Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shonen Heros

I agree. I would kill them if they werent invincible 0.35897435897436 35.9% [ 14 ]
I agree a bit.... 0.17948717948718 17.9% [ 7 ]
*shrug* Its whatever 0.25641025641026 25.6% [ 10 ]
What are you talking about, shonen heros have plenty character! 0.20512820512821 20.5% [ 8 ]
Total Votes:[ 39 ]
< 1 2

Clover_IceQueen
foxfaery
apparently went through puberty without discovering the opposite sex}

This part of your post bothers me.
Are you suggesting that boys haven't really gone through puberty until they are sexually active?

Not at all. What I mean is that a part of puberty is beginning to notice and be attracted to the opposite (or the same in some cases) sex. Discovering that boys/girls are not as gross and annoying as you thought they were.

mabu janai's Husbando

Handsome Hero

Marshmlow1
I can agree with you a bit : ) But I wouldn't mind pointing out that the only reason Goku, from Dragon Ball Z ever lived was because they brought him back to life by wishing, and because they got a cure to the poison he got from that android lol (Or was that part of the damned filler?? That Cell saga got a bit confusing for me, because they did a few fillers involving the androids).

I always thought Goku was a good example for the shounen genre/demographic.
That isn't to say all shounen heroes should be written like him, but I always liked Goku ever since I was a kid.
He's just so friendly and kind-hearted, you know? He's a hard worker and cares deeply for the people in his life.
However, he's also naive and a little on the short sighted side, character traits that he carried from his childhood.
These traits also tend to bite him in the a** here and there, which goes to show that he's not exactly a perfect judge of character (ie: Frieza).
I also felt that his tunnel vision was a glaring character flaw as well. Goku's a great dude and loves his family, but has neglected them for training/fighting the next big bad.
Yeah he's mondo powerful, but I always felt like he worked for it. Goku dishes out a lot of hurt but it's not as if he doesn't get some of that himself.

You also bring up the point that Goku has died several times and often gets brought back to life, which is true and says a lot about his character.
He's powerful, extremely powerful even, but he's not immortal. I don't think Goku is perfect, but he gets shunted into that category based on his strength alone.

I've also come to really appreciate Yusuke Urameshi as I rewatch Yu Yu Hakusho.
He's a punk of the highest calibur, a good person at heart but a slacker. He's honestly just a kid and it shows in how he approaches things.
Yusuke's incredibly powerful but there have always been people better than him. Toguro scared the ever living s**t out of him for a while until he finally overcame his walls.
He's always being shown that he needs to strive to improve not just for himself but for the sake of his friends and family.
And as I've seen so far (around 80 eps in right now), he never seems to pull powers out of his a**.
Anything he's done, it has either been taught to him by Genkai through rigorous training (and even then it doesn't always do him good), or
he's just improved on his own powers and strategies through hard work and cunning. Yusuke's boss at reading a situation when given the chance.
You could argue that much of Yusuke's pushes to his strength come from "the power of friendship" since he often gets riled up on account of others, but
I bring up this argument; wouldn't you feel like there's been a fire lit under your a** if someone hurt your friend/girlfriend/whatever?
I'd want to give it my all and whoop that dude's a**, too. It's not like that's a trope that can't be related to.

I could bring up a lot of shounen heroes that stand out but then I'd be writing an essay at that point.

Premium Gaian

char fashionable
Marshmlow1
I can agree with you a bit : ) But I wouldn't mind pointing out that the only reason Goku, from Dragon Ball Z ever lived was because they brought him back to life by wishing, and because they got a cure to the poison he got from that android lol (Or was that part of the damned filler?? That Cell saga got a bit confusing for me, because they did a few fillers involving the androids).

That isn't to say all shounen heroes should be written like him, but I always liked Goku ever since I was a kid.
He's just so friendly and kind-hearted, you know? He's a hard worker and cares deeply for the people in his life.
However, he's also naive and a little on the short sighted side, character traits that he carried from his childhood.
These traits also tend to bite him in the a** here and there, which goes to show that he's not exactly a perfect judge of character (ie: Frieza).
I also felt that his tunnel vision was a glaring character flaw as well. Goku's a great dude and loves his family, but has neglected them for training/fighting the next big bad.
Yeah he's mondo powerful, but I always felt like he worked for it. Goku dishes out a lot of hurt but it's not as if he doesn't get some of that himself.

You also bring up the point that Goku has died several times and often gets brought back to life, which is true and says a lot about his character.
He's powerful, extremely powerful even, but he's not immortal. I don't think Goku is perfect, but he gets shunted into that category based on his strength alone.

Thank you for bringing up what I bolded...That was the one thing that always pissed me off about Goku. He loves his family to death, but he neglects them a whole hell of a lot. Mainly his wife..I'm surprised they ever found time to screw and have another kid after Gohan. Mainly surprised she never dumped his a** emotion_eyebrow

3,500 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
Marshmlow1
char fashionable
Marshmlow1

Thank you for bringing up what I bolded...That was the one thing that always pissed me off about Goku. He loves his family to death, but he neglects them a whole hell of a lot. Mainly his wife..I'm surprised they ever found time to screw and have another kid after Gohan. Mainly surprised she never dumped his a** emotion_eyebrow

i disgree it can be annoying chilling with the family 24/7 so i understand goku at tht point , i just dun like how dumb he is at times but with shonen heros they just need 2 be more realistic tht all most of them are beast but alot are annoying with bootleg powers and idk where this power came form powers

Dangerous Visionary

char fashionable

I've also come to really appreciate Yusuke Urameshi as I rewatch Yu Yu Hakusho.
He's a punk of the highest calibur, a good person at heart but a slacker. He's honestly just a kid and it shows in how he approaches things.
Yusuke's incredibly powerful but there have always been people better than him. Toguro scared the ever living s**t out of him for a while until he finally overcame his walls.
He's always being shown that he needs to strive to improve not just for himself but for the sake of his friends and family.
And as I've seen so far (around 80 eps in right now), he never seems to pull powers out of his a**.
Anything he's done, it has either been taught to him by Genkai through rigorous training (and even then it doesn't always do him good), or
he's just improved on his own powers and strategies through hard work and cunning. Yusuke's boss at reading a situation when given the chance.
You could argue that much of Yusuke's pushes to his strength come from "the power of friendship" since he often gets riled up on account of others, but
I bring up this argument; wouldn't you feel like there's been a fire lit under your a** if someone hurt your friend/girlfriend/whatever?
I'd want to give it my all and whoop that dude's a**, too. It's not like that's a trope that can't be related to.

I could bring up a lot of shounen heroes that stand out but then I'd be writing an essay at that point.

Man wait till you get to chapter black they really ******** that up. (Then again some people liked that twist at the end) I don't know if he's considered Shonen or not but another good example would be kenshin aka . I guess 90's Shonen heroes were a tad more realistic and less trapped in god-mode. (or we are high on Nostalgic sugar today.)

mabu janai's Husbando

Handsome Hero

Miss-dark8607

You know it's funny, even when Yusuke suddenly dished out the demon powers, he defeated Sensui because of Raizen, not really on his own accord.
Once he got to Demon World, he quickly realized just because you have the power, doesn't mean ya' know how to use it.
He got his a** whooped promptly on arrival there, and had to go right back into training again.

It wasn't handled as badly as it could have been. I would have liked it better if he had stayed primarily human and used that spirit energy, but hey, whatcha gonna do.

Dangerous Visionary

char fashionable
Miss-dark8607

You know it's funny, even when Yusuke suddenly dished out the demon powers, he defeated Sensui because of Raizen, not really on his own accord.
Once he got to Demon World, he quickly realized just because you have the power, doesn't mean ya' know how to use it.
He got his a** whooped promptly on arrival there, and had to go right back into training again.

It wasn't handled as badly as it could have been. I would have liked it better if he had stayed primarily human and used that spirit energy, but hey, whatcha gonna do.

LOL! True I just thought it was kind of silly having him be a half-demon and turn it into a "He who fights monsters" trope.
char fashionable
Miss-dark8607

Its still pretty interesting all the same, regardless of the results.

At least I know the world of Madoka Magica is getting love out there, and I believe it was stated on how in danger of being forgotten the dot hack(.hack) universe has become as of late.

Perhaps we need to go have ourselves a look at anyone from Gurren Lagann or Tenchi Muyo worth naming in this thread?

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

10,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
minor renaissance
i can't stand heroes in general. i'd rather have the main character fail in a realistic way than bend all of reality just to win and you're like what the ******** dude no just die
Same. I'm loving the main character in I am a Hero (not a shounen at all, but a good example of good protagonist character development) because he's a complete loser. He reacts like a regular human during all the situations he's been put into.
mulatto butts
minor renaissance
i can't stand heroes in general. i'd rather have the main character fail in a realistic way than bend all of reality just to win and you're like what the ******** dude no just die
Same. I'm loving the main character in I am a Hero (not a shounen at all, but a good example of good protagonist character development) because he's a complete loser. He reacts like a regular human during all the situations he's been put into.

i love that manga and i love him

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

10,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
minor renaissance
i love that manga and i love him
He's such a loser but he's so realistically a loser that it's endearing and kind of inspiring?? It's not like he was like, a NEET. He had a job and a girlfriend and was the most normal member of society you could imagine, and I think that's what makes him work so well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff