Welcome to Gaia! ::

Benevolent Phantom

Just had some lard a** from New Jersey mock me on Gundam's Facebook because I wanted to know if MS IGLOO had English dubs.

"OMG, you want to watch an English dub? What the hell is wrong with you? I am disappoint. You're not a real Gundam fan."

Well, just for your information, Mr. Jersey, I'm a Japanese-American who speaks pretty decent Japanese and can listen to it rather fluidly. And I checked your profile. YOU, are not.

So where the hell do you get off telling me I am inferior for wanting to watch a show in my first language, instead of being an American douchebag who pretends he's hardcore by watching a show in a language he doesn't even ******** understand?

Where the hell did this kind of Otaku snobbery come from, anyway?

Benevolent Phantom

Any other Japanese-Americans who have to put up with this?

Kawaii Shounen

lol, nabs

I have a friend that she thinks otaku is someone who just because
reads and watch rosario vampire and fruits basket your actually a otaku.

I don't even care anymore, at first it bothered me
but several years has passed and I only laugh at their faces.

Benevolent Phantom

And did it ever occur to these people that often times the dub is good enough to outshine the Japanese version (when English is your first language and you are, after all, an American)?

Enduring Zealot

5,025 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I have absolutely no clue. It's been around for years, though. I've seen the arguments "the acting is better" and "subs are more accurate" thrown around, but that varies greatly from media to media...and how can you tell if the acting is superior if you can't even understand the language to begin with? It boggles me. It's fine to prefer subs, but the bizarre hipsterism behind rabid sub-humping is kind of weird. Maybe it makes people feel like they're cultured somehow? No idea.

Clean Genius

If you understand japanese that well then why would you bother watching an english dub? Most of the time they're worse, like any dub is.

And seriously, you get offended when someone says you're not an actual fan and then start mocking them to make yourself seem somehow ~ *better*~ and more ~*deserving*~ of anime?
It's cartoons for gods sake. Stop crying.

Shameless Stalker

Ashley Vermillion

I'm Korean American. I get the damn Starcraft idiocy.

Yes, I am a gamer... a tabletop gamer. ******** off, Koreans are good for more then ******** Starcraft.

Oh yeah, and the idiots that hate Korean animation because it is not Japanese. I just ask their opinion of The Simpsons.

Seriously, idiots are everywhere.

Also Igloo does not have dubs as far as I can tell. The only thing I can find that does have English dubs are all bootlegs.

Greedy Raider

How are you supposed to not laugh at people when they carry on like this? It'd be all I could muster not to laugh in their face.

Questionable Browser

I find that the "I'm a REAL fan because [insert bullshit reason here]" attitude is only vaguely tolerable when it's coming from someone who's still going through the stupid years of early teenhood. After that... yikes.

Gracious Tycoon

Hoc cor mei metum atrum lacrimat...

Don't be too hard on them. These poor otaku have nothing else to take pride in.

...atqui animus meus insaniam sanguinat albam.

Cutie-Pie

I'm not Japanese by far, but I know Japanese and can speak it. In fact, I'm studying Japanese to be a doctor in Japan. That's beside the point.

I hate Otaku snobs that think they are better than you for watching the shows with subs. If anything I'd rather watch raws in order to practice my Japanese. I had someone get on my case about not watching Gundam with subs because the voice acting, apparently, was the best quality around and the dub was terrible. (IMO, that isn't true at all. I like watching Gundam dubbed and still do it.) It's honestly quite amusing people still have that mindset.

Tipsy Senshi

18,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Stellar Lieutenant 200
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
Wyrn
Ashley Vermillion

Yes, I am a gamer... a tabletop gamer. ******** off, Koreans are good for more then ******** Starcraft.

Oh yeah, and the idiots that hate Korean animation because it is not Japanese. I just ask their opinion of The Simpsons.

Also Igloo does not have dubs as far as I can tell. The only thing I can find that does have English dubs are all bootlegs.

I love Korean animation. Especially commissioned stuff that has a higher budget like TMNT 2k3 or A:TLA. The action scenes are always ******** amazing.
I don't have any asian blood in me, and I don't know the language. But God knows there are few things that make me more livid than the "SUBS ARE SUPERIOR TO DUBS" attitude.

I shouldn't let it bother me as much as I do, they're just cartoons and all. But it does. It really, really does bug me.

Shameless Stalker

Jackie-senpai
Wyrn
Ashley Vermillion

I love Korean animation. Especially commissioned stuff that has a higher budget like TMNT 2k3 or A:TLA. The action scenes are always ******** amazing.

Even their original animation is amazing. People think that just because it comes from Korea it can not compare to Japanese animation.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff