Welcome to Gaia! ::

Internation Anime Distribution (IAD) came up with this press release and it sounded VERY interesting:

Official IAD Article/Press release

ANN discussion article with Company Rep

What do you think?
TheFrankman
Internation Anime Distribution (IAD) came up with this press release and it sounded VERY interesting:

Official IAD Article/Press release

ANN discussion article with Company Rep

What do you think?
That caught my attention when I read it off of animenewsnetwork.com but I dont know what to think.
hmm... very interesting
is it good?
I would think it's a great idea IF it can be done. I'm trying to talk to the guy.
Something doesn't add up. This vaguely smells of a scam. Particularly: Animation producers have long had an inherent dislike of fansubbing as it represents a revenue stream that is lost to online piracy. No, not so much. Most Japanese anime companies don't talk about fansubs at all, but a few have said off the record that they don't care too much or like it. Seriously, fansubs are an almost total win-win for these companies. People distribute and translate it for free to an audience they may never have the power to reach, thus allowing them to:
1) Gauge interest that that market might have for their anime
2) Sell merchandise to that market without having to bear the cost of translating, licencing, distributing, marketing, etc the anime
3) Have more pull in licencing discussions with American companies (I'd bet almost anything that not only did the Naruto people get one hell of a deal, but that the also used the built in fanbase of it as a selling point to US companies (or US companies sought them out after hearing of the fanbase)).
Even though i know fansubbing and posting it on the internet is illegal....i think legalizing it is kinda stupid becuz you have to pay. I know my opinion alone is stupid because downloading stuff for free is stealing....and you SHOULD pay for it...but i mean.....yea....it's really hard to explain.
I find this to be scam. If they did this, companies would lose lots of money because of people downloading fansubs. If they did legalize it, they should make it around 100$ and up a month since people always download crap like this.
Ichi_Onu
I find this to be scam. If they did this, companies would lose lots of money because of people downloading fansubs. If they did legalize it, they should make it around 100$ and up a month since people always download crap like this.

There ya go!!! That's what i meant!!! lol. sweatdrop

Anyways...if the companies get money off of ppl downloadin the fansubs, then how bout the ppl who subbed the anime for downloading?? Would they get paid or are the companies just gonna ignore the subbers and direct all the money to themselves???
kikyo98
Ichi_Onu

There ya go!!! That's what i meant!!! lol. sweatdrop

Anyways...if the companies get money off of ppl downloadin the fansubs, then how bout the ppl who subbed the anime for downloading?? Would they get paid or are the companies just gonna ignore the subbers and direct all the money to themselves???

I think that they should get paid for it. The price for downloading fansubs legaly should be around that much or higher since companies lose money from people doing illegal downloads and stuff. That might also stop people from buying bootlegs if these legalized company subbers made dvds of the stuff, cotaining about much as a normal dvd would have. Unlike the bootlegs, these would make a lot more money since these might be in stores and people will buy them unlike those bootlegs.
1 minor point, fansubs are free....
Then we would just have to pay for them, lisenced or not. o.o; I think what they mean is that they're going to sell them online, perhaps at a cheaper price, or maybe for those who don't have DVD players.

^^; It sounds like a bad idea to me, anyways, regardless.
Fansubs suck. That's why anime has been getting more expensive in the stores, because so many people download and never buy anything domestic; it hurts the industry thus upping costs.

Sounds scammy to me confused
Ichi_Onu

Thank you my thoughts exactly whoever came up with the whole "Legalization" of fansubs drama should be shot >< I mean seriously most fansubs suck anyway

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff