Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sadly, due to some people who don't know what acceptable public behavior is, Hetalia has gotten a pretty bad rep, and many of the decent fans are bailing out because they don't want to be associated with such people. But, those of us sticking with it still need a place to chat!
So there's this. Come and talk about Hetalia. Any topic will do (assuming it doesn't break ToS).
However, I ask that you do NOT roleplay here. There are plenty of guilds and threads for that, even one in this same forum!

So guys, what do you want to talk about? ^^

I would appreciate it if you would not take subjects like rape, murder, or other sensitive subjects lightly, and do not make jokes about them.

Dedicated Heckler

sup hetabros
Let's say what our favorite characters are for funzies.
Hungary and Denmark here. o/

Dapper Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Hello!

My absolute favorites are Sweden and Hungary. I also like Canada and Russia. heart

I really love everyone though. X3
And, to answer my own poll, I think it has. I remember just last year going to conventions and there being mostly good, respectable Hetalia cosplayers. We met each other with "OMG other Hetalia people, new BFFs!" and it was all cool. Only one gave us trouble, and that was a guy who kept groping our Hungary. Creep... But we made a lot of friends, and actually became better fans from it, sharing our views on what was and was not acceptable behavior.
Now we're wary of other Hetalia cosplayers, and all over we see people doing things that just make us cringe. No, person, it is NOT cool that you had Vic McHerpaderp sign your REAL ITALIAN FLAG!
I think the problem is that as it becomes more popular, it attracts more fans, and that means more people who are socially retarded. Plus, with so many characters (as many as there are countries and micronations) it means many opportunities for pairing and "Teh yaoiz~". I'm not judging everyone who has a taste for it, you like what you like, but the people who don't realize that it's not always a great topic for public discussion and that there's more to the series than that... They need to go. Or grow up.
OH HAI GAIZ!
Russia and Latvia. 3nodding
Lady_Mad_Hatter
Raivis of Riga
Actually I found it to be quite enjoyable, except for almost throwing up (I'd gotten heat sick less than half an hour before). I'm a very masochistic Latvia cosplayer. ^^;; Normally I'm like "Don't touch me I'm delicate!" but once the costume's on I'll take almost anything. sweatdrop

I see. Well, if you're fine with almost being kidnapped. ;D I do somewhat wish I had seen it.

I would like to cosplay one day, but I don't have many options. sweatdrop

I have kidnapped this discussion. ninja
As for me being kidnapped, it was a pretty crowded convention center. I'm sure if they actually tried to do something or take me somewhere I didn't want to go, someone would help me. I always feel safe at cons. Sure, there's creepers, but there's also super heroes everywhere! blaugh

And what do you mean you don't have many options?

Dapper Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Raivis of Riga
And, to answer my own poll, I think it has. I remember just last year going to conventions and there being mostly good, respectable Hetalia cosplayers. We met each other with "OMG other Hetalia people, new BFFs!" and it was all cool. Only one gave us trouble, and that was a guy who kept groping our Hungary. Creep... But we made a lot of friends, and actually became better fans from it, sharing our views on what was and was not acceptable behavior.
Now we're wary of other Hetalia cosplayers, and all over we see people doing things that just make us cringe. No, person, it is NOT cool that you had Vic McHerpaderp sign your REAL ITALIAN FLAG!
I think the problem is that as it becomes more popular, it attracts more fans, and that means more people who are socially retarded. Plus, with so many characters (as many as there are countries and micronations) it means many opportunities for pairing and "Teh yaoiz~". I'm not judging everyone who has a taste for it, you like what you like, but the people who don't realize that it's not always a great topic for public discussion and that there's more to the series than that... They need to go. Or grow up.

It takes all sorts dear, nothing to be done about it sadly.
I agree with you for the most part. I get annoyed at really obnoxious people too, but I do think pairings can be discussed politely in public. Even homosexual ones. Look at Sweden and Finland.

Dapper Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Raivis of Riga
Lady_Mad_Hatter
Raivis of Riga
Actually I found it to be quite enjoyable, except for almost throwing up (I'd gotten heat sick less than half an hour before). I'm a very masochistic Latvia cosplayer. ^^;; Normally I'm like "Don't touch me I'm delicate!" but once the costume's on I'll take almost anything. sweatdrop

I see. Well, if you're fine with almost being kidnapped. ;D I do somewhat wish I had seen it.

As for me being kidnapped, it was a pretty crowded convention center. I'm sure if they actually tried to do something or take me somewhere I didn't want to go, someone would help me. I always feel safe at cons. Sure, there's creepers, but there's also super heroes everywhere! blaugh

Ain't that the truth! whee

I'm black, so few options there. I'm also a 6'2" girl. rofl A lot of black characters in anime/manga/video games are EXTRA scantily clad, and many characters with darker skin are “demons”. That's the way that it is, not that I'm bitter. XD Most people in my position would just cosplay as Yoruichi, and it's not that I dislike her, but it's a bit overdone.
Lady_Mad_Hatter
Raivis of Riga

I agree with you for the most part. I get annoyed at really obnoxious people too, but I do think pairings can be discussed politely in public. Even homosexual ones. Look at Sweden and Finland.
Well there's discussing your pairings, which there's nothing wrong with. Then there's talking about graphic yaoi and "OMG HOT BUTTSECKS!!!" in crowded public places, and even acting out stuff. Or forcing unwanted contact on people, even when they've told you to stop (note, that Russia that "kidnapped" me put me down when I started complaining). While every fandom has those people, Hetalia has become notorious for them. It bothers me greatly, because I know that when I cosplay at AWA this year, so many people are gonna see me and think "Great, another Hetafag. Better stay away."

Dedicated Heckler

Lady_Mad_Hatter
Raivis of Riga

They can be, but sadly some people don't. Then second-hand embarrassment for me ensues. ( 艸)
Hell I'm probably more obsessed with pairings and the series itself than some of the weeaboos in the fandom, but there's a right place and right way to discuss those things.
typos, typos errywhere
Lady_Mad_Hatter
Raivis of Riga
Lady_Mad_Hatter
Raivis of Riga

Ain't that the truth! whee

I'm black, so few options there. I'm also a 6'2" girl. rofl A lot of black characters in anime/manga/video games are EXTRA scantily clad, and many characters with darker skin are “demons”. That's the way that it is, not that I'm bitter. XD Most people in my position would just cosplay as Yoruichi, and it's not that I dislike her, but it's a bit overdone.
Don't let your skin color hold you back! Cosplay whoever the ******** you want! You can't help that it doesn't match up, just like I can't help being so short (it works for Latvia, yes, but not other characters I've done). You just gotta own it! Nobody is exactly like the person they cosplay. We're human. And if anyone judges you for that, they're not worth your time.

Dapper Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Raivis of Riga
Well there's discussing your pairings, which there's nothing wrong with. Then there's talking about graphic yaoi and "OMG HOT BUTTSECKS!!!" in crowded public places, and even acting out stuff. Or forcing unwanted contact on people, even when they've told you to stop (note, that Russia that "kidnapped" me put me down when I started complaining). While every fandom has those people, Hetalia has become notorious for them. It bothers me greatly, because I know that when I cosplay at AWA this year, so many people are gonna see me and think "Great, another Hetafag. Better stay away."

*Sigh* Yeah, I hate people like that too, but they exist amongst almost any anime-related fanbase with a large number of characters. I think that while some people may think badly about all Hetalia fans based on the stupid actions of a few, a greater number of people will understand that they are a minority.
Lady_Mad_Hatter
Raivis of Riga

*Sigh* Yeah, I hate people like that too, but they exist amongst almost any anime-related fanbase with a large number of characters. I think that while some people may think badly about all Hetalia fans based on the stupid actions of a few, a greater number of people will understand that they are a minority.
I'd like to believe that, but I haven't seen much proof of it.

Oh! On this subject: Because we love the series so much, my friends and I host or help with panels at almost every con we go to, and we start each one with a "How to be a good fan" lecture. Our main points are things like "Treat flags with respect, no means no, certain phrases and gestures are frowned upon by the public." Mostly common sense, and some good tips for any fandom. The first time we did it, a girl got up and stormed out. After the panel her friends approached us and thanked us for "putting her in her place." Apparently she was guilty of all of the things we said not to do, and didn't appreciate us saying she gave the fandom a bad name. And her friends didn't want to tell her themselves because... well, obviously she didn't take it well.

UGH! Finally! Freaking gaia, going all glitchy on me. That took forever.
Ok, fine.
I didn't really want it to be here, though... the chatterbox would've been better...

Dedicated Heckler

Raivis of Riga
Ok, fine.
I didn't really want it to be here, though... the chatterbox would've been better...

Haha sorry. orz
Busy with the event. :V Only thing on my mind right now.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff