Only one was okay. 0.027027027027027 2.7% [ 1 ]
I'm not sure... 0.16216216216216 16.2% [ 6 ]
No. I avoid them. 0.027027027027027 2.7% [ 1 ]
NO! I avoid all vampire anime!!!!! 0.027027027027027 2.7% [ 1 ]
Total Votes:[ 37 ]
< 1 2

GuardianCentauri
Zultim
Oh, and do you remember the part where the women were all cleaning up and took a lunch break with bloody hands?

Yes, that was one of the most disturbing moments in the series for me. People have to break for lunch and engage in some village gossip in the midst of the bloody massacre. If a person's protein level drops too much, it'll affect their ability to slaughter efficiently. @_@

Seriously though, it seemed like another one of those particular moments in the series in which it was demonstrated how, if the conditions are right, people can suppress their consciences and act like everything is normal while they do awful acts.

A comparable level of this for me was in the first of the two side episodes. However, I'm not sure if you've watched those yet, so I won't mention the details of it to avoid spoilers.

You're over analyzing, people are not machines who can only act on one thought or emotion.

Shy Seeker

LegendaryRandomVIllager42
You're over analyzing, people are not machines who can only act on one thought or emotion.

I wasn't implying that people always have only a single thought or emotion or even that they only have one during such situations, especially when both conscious and unconscious portions of the mind are considered. That's why I used the word suppress, as in there are other emotions and thoughts that do indeed otherwise exist that are sometimes pushed down or the individual attempts to avoid them. I'm referring primarily to psychological and sociological research on the effect of groups of people trying to view another group of people as somehow less than human, "the other", so that they can attempt to convince not only others in their social group that certain beliefs or actions are supposedly justified but also to try to convince themselves. This doesn't always work in the long run and can definitely have detrimental effects on the individual going through this. Some forms of PTSD probably stem in part from people engaging in this sort of thing and those other emotions and thoughts buried in their consciences eventually surface.

I'm not sure what the video you posted was supposed to indicate in relation to your comment. If you meant that sometimes people don't react absolutely horribly and are able to respond rationally under adverse conditions, yes that's true. However, that doesn't rule out that the opposite can sometimes occur as well. I think there's been more than enough occasions in history which show that.

Hardcore Lunatic

5,700 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
I've seen Shiki before, I thought it was OK till I got to around episode 20... that's is when I started disliking it, & at 22 I started hating it. That's one anime I'll never watch again.

As for other Vampire based anime: yeah, I've seen a few I liked. "Rosario + Vampire" & "Princess Resurrection" (if that counts) are two of my favorites.

Invisible Senshi

The Fullmetal Narcissist
Zultim
The Fullmetal Narcissist
I love how complex the ending was... It turned the entire horror genre upside down in a way I don't think I've ever seen before, with the hunters becoming the hunted and the humans becoming far more terrifying than the zompires.

Too bad the art design wasn't taken as seriously as the story was. Looking at the characters and their hairstyles, it was like watching someone from CLAMP try to make their own Yugioh spin-off.

Whoa. That was a shocking way to describe the hairstyles lol You painted a vivid image!
Yeah, the humans were a bit...violent. They knew that the vampires could be killed by cutting the head off or by hammering a stake to their heart. But then they somehow ran out there, with shovels and attempted to beat the vampires to death. I think some of them enjoyed the act of killing! (If I remember correctly, only one vampire was mentioned to like killing, too. Atsushi?) Oh, and do you remember the part where the women were all cleaning up and took a lunch break with bloody hands? I thought vampire blood would have killed them. Guess not. D:
I thought both sides were terrifying. The vampires were really thirsty and killed their victims (usually) after biting them 3 times.
The humans were a bunch of psychos who were really bad at following directions lol (Shovels.)

So did you understand the ending? It was a bit confusing to me. I got stuck on trying to understand the monk's story...

Do you remember the spider/butterfly scene from Trigun? It's pretty much the same message here. In this world, there are predators and prey, and and only one of them can win out in the end. Either the predator wins and his prey is devoured, or the prey wins and the predator starves. In cases where the two can't possibly coexist... Much like Kane and Abel... To try and protect both sides will only bring about mutual destruction for the two of them.
In Shiki, the prey fought back, but the predators didn't have any other options for sustenance... And thus their ecosystem was destroyed.

It's a sort of ending that raises questions within the viewer without offering any easy answers. I love that kind of ending.

I have not watched Trigun, so I have no idea what you are talking about sweatdrop
Your explanation of Kane and Abel made sense; it matches the story's theme of survival. (I was almost sure it was about Seishin believing he had two personalities living within him and he tried to kill one but ended up hurting himself which kind of killed one side of him...It makes no sense to me, either lol)
I will have to think about this and hopefully I will get it! xD

And are those endings rare in anime? (At least, the ones you have watched)

Invisible Senshi

GuardianCentauri
Zultim
Oh, and do you remember the part where the women were all cleaning up and took a lunch break with bloody hands?

Yes, that was one of the most disturbing moments in the series for me. People have to break for lunch and engage in some village gossip in the midst of the bloody massacre. If a person's protein level drops too much, it'll affect their ability to slaughter efficiently. @_@

Seriously though, it seemed like another one of those particular moments in the series in which it was demonstrated how, if the conditions are right, people can suppress their consciences and act like everything is normal while they do awful acts.

A comparable level of this for me was in the first of the two side episodes. However, I'm not sure if you've watched those yet, so I won't mention the details of it to avoid spoilers.

I never thought of it that way! Hahaha! xD
Now it makes sense! I don't know what type of explanation I would have had after watching that; I think I was only thinking, "Wash your han----UH-Oh. You're poisoned!!!"

I'm gonna leave a few screenshots to let everyone know what's being discussed!
User Image
1. Notice the bloody body bags.
2. She noticed her hand was a bit bloody.
3. She wipes her hand.
4. She takes a bite.
5. Yum.

I forgot that consciences can be suppressed after seeing so many terrible things...I have read about it; I can't believe I could forget something like that...
Oh, and the side episodes...I couldn't find them on Hulu.com. (There's 22/24 episodes) so I will watch them in a minute. (I thought I was done!) I KNEW it looked like a few episodes were missing! >=O

Invisible Senshi

Masamune_316
I've seen Shiki before, I thought it was OK till I got to around episode 20... that's is when I started disliking it, & at 22 I started hating it. That's one anime I'll never watch again.

As for other Vampire based anime: yeah, I've seen a few I liked. "Rosario + Vampire" & "Princess Resurrection" (if that counts) are two of my favorites.

I've been hearing quite a bit about the Rosario Vampire anime! Is it good?
What made you dislike it by episode 20?

Hardcore Lunatic

5,700 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
Zultim

I'd definitely recommend seeing Rosario + Vampire if you haven't yet, it's actually on my top 10 list. It's one of those comedy/ecchi type anime, so pretty much the opposite of Shiki. As for why I disliked Shiki, all the "innocent" vampires start getting slaughtered by the crazy villagers around episode 20, then on 22... *sniff sniff* poor Megumi, that was just overkill. crying I suppose I just prefer more "comedy" based anime, which you wouldn't expect from my avatar here. xp

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Zultim
The Fullmetal Narcissist
Zultim
The Fullmetal Narcissist
I love how complex the ending was... It turned the entire horror genre upside down in a way I don't think I've ever seen before, with the hunters becoming the hunted and the humans becoming far more terrifying than the zompires.

Too bad the art design wasn't taken as seriously as the story was. Looking at the characters and their hairstyles, it was like watching someone from CLAMP try to make their own Yugioh spin-off.

Whoa. That was a shocking way to describe the hairstyles lol You painted a vivid image!
Yeah, the humans were a bit...violent. They knew that the vampires could be killed by cutting the head off or by hammering a stake to their heart. But then they somehow ran out there, with shovels and attempted to beat the vampires to death. I think some of them enjoyed the act of killing! (If I remember correctly, only one vampire was mentioned to like killing, too. Atsushi?) Oh, and do you remember the part where the women were all cleaning up and took a lunch break with bloody hands? I thought vampire blood would have killed them. Guess not. D:
I thought both sides were terrifying. The vampires were really thirsty and killed their victims (usually) after biting them 3 times.
The humans were a bunch of psychos who were really bad at following directions lol (Shovels.)

So did you understand the ending? It was a bit confusing to me. I got stuck on trying to understand the monk's story...

Do you remember the spider/butterfly scene from Trigun? It's pretty much the same message here. In this world, there are predators and prey, and and only one of them can win out in the end. Either the predator wins and his prey is devoured, or the prey wins and the predator starves. In cases where the two can't possibly coexist... Much like Kane and Abel... To try and protect both sides will only bring about mutual destruction for the two of them.
In Shiki, the prey fought back, but the predators didn't have any other options for sustenance... And thus their ecosystem was destroyed.

It's a sort of ending that raises questions within the viewer without offering any easy answers. I love that kind of ending.

I have not watched Trigun, so I have no idea what you are talking about sweatdrop
Your explanation of Kane and Abel made sense; it matches the story's theme of survival. (I was almost sure it was about Seishin believing he had two personalities living within him and he tried to kill one but ended up hurting himself which kind of killed one side of him...It makes no sense to me, either lol)
I will have to think about this and hopefully I will get it! xD

And are those endings rare in anime? (At least, the ones you have watched)

There's a scene in Trigun where a child saves a butterfly from a spider's web, and then his brother kills the spider. The first boy is horrified, but the brother rationalizes it by claiming that if they're siding with the butterfly, then they might as well kill the spider so it won't need to kill other bugs to survive. It's a pretty important scene to look back on, compared to when the two are adults.

I wouldn't say rare, but uncommon.

Invisible Senshi

Masamune_316
Zultim

I'd definitely recommend seeing Rosario + Vampire if you haven't yet, it's actually on my top 10 list. It's one of those comedy/ecchi type anime, so pretty much the opposite of Shiki. As for why I disliked Shiki, all the "innocent" vampires start getting slaughtered by the crazy villagers around episode 20, then on 22... *sniff sniff* poor Megumi, that was just overkill. crying I suppose I just prefer more "comedy" based anime, which you wouldn't expect from my avatar here. xp

I wanted to watch Rosario + Vampire in highschool, but when I mentioned it to one of my friends, she kept telling me not to. It's HER world...HER anime. HER manga. She didn't want to share it and it kind of creeped me out lol

I will be sure to watch an episode soon, though. xD
The creepiness should have worn off by now!

AND YES. Megumi died in such a terrible way! They didn't have to keep hitting her with those trucks! After they hit her like...4 times, ran her arm over, THEN ran over her head, they FINALLY took a stake out. I was like, "Those villagers are really enjoying themselves!" stressed
I only found out about Shiki because I was on the bad side of Youtube one day....My reaction to her death was the same after I saw it the second time (after watching the anime.) WHY!?!?!?!?!?

And no one should really be predicting genres from other people's avatars! xD

Invisible Senshi

Apple Anna
xd

I know! xd
Zultim
Apple Anna
xd

I know! xd
4laugh

Mega Snowflake

8,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Gonna look for this...

Benevolent Lunatic

What did you think of the anime: Shiki?

I liked it, I was in my vampire phase at the time,

Did the ending annoy you?

A little,

How did you feel about the characters? Favorite? Least favorite?
I like Megumi outfit but she was also bothersome, its been a while since i watched it, but I like the main charecter will the blue hair

Do their hairstyles irritate you?

no

Did you read any comments on the episodes as you watched it?

No

Comments? Questions?

No

Divine Demigod

Shiki was great.
I liked how it made you wonder which group was evil; the humans or the vampires as you feel sympathy for both. I also liked based doctor. Based doctor is based.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff