• Sausage Fest 200
So i've completed watching the first anime, including the OVAs
in general i thought it was really good,
and it was unexpectedly much brutality and blood in it,

I am now watching the 2011 anime,
and though the PG-rating is 17 on the new one, 13 on the old one,
according yo myanimelist,
the new one have more censored parts than the old one had-

like Killua's heart-ripping match where in the original anime, he holds the heart and crushes it in his hand,
in the new 2011 anime, he holds the heart in a bag of cloth and doesn't destroy it,

I also feel like some of the content, like Hisoka's match against the caped guy, is incredibly drawn-out compared to the first anime, and the sparkle/glow that is where his arm was severed feels kind of meh-..

I have not read the manga though so i don't know which one of the two is most loyal to the manga,
but i feel like the newer anime is drawing out the explanations of things much more than the original manga, making it feel much more slow... even if the first couple of episodes sped through the things happening faster than the first anime,

so my general impression thus far is that the older anime was somewhat more gruesome,
and 30 episodes into the 2011 anime,
i think the 1st anime is still my favorite of the two...

-so what do you guys think?
even if the 2011 anime has more content and follows the manga further than the 1st anime,
which one is your favorite of the two?

*edit;
i suppose the narrative voice by the end of each episode in the newer anime is kinda putting me off too~

Tipsy Tipper

9,350 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
The 2011 version ends up having more action later on. OVAs are typically more gruesome for all anime so I can see how you can think that.

Shameless Man-Lover

18,100 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Azure Poison
The 2011 version ends up having more action later on. OVAs are typically more gruesome for all anime so I can see how you can think that.

wellno, the blood and such were already in the first anime,
-and i was a little disappointed when you didn't see Gon throwing up like you did in the first anime,
he didn't seem as.... interesting, as the first one, during that act- i think.

come to think of it, it kinda felt like they sped through the hunter exam in the 2011 version, while they slowed the pace down a lot when it came to the spiritual-thingy training..

i don't think there was any more gruesome material in the OVA compared to the television series in the 1st anime though,
Hisoka might have been more of a creep, but except for that i didn't think there was much difference...

another thing i've noticed, being nitpicky;
i think i prefer the older anime's soundtrack to the newer one.. not that i noticed the music very much in the first anime, but rather that i notice the music on more occasions in the 2011 anime, simply since i don't like them in the current situation ^^'

i think i also favor the character-design of the 1st compared to the 2011 too, the character's details feels a little dulled down, one thing that's more obvious for example is Kurapika's hair, which has more detailed straws/strands than the 2011 anime~...

Tipsy Tipper

9,350 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
They were actually just following the Manga so they didn't speed it up. The older Hunter X Hunter was kind of BS they made up that didn't follow the Manga. But it is normal to like a version better than the Manga.

Shameless Man-Lover

18,100 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Azure Poison
They were actually just following the Manga so they didn't speed it up. The older Hunter X Hunter was kind of BS they made up that didn't follow the Manga. But it is normal to like a version better than the Manga.

wellyeah; if i had read the manga,
i proably would have sniffed the BS and scourned it, or i might not have,

in my opinion though, the filler-material fit into the anime rather well, so i didn't even notice it could be a filler, it felt pretty genuine,

i think the humor/comedy used in the older version of the anime was also more fun than the one in the 2011 version,

-and if the mysterious people of the two.choice.answer village, just fanfared an entrance and showed up on a stage in the manga, i think i prefer the earlier anime where the characters had to use a little more of their abilities...

the buildup for different events just feel slightly more rushed in the newer anime, i suppose,

-i've also taken note that the 2011 anime has a somewhat inconsistent animation-style, or rather- the character design has shifted some between episode 1 and 40, taking note of at least Kurapika's hair being more detailed in the latter episodes, and the ninja's eyebrows changed from his first to his last appearance during the exam,

on the other hand; Hisoka's more of a creep in the 2011 version, so it got my likes for that~
The 2011 is more true to the manga but in contrast the old one adds more background to the story since that's what they did back then when they were trying to have more episode material but not make the viewer think it's dragging on.

The soundtrack it does get better but give up on the opening ever changing because it doesn't which I found to be annoying that they didn't change the song at all.

As for the narrator voice I do like it at times because it will be more helpful in explaining matters when there is a lot of context you could miss during large fight scenes when several actions are occurring so the voice does point out some things you could miss.

Now for animation it improves at the later arcs which you can tell in the frame by frame but at the start and half way they are kind of lazy at times. For the blood and gore, again when this started showing it was at a kids times lot so they toned it down but at the green island arc after that it changes to the more teen friendly version. Again they are censoring shows more so then they did in the 90s.

Also if you want some real bloody mess then read the manga but he gets lazy on chapters right before a break so quality goes down.

Shameless Man-Lover

18,100 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
ShiningRarity
The 2011 is more true to the manga but in contrast the old one adds more background to the story since that's what they did back then when they were trying to have more episode material but not make the viewer think it's dragging on.

The soundtrack it does get better but give up on the opening ever changing because it doesn't which I found to be annoying that they didn't change the song at all.

As for the narrator voice I do like it at times because it will be more helpful in explaining matters when there is a lot of context you could miss during large fight scenes when several actions are occurring so the voice does point out some things you could miss.

Now for animation it improves at the later arcs which you can tell in the frame by frame but at the start and half way they are kind of lazy at times. For the blood and gore, again when this started showing it was at a kids times lot so they toned it down but at the green island arc after that it changes to the more teen friendly version. Again they are censoring shows more so then they did in the 90s.

Also if you want some real bloody mess then read the manga but he gets lazy on chapters right before a break so quality goes down.

hm, even though i'm doing forums and playing games at the same time as i'm watching the anime, i don't think i'll be missing that much, not enough to need a narrator at least since; if it's important, they're bound to repeat it at least 1-3 times more sometime later in the series.

also; urgh, 140 episodes with the same opening, that's- how can you even make an anime this long, in this day and age with only one opening! that's just sad..

though i have to admit, now that they're through the hunting exams, and the spirit training, coming to the spider/auction arc it's gotten somewhat better. even if i'm not a fan of them naming the attacks and putting on special screen-texts for them....

as for reading; i don't really like reading online, and i don't have the cash nor the time for the manga at the moment, i'd also not have a chance to hear the voices of the characters getting angry, shocked, or desperate and such. -i also prefer anime to manga at the moment since i can multitask
-and i doubt i'd enjoy Hisoka as much in the manga as i am in the anime, he's a blast~

it's kind of sad, but interesting, how they're censoring the shows more now than they did then, in that case, since my general impression is that the kids and teens of today are more accepting to blood and those kind of things, though i could be wrong-...
Konani_NTH"
hm, even though i'm doing forums and playing games at the same time as i'm watching the anime, i don't think i'll be missing that much, not enough to need a narrator at least since; if it's important, they're bound to repeat it at least 1-3 times more sometime later in the series.

also; urgh, 140 episodes with the same opening, that's- how can you even make an anime this long, in this day and age with only one opening! that's just sad..

though i have to admit, now that they're through the hunting exams, and the spirit training, coming to the spider/auction arc it's gotten somewhat better. even if i'm not a fan of them naming the attacks and putting on special screen-texts for them....

as for reading; i don't really like reading online, and i don't have the cash nor the time for the manga at the moment, i'd also not have a chance to hear the voices of the characters getting angry, shocked, or desperate and such. -i also prefer anime to manga at the moment since i can multitask
-and i doubt i'd enjoy Hisoka as much in the manga as i am in the anime, he's a blast~

it's kind of sad, but interesting, how they're censoring the shows more now than they did then, in that case, since my general impression is that the kids and teens of today are more accepting to blood and those kind of things, though i could be wrong-...[/quote]

It's very much terrible that they change the opening scenes but not the music because it's not like they don't have the budget to have gotten a new song for each of the arcs.

The spider arc is by far my favorite but don't watch the movie for the phantom troupe it's not worth it if you want to see more of them fighting. Honestly taking a few seconds to tell you her name of the attack is typical fighting anime style, it's also in the manga.

In terms of how the animated Hisoka versus the manga, I do agree that he is much more enjoyable to walk when he is animated but most characters are because it adds to them versus the manga. They did a pretty good job of getting he's expression right from the manga. I understand the whole not having enough cash to buy the books.

Honestly, I wish they would lay off the censoring for some shows because the blood and ogre is one of the factors that draws people into wanting to watch the anime of a show that's getting animated. Also it's a pain waiting for it to come out on DVD where the censors are removed so you can watch it as it should have been. But it's impossible to make it that long without being spoiled with this current day and age unless you avoid social m
lk9menf6:0="Konani_NTH"

it's kind of sad, but interesting, how they're censoring the shows more now than they did then, in that case, since my general impression is that the kids and teens of today are more accepting to blood and those kind of things, though i could be wrong-...[/quote]

It's very much terrible that they change the opening scenes but not the music because it's not like they don't have the budget to have gotten a new song for each of the arcs.

The spider arc is by far my favorite but don't watch the movie for the phantom troupe it's not worth it if you want to see more of them fighting. Honestly taking a few seconds to tell you her name of the attack is typical fighting anime style, it's also in the manga.

In terms of how the animated Hisoka versus the manga, I do agree that he is much more enjoyable to walk when he is animated but most characters are because it adds to them versus the manga. They did a pretty good job of getting he's expression right from the manga. I understand the whole not having enough cash to buy the books.

Honestly, I wish they would lay off the censoring for some shows because the blood and ogre is one of the factors that draws people into wanting to watch the anime of a show that's getting animated. Also it's a pain waiting for it to come out on DVD where the censors are removed so you can watch it as it should have been. But it's impossible to make it that long without being spoiled with this current day and age unless you avoid social media.

Shameless Man-Lover

18,100 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
ShiningRarity

Honestly, I wish they would lay off the censoring for some shows because the blood and ogre is one of the factors that draws people into wanting to watch the anime of a show that's getting animated. Also it's a pain waiting for it to come out on DVD where the censors are removed so you can watch it as it should have been. But it's impossible to make it that long without being spoiled with this current day and age unless you avoid social media.

i agree with you on the title music.. but the first 30-ish episodes of the anime had the same theme repeated too many times in-show, in my opinion..

and when i plan to watch an anime, i want to watch all of it, so i usually start with the anime series then the OVAs, and lastly the movies, unless the order breaks the chronology too much, no matter how tedious watching everything might be. i still think the 1st anime did at least the earlier fighting scenes better, i think the flow is better when there's not still frames explaining the name of an attack, i'd rather have the character briefly say it-
though, admittedly i haven't watched much fighting anime, or shonen-fighting anime i suppose might be more accurate, so i don't know much of the still-frame/attack announced on screen..

and i completely agree about the censoring-
at first i wondered if the 2011 i was watching was, in fact, just censored since it was a TV-version and not a DVD-version, but it didn't seem to be the case.. Naruto and Bleach were both quite bloody as well, though i only watched the first 200-300 episodes of both of those.. the ones not released for a younger audience is still pretty okay though, at least Parasyte/Kiseijuu isn't censored, for which i am grateful, since i was already kind of sceptic to the anime once i heard about it..
thus far it doesn't disappoint.

*edit; ah, and i think, yep,
the narrator makes me think back to the silver fang anime, and some really old anime where there's narrating by the ends of the episodes, and sometimes during happenings in the middle of an episode..
Honestly, the only reason why I like the 2011 better than the older one is because the animation and quality was great, and the fact that it even adapted the Chimera Ant Arc and even 13th Hunter Chairman Election arc. Bummer how Togashi slacked off and turned the manga into Hiatus X Hiatus. The 2011 could have adapted more into it.

Shameless Man-Lover

18,100 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
The Only Sentinel
Honestly, the only reason why I like the 2011 better than the older one is because the animation and quality was great, and the fact that it even adapted the Chimera Ant Arc and even 13th Hunter Chairman Election arc. Bummer how Togashi slacked off and turned the manga into Hiatus X Hiatus. The 2011 could have adapted more into it.

well, i agree that some of the things in the animation are better- like the backgrounds and such,
but i think i prefer the fighting from the 1st anime, thus far,

i also think it's nice that the 2011- anime have more story arcs than the first, though those are the only two pluses on my side thus far, ....and there's Hisoka, i think he's a little bit more... interesting, in the 2011 version. don't know if i am a fan of the "add more dark and thin black lines to the face to enhance emotion-effect" though, and i think it's only been used for anger/rage thus far.. it just feels less animated, on the other hand; it can be difficult to portray that kind of thing...

i agree with the hiatius though...
-i can understand that the creators of the manga might be tired of working,
or they might be out of ideas,
and there can be a whole world of other reasons why their work is being postponed,
but it still doesn't help that they're leaving all of their fans and the followers of their work bummed out...
then again, i feel like the companies translating manga, and then don't finish translating the series, are way worse. especially if they censor the manga...

Shameless Man-Lover

18,100 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
+1 like,
since Hisoka's naked-scene was still there,
and this time it felt more.... interesting,
than the original anime, mwahaha~

this episode's pretty sweet, i have decided.

Hilarious Hellraiser

The Only Sentinel

Actually, he wasn't slacking off so much as he had a lot of health issues to deal with during that time (he still does actually). A mangaka's life is pretty stressful, so most if not all of them end up developing health problems and/or illnesses.

Poster

3,700 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Generous 100
The only thing that really stood out was how much Killua loves Gon.

Shameless Man-Lover

18,100 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
baemax
The only thing that really stood out was how much Killua loves Gon.

...are you referring to the older anime, or the one from 2011?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff