10,000 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
Wyrn
Jackie-senpai
Wyrn
Ashley Vermillion
Any other Japanese-Americans who have to put up with this?

I'm Korean American. I get the damn Starcraft idiocy.

Yes, I am a gamer... a tabletop gamer. ******** off, Koreans are good for more then ******** Starcraft.

Oh yeah, and the idiots that hate Korean animation because it is not Japanese. I just ask their opinion of The Simpsons.

Seriously, idiots are everywhere.

Also Igloo does not have dubs as far as I can tell. The only thing I can find that does have English dubs are all bootlegs.

I love Korean animation. Especially commissioned stuff that has a higher budget like TMNT 2k3 or A:TLA. The action scenes are always ******** amazing.

Even their original animation is amazing. People think that just because it comes from Korea it can not compare to Japanese animation.

Actually, from what I've seen it has a tendency to be better, anime cuts too many corners for my tastes sometimes. Obviously I still like anime, since I've certainly got enough of it on DVD but it certainly isn't the best animation out there...not by a long shot.

Shameless Stalker

Jackie-senpai
Wyrn

Even their original animation is amazing. People think that just because it comes from Korea it can not compare to Japanese animation.

Actually, from what I've seen it has a tendency to be better, anime cuts too many corners for my tastes sometimes.

Very true. Unless your talking about a powerhouse like Ghibli that can throw money at a project. I'll admit there is crap animation out of Korea but a good bit is on par if not better then Japanese animation.

Questionable Member

12,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Perfect Attendance 400
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Eww, sub elitists. emotion_donotwant

Mage

I think this is a bit off topic; but when people refer to themselves as otaku's, I get really confused.
As in, in Japanese, doesn't it mean 'my house'? D:
Back on topic, I have run into similar people like that before.
There was this particularly rude person who commented
"You're Asian, why don't you watch it in Japanese?"
and then proceeded to talk about how they watch all their anime in Japanese and how much better an anime fan they were.
smh.

Questionable Senshi

10,000 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
Wyrn
Jackie-senpai
Wyrn

Actually, from what I've seen it has a tendency to be better, anime cuts too many corners for my tastes sometimes.

Very true. Unless your talking about a powerhouse like Ghibli that can throw money at a project. I'll admit there is crap animation out of Korea but a good bit is on par if not better then Japanese animation.

I'm actually watching some Korean animation right now.

Dangerous Bloodsucker

3,600 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Profitable 100
I hate people like that. emotion_eyebrow
I'm one of the few Mew Mew fans that actually
like both the dubbed and subbed versions.
I hate people giving me the 'omg da dub suks, engalish
suks, onaly da subs r guud hurr durr derp' bullshit.
It makes me want to drop kick the ******** out of them. cat_stressed

Benevolent Phantom

viiniry

I think this is a bit off topic; but when people refer to themselves as otaku's, I get really confused.
and then proceeded to talk about how they watch all their anime in Japanese and how much better an anime fan they were.
smh.

Yeah, that guy is the epitome of what I'm talking about. An a*****e.
Also, he kind of just assumes that the acting is better in the subs. Once again, without knowing the language. Once again, there are many dubs that do a better job than the original Japanese could ever hope to. Hellsing Ultimate, anyone?

If I know both languages, I think I'm allowed to have my pick. And no, one is not by default inferior to the other, except in really outdated cases.

Mage

Ashley Vermillion
viiniry

smh.

Yeah, that guy is the epitome of what I'm talking about. An a*****e.
Also, he kind of just assumes that the acting is better in the subs. Once again, without knowing the language. Once again, there are many dubs that do a better job than the original Japanese could ever hope to. Hellsing Ultimate, anyone?

If I know both languages, I think I'm allowed to have my pick. And no, one is not by default inferior to the other, except in really outdated cases.

These people ;D;
And they say 'The subs are more accurate to what they are saying'
No. No. They are more accurate in they literally translated.
But with dubs you can hear the differences in tone and emotions.
I cannot see why people do not get this. You cannot replace speech with text.

And then there are those people who automatically assume every Asian they see is Japanese, and would know of every anime that ever existed.
I'm Chinese and I don't think some people realise how offensive it is to call a Chinese person Japanese.

Also I would like to add that Chinese subs are amazing,
for people who can understand Chinese I would definitely recommend people watch it c:

Dangerous Sex Symbol

User ImageooUser ImageooUser Image
✗✗✗✗

They just think they're special because they're watching something foreign and not "mainstream."

Lupine Bibliophile

12,200 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
I'm not a Japanese-American, I'm just a basic American Euromutt with a hint of Native American mixed in as well, but I've been an anime fan long enough the first anime I watched that I knew was Japanese was back in 1984. I find it kind of amusing and occasionally frustrating that I'll have fankiddies insinuating or outright saying I'm not a "real fan" because I defend dubs and actually point out they're nowhere near as bad as they use to be and that even back when dubs were worse there were still some good dubs coming out.

I've also gotten flamed for being an elitist when I share the information I've gained over my over 25 years as an anime fan (with the good luck of getting into it because of my older brother, who is 11 years older than me and was my first source of anime information, one of his best friends actually did VHS trades back before the VHS fansub days, when they traded the raw tapes and included a printed out script with the translation on it). alternately I get newbs who are younger that one or more of my nieces trying to tell me I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about because a "real fan" would know better.

meh, fandom whippersnappers these days... they don't know how to treat the fandom geezers their elders... xp

9,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
viiniry

These people ;D;
And they say 'The subs are more accurate to what they are saying'
No. No. They are more accurate in they literally translated.
But with dubs you can hear the differences in tone and emotions.
I cannot see why people do not get this. You cannot replace speech with text.

And then there are those people who automatically assume every Asian they see is Japanese, and would know of every anime that ever existed.
I'm Chinese and I don't think some people realise how offensive it is to call a Chinese person Japanese.

Also I would like to add that Chinese subs are amazing,
for people who can understand Chinese I would definitely recommend people watch it c:

I'm not Asian, but I'm really interested in the languages.
I still prefer dub over sub. Because I prefer watching and listening to my anime over reading it.
When I want to read, I'll go grab the manga. That's why there's both anime and manga.

I find this kind of funny. From my experience, most people generally assume either Chinese or Japanese, but tend to guess Chinese first. Unless the topic at hand is something like anime.
Except at my high school. We got transfer students from Korea and China, so people always guessed Korean before Chinese. And then we got one girl from Thailand, and hardly anybody realized she wasn't Chinese.
Goof ups like that kind of make me feel bad. I'm American, so I wouldn't want people constantly assuming that I'm British or Canadian. Especially based off of hobbies. The whole thing is just silly.

Magical Girl

19,500 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
First, I'd think it was because he needed to feel superior. Some people need that. The other reason, I would guess, is because of having a negative opinion on dubs, based on how horrible they used to be. Nowadays, they are fairly decent, but in the past, they were known to be an inferior way of watching an anime series because of heavy editing.

Sparkly Hunter

Actually, watching dubbed anime and subbed anime is no different.....my friends and i watch both and we are fine with it. Those who call them selves otakus are just people who think they are all that. And by the way, i am from New Jersey crying this kinda hurts and disappoints me that people are saying this about anime and whether or not to be a "true" otaku fan

Mage

Hiana Nishaki

I'm not Asian, but I'm really interested in the languages.
I still prefer dub over sub. Because I prefer watching and listening to my anime over reading it.
When I want to read, I'll go grab the manga. That's why there's both anime and manga.

I find this kind of funny. From my experience, most people generally assume either Chinese or Japanese, but tend to guess Chinese first. Unless the topic at hand is something like anime.
Except at my high school. We got transfer students from Korea and China, so people always guessed Korean before Chinese. And then we got one girl from Thailand, and hardly anybody realized she wasn't Chinese.
Goof ups like that kind of make me feel bad. I'm American, so I wouldn't want people constantly assuming that I'm British or Canadian. Especially based off of hobbies. The whole thing is just silly.

I'm really interested in languages too c: I can't really say whether I prefer dub over sub or not. I'm not really into anime too much these days, so when I find something worth watching I tend to watch it with dubs. Afterwards, I most likely will watch it again with subs so I can listen to them speak Japanese and hopefully pick some things up.

To be honest, I'm actually not too bothered being mistaken for being Japanese or Korean once in awhile. But its rude when people just make assumptions without asking. Or when they find out I'm Chinese and stop talking to me because according to them "Japanese and Koreans are so much cooler."
Sorry, no.

Super Noob

Okay. Um. Japanese Americans get the "English Dub" crap, Korean Americans get the "Starcraft Gamer" crap, and Chinese Americans get the "Eating Babies" crap.

... crying

But back on topic; I dislike English dub because I don't find the same feelings portrayed. I mean, I recall strictly watching English dubs, but after getting criticized for it by someone from the school anime club that told me to try watching Japanese dub, I loved it.

It all depends on preference, honestly. We shouldn't be forcing each other to watch Japanese dub "because it's genuine or something". Otakus should seriously calm down when it comes to that. How about I make fun of you for watching anime? Huuuh?

Anime is anime. English dub and Japanese dub is just the same damn thing, just without the subtitles. I don't know why they give such a sh*t sometimes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff