Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Stalker

As I work conventions or find myself getting into conversations about my hobbies I find that descriptions on certain titles can run a gauntlet of misunderstandings and just plain out weirdness.

As an example, Loveless. God know I hate this series but when asked to describe it my usual answer is some form of "Catboys that lose their ears when they lose there virginity."...Then I have to think back and explain that. "No, it is not perverted. In fact it is about a highly complex battle system that that not even the creator understands properly as a platform to have a bunch of catboys together in a series."

Today I did another of these when I was trying to explain what Ranma 1/2 was and popped out with "It's a boy that turns into a girl." ...I then realized that while it was a major plot point and characteristic for the character the real story is the mixed martial arts and the multitude of love triangles but for some reason "guy gets boobs" is it's defining characteristic as a whole.

What series have you come across like this?

4,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
GUNDAM IS NOT TRANSFORMERS!

I stopped going to my convention. I had enough parading as the strike gundam, and be called a transformer instead of a giant robot.

Shameless Stalker

GunSstray

I stopped going to my convention. I had enough parading as the strike gundam, and be called a transformer instead of a giant robot.

Try running around as a Cutie Honey Villain. No I am Not a ******** J-Rocker.

Questionable Hero

24,325 Points
  • Healer 50
  • 20 Wins 100
  • Hunter 50
I've only been to one anime convention and recommendations I usually give out online which I expect the other person to google for something.

So yeah, I don't think this has happened to me, or atleast not often.

Shameless Stalker

I always assume whether the other has availability to a computer or not, giving a bit of a tag to encourage or discourage them to look into it is a good way to gain interest in a title.
I find my self plagued with constant trouble when I have to explain Panty and Stocking, and why I like it so much. Especially when I am asked to speak on the plot.

Shameless Stalker

blackhayete13
I find my self plagued with constant trouble when I have to explain Panty and Stocking, and why I like it so much. Especially when I am asked to speak on the plot.

Oh wow that is an interesting one to explain.
Wyrn
blackhayete13

Oh wow that is an interesting one to explain.

Oh yeah it is. But it usually winds up being fun. Especially when I get an unsuspecting victim to watch the first few episodes.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
... I've had to try to explain Eat-Man more than once. given how episodic it is it's really hard to explain beyond "so, there's this guy who wanders around eating stuff and then reforming it out his hand and does random things" which makes it hard to express just how awesome it can actually get.

Horridon's Spouse

Romantic Shapeshifter

GunSstray

As a Transformers fan that pisses me off as well.
I grew up watching both Gundam and Transformers so I know the difference well.

Shameless Stalker

Mugetsu Ookamiza
... I've had to try to explain Eat-Man more than once. given how episodic it is it's really hard to explain beyond "so, there's this guy who wanders around eating stuff and then reforming it out his hand and does random things" which makes it hard to express just how awesome it can actually get.

I've had to explain that one a few times myself. I usually end up with "Think Japan making a superhero that would fit well with American's perception of what they should be." They I go into his mercenary ways and leave out the eventual plot line about him being more technology then human. Same way I do with Trigun. People don't need to know what Vash is... he is just fun.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Wyrn
Mugetsu Ookamiza

I've had to explain that one a few times myself. I usually end up with "Think Japan making a superhero that would fit well with American's perception of what they should be." They I go into his mercenary ways and leave out the eventual plot line about him being more technology then human. Same way I do with Trigun. People don't need to know what Vash is... he is just fun.
yeah, and you can also mention it's kind of a sci-fi take on the old style epic fantasy stuff with the wandering male hero (heck, some of those even come with mysterious pasts and all that). but so many who want to know more are just like "but why is it called Eat-Man? what does that have to do with the story?" since it is kind of an... intriguing... title.

5,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
me every time i try to describe Queen's Blade to anyone

also now i want to cosplay a Cutie Honey villain.............................

Dangerous Visionary

Yeah I find it hard to explain stories, TV series, and the stuff I don't like. Which may frustrates fans of said shows or whatever. Since tbh it's kind of a waste of time. I much rather talk about the things I like than don't like. Which is why you'll never really see me nowadays talk about stuff like Seed Grapher (I cringe every time Netflix suggest though) Yeah can't really tell you want it was about although I did actually finish it and just was left kind of hallow I guess afterwards. I ragged on a bit but I'm pretty much done with it. The few times I have mention it around here a few people tired to chew me out for not liking it but whatever.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I always end up explaining things like that to and then fans get mad at me because they think I'm making fun of the series.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff