Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've never seen Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Should I watch the movie? 1.11 You are Not Alone? Then wait for the rest of the movies to come out and watch those?

Or should I watch the series, then watch the movies afterward?

I mean, because the show is the original one. The movie has stuff cut out to make it faster paced to where it's just action and storyline. Except, apparently the final movie will end differently.

Anyway, what should I do?
I'd recommend watching the show first. Sure it's not as pretty or anything, but I think it has it's appeal.

After that, you should watch End of Evangelion and then the movies if you want to.

Original Regular

Just watch the movies, same content, except one of the films show the protagonist growing some balls
I'd say watch the show first too. I like both the movies and the series, but I think you'd get more out of the movies if you could see where they diverge and what they allude to sometimes from the original.
I'd definitely say watch the show first. The movie just doesn't have as strong of an effect as the show.
It's almost comparable to asking if you should read the Harry Potter book, or just watch the movie.
I watched all of it. Definitely worth the time. C:

Naughty Enabler

14,275 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Champion 300
  • Medalist 100
coolz111
I've never seen Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Should I watch the movie? 1.11 You are Not Alone? Then wait for the rest of the movies to come out and watch those?

Or should I watch the series, then watch the movies afterward?

I mean, because the show is the original one. The movie has stuff cut out to make it faster paced to where it's just action and storyline. Except, apparently the final movie will end differently.

Anyway, what should I do?

Watch the show first. The movies don't explain whats happening well enough.

Charitable Guildswoman

8,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
You should really watch the show first. There are some changes from the original in the Rebuild, so technically it's not the same. It's very good and the Rebuild series is good as well.
I highly recommend original then Rebuild.

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Flatterer 200
The first movie is pretty much the same as the original series. But 2.22 is very very different. I recommend watching the original series and End of Evangelion movie. It's like a rite of passage for every anime fan.
It would be good to watch the original show first. While the movies have updated tech, they are also condensed. And while the original plot does not change in the new movies very much, little changes in the script and scenery can create different impressions of characters and their personalities. They were able to get most of the original voice actors back, but for the sake of clarification, the movies are very different in their organization. If you watch them first, you might not be able to appreciate some of the unique qualities of the original story. smile

5,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Clambake 200
User Image User Image User Image

• • - - - - - - • •

Watch the show, you don't get that amazing old anime feel with the movies. <3

Distinct Grabber

8,650 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Heckler 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
As with everyone else's choice, watch the series and see the differences between it and the Rebuild series. I'd also highly suggest (if I could force you, I would) to watch End of Evangelion after watching the T.V series. ... here, let me super impose it for you:

WATCH END OF EVANGELION AND ENJOY THE LOSS OF YOUR MENTAL VIRGINITY!

I'm sorry but I'm an extremly big fan of NGE ^^;

Lunatic

TV Series, most definitely, I'm losing hope on 3.0 and 4.0 coming out.

Sexy Duck

watch everything,,
wow, you've probably seen the movies by now lol. If you have, how did you like them?

This is for anyone stumbles upon this topic and is wondering on how to go about jump into NGE. I think the best way to go about it is the watch The End of Evangelion. This was suggested somewhere else too and I think its the perfect advice for this anime, especially because of how its set up and where End of Evangelion's place is among the other NGE media. If you like it, then I say jump head first into the anime. And save the reboots, You Are Not Alone & You Can Not Advance, for after you've finished the series. Its like saving the best for last because the reboots are pure magic and amazing and so sick nasty, lol. And the series has so much more than the reboots, you really get to know the characters, which is the best part about this anime to me, and the dynamics, which although the reboots look spetacular, since their shorter feature films they don't go into as much depth. So having the series behind you is good and makes the reboots 10x more awesome then they already are.

Also after you want the series, make sure to watch the alt endings as well, and look for forums/fan websites. NGE is confusing first time around, and you miss a crap ton of stuff. If you really love this anime and want to get into it, find a site to read along as you go, ep by ep. Or just go through, and then when you're finished, find a helpful website and watch NGE all over. This anime is RICH, i mean rich with imagery and symbolism and nuances and hints. It has layers of stuff, and thats what makes it so awesome besides the battle sequences, and the characters, and the story, and the animation.

Anyways, can't wait for the last two reboot films. UGH, I have no patience. Absolutely none! Enjoy ^_^ biggrin
Nathan Angelo
watch everything,,

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas