Welcome to Gaia! ::

Netflix. You can get so many DVDs from them. I think its like $14 a month. You get three DVDs at a time and you can have upto 500 DVDs in your queue. It may be only a rental site but you can easily find ways around it with a DVD burner. I have my queue full of anime. I think I have 10 non anime DVDs in my queue and the rest are animes. Not to mention they have just about every anime thats come to America.
Media Play and various video game stores have large selections of used DVDs. Look around and eventually you'll stummble across something you like.
I use eBay. If that fails, either reserve stuff at Suncoast (make sure you have a Replay card), or buy stuff at Best Buy or Hastings. Things can only get more expensive after that; GameStop, EBGames, FYE, and so on.

Or try www.rightstuf.com

but yes, definately be extremely weary of box sets for $12. Chances are it's a bootleg copy, and bootlegs are often crappy. My Cowboy Bebop bootleg has digital artifacting all over it.
i don't no any sites but try big chinese malls. where i live there's one called pacific mall
I use ebay and Amazon.com. If you're lucky you can get DVDs very cheap.
I'll second the DeepDiscountDVD recommendation. Another good, legitmate site to try is www.digitaleyes.net. They also buy and sell used DVDs, as well.

Distinct Hunter

8,200 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
REZURII
Uncle Kenny
Do NOT get that box set, there is not a chance that it is legitimate, not a chance in hell. Be very careful, things like that are bootlegs and fansubs, you'd be supporting their illegal activities by buying them. Use well known websites and pay close attention to the price, if it seems too good to be true then it probably is.

You may be right but I have borrowed my friends box set and its in perfect condition and is in the actual case (no way was this a bootleg). He also said the site he got it from was based in Malaysia so maybe the exchange rate is different.

How would the exchange rates drop the price of a box set worth over 100$ to about 12$?

Not only would these Malaysians need to buy that 100+ dollar set from the US and pay to have it shipped to them, but they would then need to shave better than 88$ off the price... and that is before paying the international shipping (again) to send it back to the US. No company could manage to survive losses like that in a legit manner.

No, what they are doing is using loopholes in their country's laws that allow them to get around international copyright laws. Their product is a bootleg.

And while many bootleggers made passable fake cases (some looking better than the legitimate discs), there is a fairly simple test... Are these discs regionless. Many bootleggers remove the region coding from discs so as to sell to a wider audience... No legit dvds that I know of (and none whatsoever from the big licensors) are regionless due to contractual obligations with the Japanese that they have purchased the license from.
You definitely have to be careful about where you're getting this stuff from...Chances are, if it's TOO cheap, it's either:

A) Pirated
B) In absolutely shitty condition
C) Both.

Like that box set you mentioned. $12, my a**...It's sure to be pirated and/or in shitty condition for that price...It probably also has...Aramaic subtitles and dubbing, or something...

Someone also mentioned EB as a possible place. The thing about EB though is that they seel a lot of USED titles for that cheap of a price. If it's used, you don't know where it's been...And it also might be in ultra-shitty condition.

So just be very, very careful and mindful of where you're getting your stuff from, especially form the internet...

Distinct Hunter

8,200 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
Haru Hana
you can find original japanese stuff for cheap, but they won't have dubbed versions. dubs is what makes the price go up.
if you are careful then try ebay (make sure you don't buy a bootleg) and amazon has nice used stuff.

Original Japanese stuff has no English subtitles and is more expensive than American releases. In Japan you pay 40-60 bucks for 2 episodes with no extras.

What you are thinking of are bootlegs made in Japan with either secondhand translations from Chinese releases (Japanese to Chinese, then Chinese to English, not a good way to get accurate translations) or fansubs downloaded and sold illegally.

Dubs actually bring the prices down in the long run. Not only do they not cost as much as you seem to think, but dubbed shows can be shown on TV, generating revenue, and sell more copies than a show that has been only subtitled. When you spread the costs of licensing out over thousands of people rather than just hundreds, then things get cheaper.

No, my dear, your bootlegging brings the prices up.

Distinct Hunter

8,200 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
Byron_Wolfmoon
You definitely have to be careful about where you're getting this stuff from...Chances are, if it's TOO cheap, it's either:

A) Pirated
B) In absolutely shitty condition
C) Both.

Like that box set you mentioned. $12, my a**...It's sure to be pirated and/or in shitty condition for that price...It probably also has...Aramaic subtitles and dubbing, or something...

Someone also mentioned EB as a possible place. The thing about EB though is that they seel a lot of USED titles for that cheap of a price. If it's used, you don't know where it's been...And it also might be in ultra-shitty condition.

So just be very, very careful and mindful of where you're getting your stuff from, especially form the internet...

However, EB and other large chains do stand behind their used DVDs...

Hygienic Hunter

you should try ebay or amazon, i hear they have great deals and stuff.... just be careful tho. i thought i was getting a heatguy j box set... but it turned out to be the collectors box with the last dvd of the deries in it.... needless to say... i still watched it^^ made no sence but it still rocks the sox
Ebay works really well and there are some places that sell used ones so try those

Lonely Explorer

8,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
try discountanime.com or nextdayanime.com they both have affordable dvds ... also best buy has good prices and if you lucky you can find some at walmart- thats were i got inuyashathemovie 3... Ja ne rofl

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff