Welcome to Gaia! ::

with the current manga events what are your feelings on Shima?

******** that little s**t 0.11818181818182 11.8% [ 13 ]
dammit Shima! 0.25454545454545 25.5% [ 28 ]
not quite as fond of him as before 0.036363636363636 3.6% [ 4 ]
unchanged/still dislike 0.027272727272727 2.7% [ 3 ]
ucnchanged/still like 0.054545454545455 5.5% [ 6 ]
like him a little more 0.018181818181818 1.8% [ 2 ]
seriously liking him more 0.018181818181818 1.8% [ 2 ]
loving him now 0.036363636363636 3.6% [ 4 ]
******** YEAH CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT 0.12727272727273 12.7% [ 14 ]
poll whore 0.30909090909091 30.9% [ 34 ]
Total Votes:[ 110 ]

Partying Reveler

Mugetsu Ookamiza
Neon Wasteland
Mugetsu Ookamiza
Neon Wasteland
Mugetsu Ookamiza
I went to TVTropes today to see if after this last chapter anyone had added some theories to the Wild Mass Guessing page for AoEx. I didn't see any, but I did see a theory about Rin that wasn't there the last time I looked. and really, it's an interesting one that does make some sense...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/BlueExorcist
Rin is somewhat Dyslexic...
...or something in his demonic heritage gives him something much like it.

Watching the episodes and reading the manga, Rin's inability to read anything but manga well is ridiculous. In all honesty, he's actually of average intelligence – he's smart enough in the Boot Camp to immediately think of the lights and when he's doing the candle training he does eventually figure something out to help him do it by himself in the manga. Most of his “dumb” moments come from his ignorance – he was kept in the dark practically all his life after all. So, perhaps his book issues have another thing as it's root – ie, Dyslexia.

Now, before I start, I'll say that most of this WMG comes from the idea that if Satan is the “God of Gehenna” that probably means he was the first demon and thus Rin's “bloodline” is “purer” in that regard.

First, the manga. He obviously can read them – but there are actually somethings that can explain it. For starters, I looked through some characteristics of Dyslexia on The Other Wiki and found some that I think might fit.

One, Dyslexia does effect people who read Chinese/Japanese style characters – the problems are just slightly different in nature.

Two, one of the problems I think applies in Rin's case is: Difficulty associating individual words with their correct meanings. Japanese Kanji is somewhat (in)famous for having alternate character readings. And, if we go by the anime, he seems to be somewhat okay with Hiragana. Confusion with combinations of words is another problem – suggesting that the more words he has to deal with, the more trouble he has.

And third, having a larger font has been proven to help Dyslexia sufferers. He reads manga and, as a general rule, the font is large and it is mostly made up of pictures. So, just by having more pictures than words in the end than normal books, Rin finds it easier to read them. And even if he reads manga, it doesn't mean he's a fast reader. We don't really see him do it on screen except maybe once or twice, so we have no idea how fast he goes through manga. He could be rather slow – which would somewhat explain why Yukio is irritated by him stealing his Jump Square (aside from the fact his brother isn't doing his work): he won't get it back until much later if he waits for his brother to finish.

Now, there are two theories for this. The first suggests that he does have pure Dyslexia. The second suggests it's more of a heritage thing – aka he's the Son of Satan and that screws with his reading/writing when it comes to Japanese.

1. Oral Tradition Theory: one of the theories for the cause of Dyslexia is the Evolution Theory. This theory considers that reading is an unnatural act carried out for a very brief period in human evolutionary history. It has only been in the last hundred years that reading a visual form of speech has been promoted as a major form of communication, and subsequently a lack of time for reading behaviors to evolve. In many societies around the world the majority of the population do not use the visual notation of speech as a form of communication, and do not use reading skills, and therefore have no dyslexia. So if we say that demons, being spirit creatures and not material, don't have a need for reading/writing, and since Rin's the son of their “god”....he's a bit regressed in that regard.

2. Percy Jackson and the Olympians Theory: In the Percy Jackson series, in the beginning (if I recall correctly) the character is said to have Dyslexia. It is later revealed though that since he is a demi-god (aka the son of a Greek God) his brain automatically wants to read Ancient Greek (and is awesome at too) but flounders when it comes to Modern English. If we borrow that idea, Rin's brain automatically wants to read the demon tongue by merely being the Son of Satan. Japanese has nothing in common with it, so he has to struggle with it. (This gives an interesting idea of someone, maybe Yukio, struggling to decipher a demon scroll and Rin looks over his shoulder and just automatically translates it without thinking about it.)

Now we come to the final round: why, if Rin is Dyslexic, does no one notice? I can think of reasons why by this Troper merely drawing on her own experiences: this Troper wasn't properly diagnosed as having Aspergers until she was 14/15 merely because she was female. Aspergers has different signs for girls than boys. (Not to mention all the doctors I had seemed to have this habit of merely throwing pills at me...Note to all: Doctors are human too.) By taking that into account, I can thus think of three reasons why Rin's Dyslexia wouldn't be noticed.

First, he's the elder, healthy brother. Yukio was the one who was born sickly and needs glasses. Rin has this demonic heritage – even when most of his powers are sealed away, he's tougher and stronger than the average human. Him having any kind of health problems would be...weird to think of thus.

Second, personality wise, he's not suited for book work. He's too active and so would have originally have been forced or bribed to sit down and learn how to read. It's very easy for a kid to learn to hate something they have to do if they find it boring and on top of it it's very hard for them to do. And things learned young tend to stick and can even become bad habits in certain cases.

Finally, he was considered the monster/demon child by those outside the Monastery/Church or whatever he grew up in. With all the misconceptions in place, it makes it ridiculously easy for people to overlook the problems someone has.

And there you go. None of this means that Rin would ever be a book person – it just means if he does have Dyslexia, an intervention in that regard would smooth some of the difficulties he has down. No instant genius, his younger brother is always going to be the smart one. But it will probably help his grades a bit and means the only real problem they would have when it comes to Rin and books would be convincing him to do it.

I don't know if this is Japan of China , but is it true in order to be considered average or somewhat literate a person has to memorize and remember 3 thousand kanji ?

I know my cousin said that when she was learning Japanese she learned about 4,000 i was like holy crap O.O
yeah, it's somewhere around there. I wanna say the source I heard said about the same, and mentioned that when Japan borrowed the Chinese alphabet they cut down the total number of characters to make things easier.

btw, can anyone help me source this pic? http://i47.tinypic.com/2z9mww3.png
it's the only one in that last art thief's Elfwood gallery that I can't find the source for. I'd use tumblr to try to source it, but there's a chance they're keeping an eye on that and I don't want to tip them off.

Sure i can look around , Elfwood is that the user who is stealing the art ?
Elfwood is a fantasy/sci-fi art and writing site. it's a little more classy than deviantArt, or at least it was when I was still using it. they do have higher standards there than on dA, that's for sure.

hmm this is gonna take a lot more then google search . I have a friend that's good at find original art pieces i'll show him this and see if he can find it biggrin

Space Genius

Neon Wasteland

I don't know if this is Japan or China , but is it true in order to be considered average or somewhat literate a person has to memorize and remember 3 thousand kanji ?

I know my cousin said that when she was learning Japanese she learned about 4,000 i was like holy crap O.O

Yes. For a person with college education. The Chinese dictionary is quite thick. You cannot solely base meaning and pronunciation on parts. According to a study by the Related Department of China (thus, I can't gave you an Internet source sweatdrop ) , an average schoolchild know about 2000 characters. That's not a lot, actually.
I have slight dyslexic because of late biological development, so maybe that matters a bit too.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
and of course the second dubbed ep is taking its sweet time showing up online, too...

btw, anyone here have any good theories about upcoming stuff in the manga? or any certain demons/mythical beings you'd like to see show up in the series?

Space Genius

I am thinking, someone gotta sabotage CERN to do some evulz with that gate (any high tech research/military complex is doom to this). Most likely, that person is Mephy. Here is a far out WMG: Mephy is the guy that sponsored FermiLab, APL, and CERN since he is a Time Lord.

As for demons/spirits/deities? I am thinking...EVERY SINGLE MYTHOLOGICAL BEINGS! Yes, even Cthulhu.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
BF-dragontshd-40
I am thinking, someone gotta sabotage CERN to do some evulz with that gate (any high tech research/military complex is doom to this). Most likely, that person is Mephy. Here is a far out WMG: Mephy is the guy that sponsored FermiLab, APL, and CERN since he is a Time Lord.

As for demons/spirits/deities? I am thinking...EVERY SINGLE MYTHOLOGICAL BEINGS! Yes, even Cthulhu.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.... why did that last bit make me remember a conversation my nieces and I had watching Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos about a crossover between that and AoEx...

(also, new post style after a long time without one~ I tried arting and I actually liked how the coaltar I made testing out something came out XD the larger sized one I posted on tumblr looks better than this small one, tho)

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.oh gods... I just tried to distract myself from weather pains for actively looking for stolen/traced AoEx art on dA...

I could create a tumblr account for all this s**t and queue up an assload even if I ignore the stuff where people used lineart that someone else traced from official art.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.the second dubbed ep is out on the internet now. I haven't watched it yet, but I managed to rip it from a streaming site to watch at leisure once my migraine completely goes away.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.well... the English dub is sure taking a different interpretation when it comes to Mephisto, but I think it's not as bad as I've seen some making it out to be. it could turn out to work in the end.

also, the Yukio line at the end of the preview pretty much shows anyone judging Yukio's voice in the dub based on only the first two eps was making a premature judgement - unless they were remembering the fact that Yukio was also voiced a bit softer than the rest of the series in the first two eps of the Japanese dub and were taking that into account too.

Partying Reveler

Mugetsu Ookamiza
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.the second dubbed ep is out on the internet now. I haven't watched it yet, but I managed to rip it from a streaming site to watch at leisure once my migraine completely goes away.

I haven't found the 2 episode yet sad

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Neon Wasteland
Mugetsu Ookamiza

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.I found it on tumblr. which reminds me, I need to make a couple more posts on it tonight. and also start up that stolen AoEx art account I was thinking of making since I found the perfect excuse to actually do it (dear gods, this person stole and edited from a pixiv artist that actually says they don't allow their artwork to be edited or reposted AND they're also selling photo prints of it, and I'm betting all their stuff is stolen, in fact, I've sourced every image in their gallery except ONE which I still think is stolen just harder to source via most reverse image searches).

Partying Reveler

Mugetsu Ookamiza
Neon Wasteland
Mugetsu Ookamiza

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.I found it on tumblr. which reminds me, I need to make a couple more posts on it tonight. and also start up that stolen AoEx art account I was thinking of making since I found the perfect excuse to actually do it (dear gods, this person stole and edited from a pixiv artist that actually says they don't allow their artwork to be edited or reposted AND they're also selling photo prints of it, and I'm betting all their stuff is stolen, in fact, I've sourced every image in their gallery except ONE which I still think is stolen just harder to source via most reverse image searches).

I'll have to go looking for it tomorrow i'm so lazy tonight to watch anything. Whose the Artist ?

You should Make your your Stolen Art account for all Fan art. But i can see how much work that would be to do emotion_0A0

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Neon Wasteland
Mugetsu Ookamiza
Neon Wasteland
Mugetsu Ookamiza

I'll have to go looking for it tomorrow i'm so lazy tonight to watch anything. Whose the Artist ?

You should Make your your Stolen Art account for all Fan art. But i can see how much work that would be to do emotion_0A0
I'm getting ready to post about the stolen art on that tumblr now so it should be up soon, I just finished with the comparison gifs. also, if you haven't you may want to check out my main tumblr, too.

Partying Reveler

Mugetsu Ookamiza
Neon Wasteland
Mugetsu Ookamiza
Neon Wasteland
Mugetsu Ookamiza

I'm getting ready to post about the stolen art on that tumblr now so it should be up soon, I just finished with the comparison gifs. also, if you haven't you may want to check out my main tumblr, too.

I got over my laziness and watched the 2nd Ep. I do not know if i feels Mephisto's voice . I feel like he needs to more Flamboyant. Omg i just realized though he sounds a lot like the Warden from Super Jail LOL oh god XD

Space Genius

Art thieves! I thief art from time to time, but they are just practices, I am not that stupid to release them as my own work!
As for the dubs, haven't bother to see them yet (all of the languages). Now stop procrastinating...

Married Otaku

19,640 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
" Hey, it's me! Don't shoot! "

»»» Aniue's voice isn't that bad. It's not as deep or as dark as I thought it'd be but it's tolerable despite the b***h fits people are throwing. It could definitely be worse. I think it will work.

" I did everything you asked! "

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces