Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cute Punk

Oh boy, the weight and cosplayers. Yeah, that's such a touchy subject. Hell I mean I'm a chubby Italy cosplayer in real life but I've yet to be confronted with the fat comments in person or online. For me it's not about the weight of the cosplayer, it's about the quality and pride of your interpretation of the character down to how you behave when involved in a 'In character' skit or moment.

That being side I know a lot of people who support a head canon for a 'chubby' America given how he eats in canon, there's a surprising amount of cute art of him being a bit chunky. But in general that's horrid con behavior to call a cosplayer fat. Just un-classy.

On the subject of the fandom I'm all for groups on DA, whatever social site you frequent but it is true that a fandom can literally choke the life out of a series for people. Luckily I'm pretty tolerant of what happens within the fandom though hate and anti-certain shipping guilds, fics, whatever personally piss me off. Yeah, you can have your pairing but spitting on mine doesn't make me think highly of you. Ever notice it's usually the new, younger wave of fans who do it too? The ones who scream and nearly choke you in a hug at a convention if you cosplay someone from it? (I got attacked by a Grell and Romano at a convention once, I love hugs but not "OHMYFREAKINGGODINEEDOXYGEN" tight ones while you scream in my ear and squeal.) Not saying all new fans are bad but I bet the most of them don't even know it was a webcomic.

Honestly if the anime does end I hope it takes the uneducated fans down with it who know nothing of the webcomic. That may sound cruel but sometimes it has to be done.

On the art subject, very cute. =3

Gracious Muse

9,900 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bookworm 100
White Flag Idiot
Oh boy, the weight and cosplayers. Yeah, that's such a touchy subject. Hell I mean I'm a chubby Italy cosplayer in real life but I've yet to be confronted with the fat comments in person or online. For me it's not about the weight of the cosplayer, it's about the quality and pride of your interpretation of the character down to how you behave when involved in a 'In character' skit or moment.

That being side I know a lot of people who support a head canon for a 'chubby' America given how he eats in canon, there's a surprising amount of cute art of him being a bit chunky. But in general that's horrid con behavior to call a cosplayer fat. Just un-classy.

On the subject of the fandom I'm all for groups on DA, whatever social site you frequent but it is true that a fandom can literally choke the life out of a series for people. Luckily I'm pretty tolerant of what happens within the fandom though hate and anti-certain shipping guilds, fics, whatever personally piss me off. Yeah, you can have your pairing but spitting on mine doesn't make me think highly of you. Ever notice it's usually the new, younger wave of fans who do it too? The ones who scream and nearly choke you in a hug at a convention if you cosplay someone from it? (I got attacked by a Grell and Romano at a convention once, I love hugs but not "OHMYFREAKINGGODINEEDOXYGEN" tight ones while you scream in my ear and squeal.) Not saying all new fans are bad but I bet the most of them don't even know it was a webcomic.

Honestly if the anime does end I hope it takes the uneducated fans down with it who know nothing of the webcomic. That may sound cruel but sometimes it has to be done.

On the art subject, very cute. =3

I don't like the anti-shipping or anti-character groups either. I stay far away from those. I will admit that I used to be a "hater" of certain characters back when I was a fan of InuYasha, but then I looked back and realized how childish that must have seemed. -facepalm- I have come a long way since those times, to say the least.

There are pairings that I don't ship, but there is no sense in outright hating them. That's just dumb.

As for getting attacked while cosplaying, I have sadly experienced that when I put on my Zexion costume from Kingdom Hearts. Someone I didn't even know gave me an "around the neck" hug that had me gasping for breath. It wasn't even another cosplayer, it was a fangirl. That has made me scared to cosplay.

Also, completely unrelated:

Guys, can you tell me something? Why the heck does France (in fandom) call England "Angelterre?" Am I missing something? For me it sounds a lot like "angel" meaning ... um, a reference to the Britannia Angel? That's all I can think of. ._.; Sorry to ask a stupid question.

And I would be okay with the anime ending, but I want to see more of the Hetalia webcomic. I hope I'll see more in a year or two.

KasumiNyan's Wife

Aged Cat

@ the Britain comment. No, it's due to the fact England is mostly Anglo-Saxon. Therefore, the Angelterre.

I do cosplay to have fun. Otherwise, I would not cosplay. At all. But, with that said it's a joke you just don't do. Like when people call France a rapist. You just...don't. No. Bad. Just don't. It's not funny. And, it's highly disrespectul. Even with America's eating habits. D: it just really bothers me.

And, sometimes I take it personal.
Angleterre is the French name for England. Made from the words for anglo and land. So, it's the Anglo Land.
If they're having him say angel, not angle... it could be a misspelling, or a play on words.

Gracious Muse

9,900 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bookworm 100
Prince Raivis
Angleterre is the French name for England. Made from the words for anglo and land. So, it's the Anglo Land.
If they're having him say angel, not angle... it could be a misspelling, or a play on words.

I must have read it wrong or something then. D: I swear I saw it spelled "Angel" and not "angle".
Anyway, thanks for clearing that up. o:

Booberry Muffins
But, with that said it's a joke you just don't do. Like when people call France a rapist. You just...don't. No. Bad. Just don't. It's not funny. And, it's highly disrespectul.

You mean people call France cosplayers "rapists"? gonk It's bad enough they hate on the character online, but calling someone that IRL is freakin' terrible.

I wish there was a "block" feature IRL sometimes. mad
Misuki Marishima
Prince Raivis

I must have read it wrong or something then. D: I swear I saw it spelled "Angel" and not "angle".
Anyway, thanks for clearing that up. o:

Like I said, it could be a misspelling or, a play on words.

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
All this talk of a con makes me really want to go back to one. It's been two years since I've been to one...I never saw a Hetalia cosplayer up front...it's sad...

Friendly Humorist

31,700 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Professional Decorator 250
  • Professional Snowfriend Architect 250
Chachi-chama
@Prodigious_girl: It's quite possible for fans to kill the fandom. I've seen it happen to one or two fandoms I was in. They get over-zealous about their pairings, everything becomes supersaturated (and I'm not just talking about Hetalia itself, but the idea of something...like more people country representations, they get published, and their stuff is EVERYWHERE), and the number of crazy fans become more than the sane ones. Fans start to scare away newcomers and old fans, and then they themselves start to lose interest, effectively killing the entire fandom.

Then it starts to become something so many people hate on that one becomes scared to admit they hate it, or even they themselves hate it too...*sighs* It's what happened to the Twilight fandom, the My Chemical Romance fans, and even the Naruto fandom.
Definately. The worst is when fans attack other fans and it turns into a war. D = No mangaka wants to be in the middle of something ugly like that...

Misuki Marishima

Are you saying that we shouldn't have fan-groups like on dA or guilds on Gaia, since the "fandom is killing the interest?" What does that make this thread? Are we the ones really to blame for the lack of updates? D:
It's not a general fandom that's the problem, it's when people get too consumed to the point where they need to drive the story in the direction that they want it. It's a two-tier problem though. You have fans that are getting WAAAAAAY off track when it comes to Hetalia that the way the present the characters are the farthest thing from canon (like England being a weak, whinny thing or Russia being a rapist) and then there are the fans who are strictly canon (history or show) that leave little room for other fans to use their imagination and have fun with the characters. The two sides tend to clash.

White Flag Idiot
Luckily I'm pretty tolerant of what happens within the fandom though hate and anti-certain shipping guilds, fics, whatever personally piss me off. Yeah, you can have your pairing but spitting on mine doesn't make me think highly of you.
Completely 100% agreed! I can't stand it when I'm surfing around youtube for FrUk videos and I see a dozen comments from people who ship USUK or Franada or whatever leaving comments about the pairing sucking or "X" pairing is better, etc. I'm not a big USUK fan (I'm sure everyone knows that by now) but I'm going to hunt down every DA group or Gaia guild or youtube video or fanfiction and bash the hell out if it. It's better just to step aside and let them have their fun with it. It's one of those "You don't want them doing it to you, so don't do it to them." I'm well aware that there are a lot of people who hate FrUk or USCan but as long as they don't hunt me down and beat me up for liking it then I've got no quarrel with them.

Misuki Marishima

Guys, can you tell me something? Why the heck does France (in fandom) call England "Angelterre?" Am I missing something? For me it sounds a lot like "angel" meaning ... um, a reference to the Britannia Angel? That's all I can think of. ._.; Sorry to ask a stupid question.

And I would be okay with the anime ending, but I want to see more of the Hetalia webcomic. I hope I'll see more in a year or two.
As Rai said "Angleterre" is French for England. I'm surprised no one has used "Britannique" yet.

And "Angelterre" is definately a spelling mistake. I see it happen all the time. -_-;; I see failed French everywhere and it makes me want to punch a wall. The worst is when people have France write "vous" when addressing England, Canada or America. First off, "vous" means "you" in French, but you're only supposed to use it for a) people you don't know (well) or b) people of higher authority (normally those who are older than you) for reasons regarding respect. If France were speaking in French to any of the afore mentioned nations he'd use "tu" NOT VOUS!! "Tu" is a more informal way of saying "you". It means you're well acquainted with the person you're speaking to. It irks me to no end when I see "google translated French" in stories. -_-;; Seriously, if you want France to have some French lines but some effort into it.
Or, again, it could be a play on words, with the whole Britannia Angel thing.

Gracious Muse

9,900 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bookworm 100
I understand that now! Thank you all for clearing that up. sweatdrop

It is true, there are people who clash over their interpretations of the characters, but that's in any fandom. I don't like the ideas that some of the fandom come up with. It's not the pairings or anything, but like you said, the butchering of characters. And I know it's foolish, but I'd probably take it personally if I saw any form of a demonized Germany. Even with a good explanation it would be hard to accept because he's a favorite character of mine, so yeah, I might be a tad biased.

That's just an example though. Anyone who's personality changes in a fanfic or piece of art work, or comic, anything, better at least have a good explanation, or I'll back-button the heck out, end of story. I am sure I won't be alone.

I honestly don't think the crazy-obsessive part of the fanbase is the majority, but they are a very loud minority.

And hunting out fans of your rival ship/pairing/characters whatever... is just a stupid waste of time.

I waste spend enough time as it is being a fan in the midst of a lot of the hate Hetalia gets. Sometimes I feel like I must justify myself in liking it, ya know? This sucks.

Google Translate: Not the answer to everything. Haha, I'm starting to remember my French classes from high school now! I know at least that much, that there are informal/formal ways of addressing people, and also the masculine/feminine pronouns.

I'm not a grammar nut, I swear. D:

Ruthless Businesswoman

9,500 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Bidding War 100
  • Profitable 100
Prodigious_girl
It irks me to no end when I see "google translated French" in stories. -_-;; Seriously, if you want France to have some French lines but some effort into it.

Sometimes I like it because when I correct them they praise me ; u;

Kidding, kidding.

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
I think there's a perfectly canon reason why everyone wants France to speak his native tongue. It's stated by Hima-papa that France much rather prefers to speak French than English, and those who want him to speak French are...well, not French. I've been guilty of that, and it was just to hide the fact that he was giving sex advice to Canada before he had a date with Seychelles. Seriously, even I knew the French was butchered...

Friendly Humorist

31,700 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Professional Decorator 250
  • Professional Snowfriend Architect 250
Prince Raivis
Or, again, it could be a play on words, with the whole Britannia Angel thing.
I suppose, but most stories I've seen the mistake in had nothing to do with England and his "angel form". Also, if someone meant to do it wouldn't they think to put "angel" in italics or at least make an author's note about it?

Misuki Marishima
It is true, there are people who clash over their interpretations of the characters, but that's in any fandom. I don't like the ideas that some of the fandom come up with. It's not the pairings or anything, but like you said, the butchering of characters. And I know it's foolish, but I'd probably take it personally if I saw any form of a demonized Germany. Even with a good explanation it would be hard to accept because he's a favorite character of mine, so yeah, I might be a tad biased.

XD I'm beyond bias when it comes to Canada. O.o;; But funny enough I enjoy Canada being uke despite my rampant hollering over Canada being stronger than people give him credit for. <.<;; Probably has to do with the fact that we're a rather relaxed group of people.

Misuki Marishima

I honestly don't think the crazy-obsessive part of the fanbase is the majority, but they are a very loud minority.

This x100,000,000.

Misuki Marishima

Google Translate: Not the answer to everything. Haha, I'm starting to remember my French classes from high school now! I know at least that much, that there are informal/formal ways of addressing people, and also the masculine/feminine pronouns.
Don't even get me started on reflexive verbs, passe compose, future tense and all that other stuff.

amerimulete
Prodigious_girl
It irks me to no end when I see "google translated French" in stories. -_-;; Seriously, if you want France to have some French lines but some effort into it.

Sometimes I like it because when I correct them they praise me ; u;

Kidding, kidding.
XD Oh no, I hear you. I've corrected people and they've written thank you notes in their stories to me. Even so I still wish they'd put in that extra effort. Sometimes I understand because some people have an abundance of line they want to throw in that are French, but if you're only adding two or three and they're rather basic there's no need to use Google Translate. There are a few forums and websites that can help you construct a basic French sentence.

Mitsuki Horenake
I think there's a perfectly canon reason why everyone wants France to speak his native tongue. It's stated by Hima-papa that France much rather prefers to speak French than English, and those who want him to speak French are...well, not French. I've been guilty of that, and it was just to hide the fact that he was giving sex advice to Canada before he had a date with Seychelles. Seriously, even I knew the French was butchered...
I can see your point, but still for people who can speak French (or have a basic understanding of it) it's a nightmare trying to read that stuff. Wouldn't you be annoyed if someone came on the forum and their English was butchered to the point where you could barely read it and they weren't putting any effort at all into what they're writing? To the people who DO take some effort but still get it wrong, I tend to cut them slack. They did try.

<.<; I should clarify so no one things I'm some kind of hypocritical monster. I'm not hunting down stories with France in it trying to find failed French and berating them for it. If I'm reading a story and I notice the mistake I'll mention it to them in the most non-confrontational way possible - most are rather appreciative when it's fixed for them because a lot of authors DO want it to be as realistic as possible.

Chatty Informer

8,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Misuki Marishima

Are you saying that we shouldn't have fan-groups like on dA or guilds on Gaia, since the "fandom is killing the interest?" What does that make this thread? Are we the ones really to blame for the lack of updates? D:

-raises hand- Also!

I am a former Naruto fan. I didn't leave because of the fandom (I hardly participated in it, and I just read the story by myself and eventually got excited for the anime too.)

I lost interest because of one too many contrived stupid plot twists involving Sasuke. I just couldn't take it anymore. I don't know if "fans" drove it in the direction though.

I sure hope not. ._.; And I hope that Hetalia doesn't end up getting as bad rep as Naruto in almost every fan circle ever, if it hasn't already.

I ain't sayin' we need to stop makin' fan groups and such, but there are fans out there that are...over-zealous to say the least. We can fan-girl squee all we want and such, but we gotta keep it controlled. I got scared away from the MLP fandom because I met some...let's just say...creepy fans.

I've met a few fans that...give the whole fandom a bad name. I've heard stories of crazed fan-girls, who've become racist because a certain flag has a similar style to Italy's flag (I can send yeh that story if yeh want). I've read about girls who almost get seriously injured because some fan-girls think it's okay to glomp people out of the blue. I've seen kids shriek and run across a mall just because they saw an advertisement from across the way. I've seen others be incredibly rude to other people just get some bloody toy.

All I'm sayin' is that we can't become overly-crazy. There's a thin line between awesome fans who love to make stuff and be awesome, kind, and cool, and ones that are too crazy and kill the fun for everyone. There are some that...worry me for their own sanity, yeh know? We just gotta be cool about stuff...and probably not do stuff that'll scare people away. Fans can keep something alive for however long we love and take care of it.

Oh, and I ain't sayin' anyone's to blame for the lack of updates. I know Himaruya's got a life outside of Hetalia, and there's rumors that he's working on a fifth volume. I'm willin' to sit back an' wait, yeh know? I've waited for MCR cds, I've waited for other web-comics to continue, I've waited for some of my favorite shows to come back, heck I even waited for Naruto Shippuden to get dubbed. An' even if there's never another update, I'm willin' to stick around and chill with the friends that I've made because of this fandom.

KasumiNyan's Wife

Aged Cat

Chachi-chama

Let me love you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items