Welcome to Gaia! ::

Doujinshi is a popular culture in Japan where amature comic aritists draw comics using copyrighted characters. They are for sale in many outlets in Japan and though is technically illegal, people do it because it actually helps the comic book market, and no one opposes it. And yes, to the amature comic artists they are profitable.
The questions is can I do it here in North America? I am currently planning one right now.....so yeah is illegal here in North America.

Devoted Explorer

Why should it be illegal?
I'm ♥ Going ♥ in ♥ for ♥ the ♥ Kill ♥ I'm ♥ Doing ♥ it ♥ for ♥ a ♥ Thrill
⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯
I don't think so.
That is like saying Fanart is illegal
As long as you give credit to the creator of the characters you are using you should be fine.

⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxI'm ♥ hoping ♥ you'll ♥ understand ♥ and ♥ not ♥ let ♥ go ♥ of ♥ my ♥ Hand
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxUser Image.User Image.User Image

4,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
its only illegal if you say the IP is yours. otherwise its just fanfiction.

xxxxUser Image
»xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxвєαтιиɢ тσ α םιғғєяєит янץтнм «

I'd imagine some creators would get a**l if profit is made off their characters.

Eloquent Sex Symbol

You're kind of in a grey area on fanworks as long as you a) give credit and b) aren't making a profit.
There have been some creators that requested fanworks aren't made of their property, but generally you're fine. It's when you start selling it that the real problems start.
Loli and Shota, as well as guro ones are technically illegal in Canada (and in China, but nobody cares about China). In USA, I can't be so certain, and are fairly legal in France. But their illegality is...well, how can I say. Like those kind of things that are illegal, but nobody cares. It's terribly rare that the customs will really check through the package to see if you really have depictions of fictional underage kids having a**l sex.

Girl-Crazy Codger

Yeah, if you sell it and make money off others' characters, but very very few people care, both here and in Japan. So sure, go for it. It's not like the feds are gonna come bust down your door if you make it or anything :B
Diamonds are Forever
Yeah, if you sell it and make money off others' characters, but very very few people care, both here and in Japan. So sure, go for it. It's not like the feds are gonna come bust down your door if you make it or anything :B
Nah, it's fairly legal to do it.
Nope. If they claim it's a parody, the Japanese legal system says it's totally legal.

Dapper Sex Symbol

I don't think it's illegal to sell doujinshii in America. My girlfriend wants to make some to sell online. There are people in Japan who also make figures and other things from anime and games and sell them at figure conventions. I don't think they hand over part of their profit to the creators. I think some artists are alright with that in Japan, but artists in other places might not be so willing. I had asked before to use someone's fanart to print it out and put it on a messenger bag.

For Tomorrow's Husband

It's not illegal, most even put on the internet just so others can read it for free.
Coin Operated Priest
I don't think it's illegal to sell doujinshii in America. My girlfriend wants to make some to sell online. There are people in Japan who also make figures and other things from anime and games and sell them at figure conventions. I don't think they hand over part of their profit to the creators. I think some artists are alright with that in Japan, but artists in other places might not be so willing. I had asked before to use someone's fanart to print it out and put it on a messenger bag.

Doesn't stop the Japanese from doing American properties. I've seen Marvel, DC, and even Cartoon Network based doujins before.

Beloved Elder

7,350 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • First step to fame 200
Yup it's legal. Because if it wasn't, I would have been arrested a long time ago.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff