Welcome to Gaia! ::

I think this type of bullying is everywhere- there's always that person that, most of the time, has low self-esteem and feel the need to put others down to build themselves up. I mean, I get frustrated with the idiots who think money and high-leveled junk is all about Gaia.

Aged Gaian

8,125 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
I know a lot of people who refuse to watch the dub and look down on others who don't do the same, and I know other who won't ever watch the original because they do not want to read while they are watching TV.
I think this will always be how a lot of people think, I don't it makes anyone any less of an anime fan if they do not want to watch the original. It also doesn't make any one a better anime fan to only like the originals.
Some anime I will
watch in english, more of my old
school ones in truth. More now a days, I watch
in the subbing but anime is anime, english or subbed!
ChiffaniChan
I know a lot of people who refuse to watch the dub and look down on others who don't do the same, and I know other who won't ever watch the original because they do not want to read while they are watching TV.
I think this will always be how a lot of people think, I don't it makes anyone any less of an anime fan if they do not want to watch the original. It also doesn't make any one a better anime fan to only like the originals.

This.

It doesn't matter which version one likes better. Everybody wins, regardless of their preference.

I don't necessarily have a problem with people who prefer the Japanese dub. It's fine if they do, but does that give them the right to tell others that dubs they like they should hate and tell them that a performance they like is terrible? Absolutely not; that's just crossing the line IMO.

Partying Reveler

Skurlette
I don't have any asian blood in me, and I don't know the language. But God knows there are few things that make me more livid than the "SUBS ARE SUPERIOR TO DUBS" attitude.

I shouldn't let it bother me as much as I do, they're just cartoons and all. But it does. It really, really does bug me.

You know what i tell people who tell me that s**t. I say " okay if you love the ******** subs so much why don't you read manga in Japanese i mean since the Japanese languages is so much more superior to English. " I said that to this one weeaboo and he couldn't even give me a proper come back. To anyone who's a Sub freak i say if love them so god damn much why not learn japanese so that disgusting english doesn't get in the way of your viewing.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
They're ******** Hipster, when you think about it.

Dangerous Phantom

5,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Person of Interest 200
I'm not Japanese at all nor do I have any Asian heritage in my blood. I'm actually just African-American, but honestly, you can't really do anything about those type of people. You can just ignore them and walk away shaking your head because those types are just pathetic creatures who have nothing to live by than just that. They have no friends or a social life nor will they get one because normal people find that obsessiveness creepy and annoying. I love watching both. If I find an anime series I like and it has a English dub to it then I prefer to watch that, since it's in a language I can understand fluently and I just don't like reading subtitles often, but if it's only in the original dub then of course I will watch it, but I don't think one is better than the other. If I can understand what's going on then I'll enjoy it. It's the same with Korean Animation. I have only read manhwa, if I even spelled that correctly and think Korean art is amazing. I love both Korean and Japanese art. I have yet to try Chinese manua or however you spell it and animation, but if anyone who has any suggestions for a person who does not know the language then please talk to me about it. I would love to try it out. biggrin Honestly, Korean and Japanese animation are better than most American ones, like Family Guy and the Simpsons because they are more detailed with character's structure and their personalities. Now, don't get me wrong, I love watching them, but Asian animation is better than others, not all, but some. Just ignore those types of people. You like what you like and have different opinions. You shouldn't get offended by what immature people say to you. They will soon realize they are destined for failure and loneliness because of their "otakuness". You know more than they do because you know both languages, so you have that over than them. Don't get pissed off by pathetic and immature people. Those types aren't worth any emotion.
I haven't met those type of people, since I keep my anime life to a down low because I don't want anyone to think that's all I like, but I have seen this "Sub vs. Dub" debate all over the internet and honestly I think it's tiring and annoying. It's nothing to debate about and definitely nothing to get upset or obsess over. Everyone has different opinions, people just need to learn how to accept them like I do. stare Anyone comes up to me like that, they will just get punched in the face and then I will walk away saying nothing.
And if they think you're (anyone Asian) "Japanese" just because you watch anime and they can't tell the difference between that and Korean, Chinese and Vietnamese then they obviously need to get out more and be more culturally advanced because not Asians look alike and that's exactly what they're saying and they find that offensive and I find that rude.

Lupine Cub

15,100 Points
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
In the anime/manga club I was in during my middle school years there was a lot of people in the club that would mock others for wanting to watch it dubbed rather then subbed.
And then go on about how japan is amazing and all this dumb s**t.

Thank god I left.

Sparkly Prophet

I hate the fact I've never been to a convention. Never cosplayed. The fact that I prefer American/Or other country bands that have nothing to do with oriental pop/rock. The fact that I hardly even talking about anime/manga outside of life. The fact that my mind is usually on other things but I still like it.

I feel like such a retard.
I've had more snobs in the gunpla community than in the anime community.

Like for example, there is several people that think if you use anything else than official Bandai products, such as modeling knifes, clippers, and even markers, that you are not a true fan. They cringe if you modify your models so that it can have LEDs, or just generally try to make it look more epic. Ironic enough, they have never entered a modeling competition. If those guys saw what I saw, they would be dropping bricks.

Gawker

Bloody Jesus
I hate the fact I've never been to a convention. Never cosplayed. The fact that I prefer American/Or other country bands that have nothing to do with oriental pop/rock. The fact that I hardly even talking about anime/manga outside of life. The fact that my mind is usually on other things but I still like it.

I think the main problem that when people think of anime 'fans' they think of people who that is literally their way of life and identity- it's all consuming

I understand wanting to go to convention, but the fact that you have other interests is a good thing! It doesn't make you less of a fan; it means you're well rounded, and don't need to be obsessed to enjoy something

As for snobbery; those people should get over themselves. I understand having a preference and strong opinions, but unless you're willing to listen and have an actual conversation about said "Controversy," keep your mouth shut and let other people enjoy their tastes as they see fit. Use common sense, but for the most part, 'live and let live'

Munchie-san's Waifu

Fishy Sex Symbol

I don't see how it makes you more of an anime fan if you watch subs.
I try and watch a dub whenever possible to be honest, I mean I like subs but I would prefer to watch it in my own language.

Gracious Tycoon

JustGotRob-ed
I think this type of bullying is everywhere- there's always that person that, most of the time, has low self-esteem and feel the need to put others down to build themselves up. I mean, I get frustrated with the idiots who think money and high-leveled junk is all about Gaia.
Hoc cor mei metum atrum lacrimat...

No need to worry, for I am graciously tolerant of those plebeians less fortunate than me.

I, however, am not tolerant of those who will not accept than anime is inferior to all other related mediums, such as manga, light novels, and visual novels. The sheer amount of praise given to illiteracy in forums such as Gaia and 4chan perturbs me greatly. Like the modern day hipster movement, these arrogant seasonal anime watchers take pride in claiming that adaptions of the old are new and obscure, and that any topic not discussing these horrendous adaptions is the equivalent of mainstream trash.

Every so often, we get one of these 4chan kids here in Gaia. It is better to be ignorant because of inexperience, as many of the users here in Gaia are, than to be ignorant due to pride.

...atqui animus meus insaniam sanguinat albam.
Anime sobs are so terrible :c they mistreat people because they think knowing about foreign cartoons makes them special. They worship their glorious Nippon and trash those who prefer anything else. At least in my experience.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff