Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Side note. How does everyone feel about the fact that the characters are being given personal names? Also, here's a link to a site with the webcomic. It's fairly well organized and it has links to other sites in case you don't find this one to your liking. ;D

Tipsy Fatcat

9,300 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Millionaire 200
Lady_Mad_Hatter
Side note. How does everyone feel about the fact that the characters are being given personal names? Also, here's a link to a site with the webcomic. It's fairly well organized and it has links to other sites in case you don't find this one to your liking. ;D

User ImageUser Image User Image

i think it gives them more character and i can feel more attached to them that way

if i just know them by/refer to them as their country name it feels too stiff and stoic for me to develop any sense of emotion for this character and their troubles

Tipsy Fatcat

9,300 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Millionaire 200
Raivis of Riga
Hm... I don't really have an opinion on Denmark, since I haven't really seen much of him... Although I do remember a cosplayer at AWA last year who liked to photobomb. XD Any time there was a Hetalia picture being taken, they'd be in the background, jumping in the air and holding up their ax.

I developed a soft spot for Spain when he rescued Romano from Turkey. Before then I didn't think much of him, either.

England... England I just think is kind of so-so. Although I also have a soft spot for him because of a dream I had...
It was after the dentist completely ******** over my mouth, and it was full of sores and I couldn't chew. In the dream I had been in an abusive relationship and my mouth had been smashed in, and Pirate!England rescued me and adopted me as sort of a pet. We went out to eat, and I looked at him, and he said "I know you want the tomato soup, but it's too acidic. It'll burn your mouth. Pick something else." Then our waiter said they didn't have any soup, so he stood up and said. "Fine then. Let's go somewhere with some God damn class!" and kicked over the table. When I woke up I went to get some tomato soup, then remembered his words and chose the creamy chicken instead.

omg your dream...............................
Ack. I take too long to write responses. v_v

Names: I think it's a good thing. For one, it makes them more human. And it makes writing AU less awkward (naw, it's just a guy named Russia, nothing weird about that). And it makes it easier to defend a pairing others disagree with. For example, my favorite is Russia/Latvia. For obvious political reasons, some people don't like it. And as someone pointed out to them "Then don't think of it as Russia and Latvia. Think of it as Ivan and Raivis, just two guys who happen to be from those countries."
aviatea
Raivis of Riga
Ack. I take too long to write responses. v_v

Ahaha, same! xD;;

Anyway, you've probably noticed that I'm very fond of their human names. I just adore that personal feel in addition to it being a bit of a habit, as I prefer to read, write and roleplay as 'Matthew' rather than 'Canada'. But none of that's to say I don't refer to them as 'England' and 'America', because I do, just not as often.
I switch back and forth a lot. I'd like to use their human names more, but it's out of habit... Plus, with my favorites... I think "Latvia" and "Russia" sound cuter than "Ivan" and "Raivis". Not to mention my chosen name is Raivis, so it gets awkward. sweatdrop

Dapper Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
aviatea
Good afternoon (or morning/evening/night), everyone!

@Lady_Mad_Hatter - As I've said, Hetalia is a very silly series and people sometimes take it too seriously. Unfortunately, the stereotypes play a big role in that. I mean, we watch comedians and make our own jokes about Americans and Germans and Russians, but those are fine, right? Hetalia may not be your cuppa tea, which is completely understandable, but there's a bit of a double standard that I've had the displeasure of running into and it really baffles me.

As for my own country... I live in America and I am very quiet. I like McD's, but I can't stomach it for every meal and I certainly avoid eating twenty hamburgers for lunch. The stereotypes that Alfred portrays in the series do not represent me as an American, just as my Canadian friends are not represented by Matthew. But I don't see why any of that should get me down when I know it's just for fun. That's just how I feel about it. Sorry if I make little to no sense, haha. ;A;

Hello there!

You make perfect sense! I think Hetalia does get a lot of flack because the stereotype characters are the focus, and it's unfortunate that people for some reason hold a comic/anime to a higher standard then something like a comedy program. I think it probably because humans in general make little to no sense. rofl

I was born in Canada and lived there for most of my life (currently living in the U.S.A however) but I have very little in common with the portrayal of Canada in Hetalia. Despite that I find him to be wonderful and entertaining. Bottom line: Some people take things way too literally.

Dapper Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Maid 0f Time

i think it gives them more character and i can feel more attached to them that way

if i just know them by/refer to them as their country name it feels too stiff and stoic for me to develop any sense of emotion for this character and their troubles

So you think it makes them more sympathetic? I suppose that certainly may be so. Nameless things are easier to detach oneself from. I had not considered it in this light. I love many of the characters, but I rarely call them by their "given names". Weird. :O

Dapper Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Raivis of Riga
Hm... I don't really have an opinion on Denmark, since I haven't really seen much of him... Although I do remember a cosplayer at AWA last year who liked to photobomb. XD Any time there was a Hetalia picture being taken, they'd be in the background, jumping in the air and holding up their ax.

I developed a soft spot for Spain when he rescued Romano from Turkey. Before then I didn't think much of him, either.

England... England I just think is kind of so-so. Although I also have a soft spot for him because of a dream I had...
It was after the dentist completely ******** over my mouth, and it was full of sores and I couldn't chew. In the dream I had been in an abusive relationship and my mouth had been smashed in, and Pirate!England rescued me and adopted me as sort of a pet. We went out to eat, and I looked at him, and he said "I know you want the tomato soup, but it's too acidic. It'll burn your mouth. Pick something else." Then our waiter said they didn't have any soup, so he stood up and said. "Fine then. Let's go somewhere with some God damn class!" and kicked over the table. When I woke up I went to get some tomato soup, then remembered his words and chose the creamy chicken instead.

Reading this has probably made my day. I just wanted to say that.
Lady_Mad_Hatter

Reading this has probably made my day. I just wanted to say that.

Mission accomplished. cool

Wanna hear about the time France pulled me out of a deep depression?

Dapper Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Raivis of Riga

Yes. emotion_kirakira

Edit:
@aviatea: Pfft. Worry not, everything it being said comprehensively. If I'm making half as mush sense as you we're on a roll.
Lady_Mad_Hatter
Raivis of Riga

Yes. emotion_kirakira
XD That reaction...
Well, it was a time I was feeling really down, and didn't even wanna move. In the dream... well, I was on a boat. It was like, a school boat. And nobody liked me, because I was weird, and had a dark aura, and bad things always happened around me. So they threw me off the boat. Then I was rescued by France who also had a boat. He took me to shore, and... then the aliens invaded (I'd just seen War of the Worlds a few days earlier). Since there didn't seem to be anything we could do, we sat on a hill and talked. He asked what I wanted to do, and I just shrugged and said I didn't know. He frowned. Then he told me a story about a young boy he met. The boy was small, and alone, and didn't have much. But he knew he wanted to get bigger, and stronger, and be something some day. That boy was America. "I watched him go from a crying little kid to one of the greatest nations on the planet. Because he knew what he wanted and he went for it." So I thought about it, then I looked at him and said "I think... I want to live another day, to figure out what I want." He smiled. And then the ground next to us exploded, so he picked me up under his arm and ran from the aliens. XD
It was certainly interesting... but talking to him really helped me.
And for that reason, I don't like it when people insult his character, or make him out to be just some shallow, sex-crazed rapist or something...

Dapper Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Raivis of Riga
XD That reaction...
Well, it was a time I was feeling really down, and didn't even wanna move. In the dream... well, I was on a boat. It was like, a school boat. And nobody liked me, because I was weird, and had a dark aura, and bad things always happened around me. So they threw me off the boat. Then I was rescued by France who also had a boat. He took me to shore, and... then the aliens invaded (I'd just seen War of the Worlds a few days earlier). Since there didn't seem to be anything we could do, we sat on a hill and talked. He asked what I wanted to do, and I just shrugged and said I didn't know. He frowned. Then he told me a story about a young boy he met. The boy was small, and alone, and didn't have much. But he knew he wanted to get bigger, and stronger, and be something some day. That boy was America. "I watched him go from a crying little kid to one of the greatest nations on the planet. Because he knew what he wanted and he went for it." So I thought about it, then I looked at him and said "I think... I want to live another day, to figure out what I want." He smiled. And then the ground next to us exploded, so he picked me up under his arm and ran from the aliens. XD
It was certainly interesting... but talking to him really helped me.

emotion_jawdrop
That was beautiful! To think France not only saved you phisically (from drowning, and the aliens), but also from a dark emotional state! How moving that was, truly. I have a new-found respect for Francis. 3nodding

You seem to have quite a few Hetalia-related dreams. Are the nations always saving you in your sleep?

Edit: About the rapist thing. I don't agree with that portrayal of him either, but he does sometimes take it to a weird level. People need to be more worried about Greece. xD
Lady_Mad_Hatter

emotion_jawdrop
That was beautiful! To think France not only saved you phisically (from drowning, and the alians), but also from a dark emotional state! How moving that was, truly. I have a new-found respect for Francis. 3nodding

You seem to have quite a few Hetalia-related dreams. Are the nations always saving you in your sleep?

Yes. Yes they are.
Heh. So far there's only been three. The third (and actually first) one was the weirdest. And it had no effect on my waking life. In that one, I was Latvia, and we were all kids. We were in sort of tribes (I guess it was a world without adults?) and two tribes were going to war. The battleground, ironically, was an old playground. Our weapons were blowguns with poisoned darts. Mid-battle I panicked, and Austria grabbed me and put me in a jungle-gym where I would be harder to see and told me to stay there. Then he ran off to fight and ended up being shot by Prussia and fell against the bars I was looking through. I remember clinging to his coat and begging him not to die. ;-; Then I got Prussia back and ran away. The dream ended when I found an overgrown cemetery where other deserters were hiding, so I stayed there.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff