kills itself.
Dangruff Scott
TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott
TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott
> 2012

Elaborate

Original Regular

TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott
TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott
TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott
> 2012

Elaborate

For starters. Humans are smarter than any animal in existance. And that reason, is why our race thrived. Also if we were to live like simpletons, we'd be nothing more but smaller more intelligent dinosaurs. But you know, a world free of boredom wouldn't be so bad. Except not for us humans. Humans will always ******** up on any given scenario given to them. that is why we were never successful at uniting each other.
Dangruff Scott
TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott
TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott

Elaborate

For starters. Humans are smarter than any animal in existance. And that reason, is why our race thrived. Also if we were to live like simpletons, we'd be nothing more but smaller more intelligent dinosaurs. But you know, a world free of boredom wouldn't be so bad. Except not for us humans. Humans will always ******** up on any given scenario given to them. that is why we were never successful at uniting each other.

Perhaps. But as you said, they do ******** up EVERY situation. What other species is so overpopulated and stratified that it cannot sustain itself? I really don't see how my theoretical reality is much worse than what we live in. Would you rather live in a slightly more enjoyable shithole or a shittier shithole? Personally, I'd rather live in the slightly more enjoyable shithole. Unless I was particularly a fan of shitiness. Besides, if you know anything about human history, you'll understand that before the dawn of civilization when we were the simplest, is when we were ******** things up the least. Environmental destruction was not an issue 10,000 years ago.

Original Regular

TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott
TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott
TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott

Elaborate

Perhaps. But as you said, they do ******** up EVERY situation. What other species is so overpopulated and stratified that it cannot sustain itself? I really don't see how my theoretical reality is much worse than what we live in. Would you rather live in a slightly more enjoyable shithole or a shittier shithole? Personally, I'd rather live in the slightly more enjoyable shithole. Unless I was particularly a fan of shitiness. Besides, if you know anything about human history, you'll understand that before the dawn of civilization when we were the simplest, is when we were ******** things up the least. Environmental destruction was not an issue 10,000 years ago.
I'd rather live in a s**t hole where slowly advancing civiliztion as oppsed to a s**t hole where nothing new ever exist.
Dangruff Scott
TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott
TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott

Elaborate

I'd rather live in a s**t hole where slowly advancing civiliztion as oppsed to a s**t hole where nothing new ever exist.

Obviously we had advancements in primitive civilization. We don't have brain implants on how to build a fire or use stone tools. We had to figure that s**t out ourselves. The only problem is that we incorrectly applied these new things created leading to the technocracy we have today. Human history would have been a lot more ******** up if we used stone tools to cook food and fires to build huts. We ******** up history by inventing farming and using it as a means of control.

Well, it's three in the morning and I'm tired as hell. Seeing as how I don't have some debating championship to defend, Imma go ahead and get some sleep. I don't mind you or anyone else saying what you have to say in the meantime, I encourage discussion, however, I won't be there to reply until my period of sleep has passed.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott
TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott
TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott

Elaborate

only if you don't count eliminating or assimilating all other hominan lines we interacted with not ******** things up as badly. up until modern homo sapiens sapiens started taking over there were typically multiple hominan lines alive at the same time, sometimes even managing a level of coexistance since fossil evidence shows an overlap in ranges for some hominans that were contemporary to eachother. now all that's left of the hominan line of the ape family is us, unless stuff like bigfoot, yeti, an almas are relict populations of other hominan lines and homo floresiensis isn't extinct (altho native lore would indicate if they are they survived deliberate attempts to wipe them out).

modern man has a shittastic track record.

Shadowy Girl

11,875 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
Disregard this post...
Or, call me crazy, anime is part of the larger story-telling aspect of human culture?

You seem to have made some huge generalizations about anime that just aren't valid across all animes.

Also how is you argument specific to anime? It sounds like it could apply to just about any entertainment medium like books or hollywood. Becoming interested or even emotionally invested into a story, regardless of the medium, can be an opportunity for escapism. And what's so wrong with that? That's just part of the human condition. It allows us a moment of relief from the emotions we have about our own lives or even more importantly I think allows us to experience the creative imagination of someone else, possibly breeding new creativity within us.

You completely sound like one of those people who have just come back from some sort of lecture about how terrible society is and is misguidedly imposing that onto one aspect of our entertainment culture. Here's the reality champ, most things in our culture is commodified. But that doesn't mean that at an individual at the micro level, can't find something true and meaningful to them in it.

Here's a tip from me to you, stay in school and don't think you explain complicated, multi-level concepts in one paragraph.
TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott
TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott
TheSituationist
Dangruff Scott

Elaborate

Obviously we had advancements in primitive civilization. We don't have brain implants on how to build a fire or use stone tools. We had to figure that s**t out ourselves. The only problem is that we incorrectly applied these new things created leading to the technocracy we have today. Human history would have been a lot more ******** up if we used stone tools to cook food and fires to build huts. We ******** up history by inventing farming and using it as a means of control.

Well, it's three in the morning and I'm tired as hell. Seeing as how I don't have some debating championship to defend, Imma go ahead and get some sleep. I don't mind you or anyone else saying what you have to say in the meantime, I encourage discussion, however, I won't be there to reply until my period of sleep has passed.

For christ sake, I don't think anyone who's been to even a single history class wouldn't know that human history is an imperfect one. I don't see this point in any of this...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff