Welcome to Gaia! ::

I know this isn't about anime or manga but if we can talk about korra, we can talk about this.

So western animation these days tends to be mainly comedy with the occasional action show. Instead of moaning after shows that no longer air, I'd like to chat about the ones that do.

I think we can skip over the big ones like My little pony, Adventure time, korra, ect, and discuss the many others that have not been talked to death.

I'll start by listing a few networks and the cartoons that play on them that I like or dislike.

Cartoon Network:
As far as consistently churning out quality, it's a bit passed it's prime, but really what isn't. I think good ol CN still has several gems to offer.

Teen Titans Go!: It's not the season six we were hoping for, the animation is lazy, and they flanderize the characters into parodies of themselves. It's also very,very funny and possibly the best comedy CN has had in years. So butthurt fans of the original, pull the fandumb stick out of your bum hole and give it a chance. You just might find your butt isn't quite as hurt as you think.

Steven Universe: I REALLY like this show. It's a sweet and slightly dark show about a magical boy discovering his powers and magic heritage. It has fun characters, a splash of action, and an interesting story told through 15 minute episodes. If you're not watching this show, GO WATCH IT! It even has kitten body horror! KITTEN BODY HORROR!!!

The amazing world of gumball: This is the last show on CN I'm gonna talk possitively about. The adventures of the waterson family and their pet fish that grew legs started out rather subpar. The characters and plots were dull and almost preachy(Just listen to darwins speach on stealing). Over time the plots grew clever and took on an almost deconstructive style. Half of the episodes deal with silly nonsense. Like gumball getting possesed exorcist style by his jealousy and trying to "remove" a talking potted plant. Or what the inanimate objects and background characters do when the main characters aren't around. The other half deal with picking apart tropes. Like everyones problems being fixed by the end of the episode and the lack of consequences. About a fourth of the episodes are crap but it's really shaping up to be a fun show.

Also, looking forward to Over the garden wall.

Now the bad...
Regular show This has to be one of the most obnoxious shows I have seen. Not ugly obnoxious like secret mountain fort awesome or poroblem solvers. Not stupid obnoxious like uncle grandpa. No, this show is obnoxious for the worst possible reason, the characters. Jeez I hate these characters, from the irksome things that come out of their mouths(Whoooooooa!) To their just plain chringe worthy unfuness to be around(Muscle man, Benson, Rigbe). Every episode is the same thing. Someone does something stupid, it takes an over the top supernatural turn and nearly kills people(or in a few cases does actually kill a character... that part I enjoy) and is solved by fixing what started it. On a side note, I actually like CJ. quite a bit. Especially when she's mad...

There are a few others on CN I dislike. Namely uncle grandpa and clarence, but there not worth the effort.

Another side note. Has anyone seen legends of chima or tenkai knights? I'd like to know what you think.

Disney:
It's well, disney... so yeah, it's allright.

Gravity falls: I'm just gonna say you should be watching this and leave it at that.

Ultimate spiderman: I quite like this one, it's really the only good superhero show on at the time. I get why people dislike it, the show tries way too hard to be funny. As much as it trips on itself though, it really is a fairly well done show. Did you see the deadpool episode? It was pg deadpool but it felt like deadpool. That unalive bit was perfect and ron stopable as his va was fun. Its also nice to see drake bell have work.

Does slug terra still come on? It wasn't bad.

This next show is though.

Hulk and the agents of S.M.A.S.H. It takes everything that ultimate spiderman does wrong and cranks it WAY up. That camera interview crap is the final nail in the coffin.

I think I've listed enough for now.
Your go...

Linalee's Spouse

Fashionable Elder

good s**t: gumball, regular show (kind of), fish hooks (even tho its over)

bad s**t: most everything else

i feel like gumball (esp. seasons 2-3) is the spongebob of this decade but unfortunately nowhere near as popular. gumball is so ******** funny i could watch it all day

teen titans go is a hit and miss for me? when its funny its really good when its not funny (most of the time) its not really worth watching

i couldnt get into steven universe

uncle grandpa isnt bad

edit: OH OH MAN I DIDNT SEE YOU ASK ABOUT TENKAI KNIGHTS TENKAI KNIGHTS IS GOOD s**t TENKAI KNIGHTS SO GOOD its actually an anime BUT THAT POINT ASIDE ITS SO GOOD PLEASE WATCH IT?
Slug terra is a demon. I went to watch DBZ Battle of Gods in theaters when it came out over here, and for some reason, instead of playing that at its scheduled time, we had to sit through fifteen mind numbing minutes of slug terra before seeing what we all came, and paid money to see.

Unfortunately I have nothing else to contribute, since I don't really want any western cartoons outside of Adventure Time. Although, I do like your opinion of Regular Show. I really don't see why so many people like that one...

Shadowy Girl

11,875 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
The animation/cartoons forum is for this.

And I see no one's talking about the more adult-oriented animation here... I think I speak for everyone when I say that Bob's Burgers is probably one of the best animated sitcoms we've had for years. I just love it to death.

The new season of South Park is really meh. Like last season had some good episodes, and the Black Friday special was great but... This season is meh. Maybe South Park has lost its luster...

Now, I'm a big fan of Adult Swim. Hate the Seth McFarland reruns and a few shows, but everything else is solid, even some of the live action stuff. I mean Moral Orel was probably one of the greatest pieces of western animation ever made (If you have not seen it in its entirety YOU NEED TO. It's one of those few cartoons that tell a serious story). As for their newer shows... Well Rick and Morty was ******** fantastic and worth all of the hype and I can't wait for a season 2.

I am a big fan of Superjail, season 4 was short but satisfying.

The new Mr. Pickles shows looks terrible. It just looks like badly done shock humor just for the sake of shock humor. Like Brickleberry but worse.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
I'm watching Gravity Falls illegally... It's its own damn fault for not being available on Netflix or season-based DVD.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff