Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think anime is progressively getting worse, or better?

Yes, anime just isn't what it used to be. 0.35555555555556 35.6% [ 32 ]
No, anime is even better than it ever was before. 0.64444444444444 64.4% [ 58 ]
Total Votes:[ 90 ]
This poll closed on August 17, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 >

i get what u r saying well at lest u can ee hought where i am the havent even got bill&mande or fma i am in like no mans land crying gonk gonk
reannaking
Broken-Neko
reannaking
Hard to say, since what is good is a matter of opinion. I think overall it hasn't changed much, but most of my favorite shows are 5-10 years old.

*nods* If you're saying that, I think it proves that there are less and less shows nowadays that fans are glued to as opposed to 5 years ago.

You can hardly make a general statement concerning every anime fan from just one person's opinion.

*sweatdrops* I didn't quite mean it like that. This is just opinions and statements I've gathered from quite a large amount of people, both in the real world and all around the net.
Broken-Neko
*nods* I know what you mean. It's rare to get a rather unique show from the "Land of the Rising Sun" these days.

agreed. i mean , there all good , but its rare that we get a story as unique and succesful as any of CLAMP's (not the only one but the first of the few that came to mind) stuff.....how ever , studio ghibli is doin as good as ever in my mind!!!!! hehe , but they dont really count , do they?i mean , they make movies , not series......*sigh* stare
Broken-Neko
reannaking
Broken-Neko
reannaking
Hard to say, since what is good is a matter of opinion. I think overall it hasn't changed much, but most of my favorite shows are 5-10 years old.

*nods* If you're saying that, I think it proves that there are less and less shows nowadays that fans are glued to as opposed to 5 years ago.

You can hardly make a general statement concerning every anime fan from just one person's opinion.

*sweatdrops* I didn't quite mean it like that. This is just opinions and statements I've gathered from quite a large amount of people, both in the real world and all around the net.

Hmm, okay. Fair enough. smile
Sailor moon is the best manga (and probably also anime) from magical girls genre! Now I'm not really into that kind of anime, but SM is something that always will find a warm place in my heart (it was my first "true" anime)
reannaking
Broken-Neko
reannaking
Broken-Neko
reannaking

3nodding

By the by, what's everyone's fave old-school series? Mine would be a tie between Evangelion and Utena.
There are some really good recent series, but many more anime series are pretty mediocore or just bad, imho. Quantity most often affects the quality of whatever it is being made. In this case, anime. When there was less anime out there, it seemed that more of it was good. Now that Japan is cranking out more anime than ever, quite a bit of it is just plain bad.

Anyway, most of my favorite series are around the 5 to 10-year-old mark as well, but I also like a lot of newer anime series. Besides, what I prefer and favor over other things certainly doesn't say anything for what the rest of the anime community might think.
But. . we tend to be more obessed when we're younger. Just because. Because although we may -like- something we tend to not be obesseive. However.. have you interviewed little 3/4/5/6/7 year-olds? They heart anime heart . Random ones. I showed up little cousins 'fruitsbasket' and they simply loved it. Castle in the Sky? Obesessed. We're going to rent other anime too. But. they tend to loooove things instead of like.
Broken-Neko
reannaking
Broken-Neko
reannaking
Broken-Neko
reannaking

3nodding

By the by, what's everyone's fave old-school series? Mine would be a tie between Evangelion and Utena.

Utena, old school? I'm not sure it's quite old enough yet, but it is one of my favorites. biggrin
My favorite old school series is Slayers by far. If there's any one anime that I love obsessively, it's Slayers. sweatdrop
I started anime when I was like 8 so. .. .my favorite is/was digimon. 3nodding
*grins like an idiot* Ah yes....Slayers. My very first and still beloved anime franchise. Hell, I still collect Slayers merchandise, even to this day. heart
Anywho, anyone else?
i think they were trying to do quantity over quality, it will probely soon go back to quality over time

Hilarious Noob

Yeah I guess Anime has some what gone down hill I havent seen any new animes out latly and what not. Pluss there are some animes they have not released in english and latly they have been slow on that which sucks a lot but oh well I supose and what not =P um yeah and they are runing out of ideas sadly enuff and what not. I mean before you know it there ganna be doing animes that seem like our every day lifes what not x-x all though my favorit anime I would have to day is eflen lied I love that anime <3 wish there was a continuem of that one its so great made me feel sad though and nyuu err lucy remineds me of my self in few ways not many but few and same with that one chick with the puppy dog not really nana though or that lil evil girl POOR NANA!!! you just left her for your old daughter ;-; nana was good girl and he well anyways xD um yeah anime is slowly going down hill cuz I have noticed my interestd in anime isnt like it use to be I mean I still love it and all but im just not as oooo haha so cute must watch more about animes and what not latly which sucks becouse I like that feeling and so yeah I wish they would trie harder and come up with stuff or what they could do is abserv people RPGS and stuff =P =O I make origonal RPGS OO OO ABSERV ME all though im sure that be for Elfen lied people to do or mysterous play or ... nvm xD you get the idea lol
Broken-Neko
Statistics in Japan have recently illustrated a very interesting thing about the situation in the Japanese animation industry: There is more anime being produced now than there ever was before.

And yet, just because there are more series doesn't necessarily mean that all of them are good. On the contrary, most of the anime television series and frnachises in recent years have actually been more disappointing, if anything else.

I've asked several Americans fans that I know, and a majority of them all have the same thing to say: Anime just isn't what it used to be.

The question is this: Why? Just what is causing so many American fans to think something like that? Just like in Japan (though no where near that level), in America there is more manga and anime coming out than ever before. Manga dominates the sales charts in graphic novels, and anime DVDs now make up a good percent of DVD sales here in America.

Even though anime is doing so well here, just what is the cause for the level of mediocrity from more recent anime series? What is it that new shows are lacking as opposed to more older series?

Some thoughts to think about, and feel free to comment on what you think new anime series are lacking, or even what they're doing better.
meh

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces