Welcome to Gaia! ::

Witty Player

But I wanna watch this series and it has Ovas what this hell is the difference?
OVAs will be either special episodes, or a continuation of a series after the main plot ends.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
To add to the above, OVA stands for Original Video Animation... It's basically any anime that wasn't aired on TV in Japan, but rather went straight to DVD. As was mentioned above, OVAs often come in the form of special episodes, prequels, and continuations. Then again, some entire series are technically OVAs... Like Elfen Lied, and most of the Tenchi seasons.

Obsessive Shoujo

18,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Cool Cat 500
OVAs usually are special episodes, usually it's for completion when there isn't enough content to make a full series and they want to have a finished up ending, an alternative ending, special random episodes for fans or sometimes they can be short versions of the entire series or episodes of the same content but slightly different they felt didn't quite fit in the series so it became an OVA.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Kirenisia
OVAs usually are special episodes, usually it's for completion when there isn't enough content to make a full series and they want to have a finished up ending, an alternative ending, special random episodes for fans or sometimes they can be short versions of the entire series or episodes of the same content but slightly different they felt didn't quite fit in the series so it became an OVA.
OVA just means it's something that was released directly to video without airing on TV or in theaters first. sometimes they're special episodes for anime that aired on TV, sometimes they're not related to an anime that aired on TV too. occasionally they're done as a bonus for manga or light novel series that never got a TV anime adaption (Dragon Half, Ushio & Tora, Angel Sanctuary), sometimes they're original stories too (Devil Hunter Yohko, Master of Mosquiton, FLCL). sometimes they're short ranging from a single episode length OVA to several OVA episodes in length, sometimes they're sweeping epics like Legend of the Galactic Heroes which has over 160 OVA episodes released between 1988 and 2000. sometimes an OVA even PREDATES the anime, such as the Master of Mosquiton OVAs being the original with Master of Mosquiton 99 being an alternate retelling done for a TV airing after the OVAs were over.

Obsessive Shoujo

18,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Cool Cat 500
Mugetsu Ookamiza
Kirenisia
OVA just means it's something that was released directly to video without airing on TV or in theaters first. sometimes they're special episodes for anime that aired on TV, sometimes they're not related to an anime that aired on TV too. occasionally they're done as a bonus for manga or light novel series that never got a TV anime adaption (Dragon Half, Ushio & Tora, Angel Sanctuary), sometimes they're original stories too (Devil Hunter Yohko, Master of Mosquiton, FLCL). sometimes they're short ranging from a single episode length OVA to several OVA episodes in length, sometimes they're sweeping epics like Legend of the Galactic Heroes which has over 160 OVA episodes released between 1988 and 2000. sometimes an OVA even PREDATES the anime, such as the Master of Mosquiton OVAs being the original with Master of Mosquiton 99 being an alternate retelling done for a TV airing after the OVAs were over.
I know, I was simply giving examples I probably just did it poorly when explaining.

Quotable Explorer

From what I know, they usually release OVAs on Youtube. dramallama
They can be quite interesting and I would recommend watching both, but like what was mentioned earlier, its possible that the episodes could be before or after the actual anime storyline. I have seen one that was the same characters, but the setting was completely different. Its up to you when to watch them. biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff