Welcome to Gaia! ::

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Kairi Nightingale

If you meant it that way, then it is as Darkness says... The magical girls were meant to compete with the male heroes that were dominant at the time. (Did I get that right?) In my opinion, though, the magical girls kind of turned out to be a weak type of hero... all the ones I've seen contribute very little to a fight and always need to be saved by the dominant male character in the series anyway so..... yea....

You got it right, but it depends on the series/season/manga you read. Sakura didn't nee Sroyan (or whatever his name is). She was pretty equal in capturing power. Sailormoon rescued Tuxedo Mask more than once (he wasn't there in the last season and the only boy that rescued her was a girl that she had to rescue more than once). PreCure has boys as comic relief and all the saving tends to be from the girls.

Hell, there's not a female red ranger who kicks a**. She has a bazooka.

Then there's Utena, which pretty much says '******** guys. Who says magical girls can't save magical girl versions of gnostic symbolism?' Really.

Familiar Friend

7,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Rotsab M. Hyolf
Kairi Nightingale
Rotsab M. Hyolf
All I can think of now is a big hunky guy in sailor moon's outfit. Thanks Kairi. rofl

lol sorry? rofl

I didn't have many cross-dressing items. xD

On original Sailor Moon;
It's very sexual, so I'd watch it without kiddies around.
Also, in the original, Zoicite was male. Making him a very pretty magical boy? (Also gay, which is why they swapped the genders. )
Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune were lesbians that were made cousins, but it was very awkward because a lot of scenes were very, "Uh, well I know some cousins do things like that, but where I'm from cousins don't?" They came across still as lesbians, but now incestuous as well.
Zoicite I never thought was male. The fact s/he was the only female general didn't seem out of place to me. (I loved that she was the only female not inlove with Tuxedo Mask. xD )
Oh but don't forget the Amazon Trio! All boys, yes- Fish eye _is_ a boy. And his specialty was seducing/capturing young men- (I'm talking about the manga more now).

Speaking of god-awful edits, did any of you see the episode where Fish-eye becomes the muse of this fashion designer? And they were doing this fitting, and somehow or another the garment was around his waist for an extended period of time- we're talking a good 2/3 min- and they air brushed the hell out of his chest. It was realy wired, stuck out, and was so obvious... that that edit was them pretending like they edited breasts out- but... NO, not even

Also, how far have any of you guys seen Sailor Moon? 'Cuz where the hell was all this "male characther saves the day" when the Dead Moon Circus was in town? And Helios doesn't count.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Chitoko Kanzaki

Also, how far have any of you guys seen Sailor Moon? 'Cuz where the hell was all this "male characther saves the day" when the Dead Moon Circus was in town? And Helios doesn't count.

I've seen all of Sailormoon. If Helios doesn't count, then they get saved by a horse, making livestock better than women. No thanks.

But Usagi (yes, Usagi, not Sailormoon) save Mamoru in that at least once.

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Chitoko Kanzaki
Oh but don't forget the Amazon Trio! All boys, yes- Fish eye _is_ a boy. And his specialty was seducing/capturing young men- (I'm talking about the manga more now).

Speaking of god-awful edits, did any of you see the episode where Fish-eye becomes the muse of this fashion designer? And they were doing this fitting, and somehow or another the garment was around his waist for an extended period of time- we're talking a good 2/3 min- and they air brushed the hell out of his chest. It was realy wired, stuck out, and was so obvious... that that edit was them pretending like they edited breasts out- but... NO, not even

I actually don't think I'm familiar with Fish Eye! I saw it... hm. I saw it through past when the enemies were the siblings who played the flute. Then I caught episodes here and there where it was evil women ruled by one magical guy -- I think his name was Ruby?

Also, Molly got saved by Nephlite, in terms of male saving female stuff. I'm sure there are a million other examples, but that one always stayed with me. It seemed creepy for a million-year-old entity to be inlove with a little girl. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't turn it into a, 'Loves her like a father loves a daughter' for Western audiences, given everything else they considered taboo.

Familiar Friend

7,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I am The Compendium
Chitoko Kanzaki

I've seen all of Sailormoon. If Helios doesn't count, then they get saved by a horse, making livestock better than women. No thanks.

But Usagi (yes, Usagi, not Sailormoon) save Mamoru in that at least once.
xd
I ment that he didn't just swoop in and save the day. He was the only link to the Golden Crystal- but it wasn't him doing it all by himself. He could only hidout in ChibiUsa's dream mirror and she was the one to channl the power to the physical world...

For god's sakes his naked body was suspended upsidedown in this contraption, in the posession of a woman whom I am 80% convinced is a ***** (craddle-robber at least), for what seemed line 1 1/2 damn seasons. And then he got saved.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Rotsab M. Hyolf

Also, Molly got saved by Nephlite, in terms of male saving female stuff. I'm sure there are a million other examples, but that one always stayed with me. It seemed creepy for a million-year-old entity to be inlove with a little girl. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't turn it into a, 'Loves her like a father loves a daughter' for Western audiences, given everything else they considered taboo.

Naru (Molly) wasn't a magical girl. He was magic, but she wasn't. That doesn't mean magical girls saved more non-magic boys.

The dubbing was terrible for that season, so a lot of it was stupid.

That's just Sailormoon. It's not the only magical girl series out there.

Familiar Friend

7,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Rotsab M. Hyolf
Chitoko Kanzaki

I actually don't think I'm familiar with Fish Eye! I saw it... hm. I saw it through past when the enemies were the siblings who played the flute. Then I caught episodes here and there where it was evil women ruled by one magical guy -- I think his name was Ruby?

Google it. Nao xd
That's all early serries.. And the one with the 5 sisters (can't think of their title now... Nega-moon sisters?) under Rubius is the start of the Nega-Moon saga, which is all sorts of awsome-storytelling wise.

Edit: oh we can get down with that, that trope is not so strange... And If I'm not mistaken Beryls court in the "Nega-verse" was sleeping... And started waking around the time Sailor Venus was first 'called'

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Chitoko Kanzaki
[For god's sakes his naked body was suspended upsidedown in this contraption, in the posession of a woman whom I am 80% convinced is a ***** (craddle-robber at least), for what seemed line 1 1/2 damn seasons. And then he got saved.

But Chibi-Usa needed to get down on her knees to pray for his help..while he was in bondage...and the inner senshi got power ups while they were tied/fenced int place...while fighting a transvestite gay *****...

I think gender equality is the least of that season's problems.

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I am The Compendium
Rotsab M. Hyolf

Naru (Molly) wasn't a magical girl. He was magic, but she wasn't. That doesn't mean magical girls saved more non-magic boys.

Ah, very true. I meant it in reference to 'where was all this male character saves the day,' as a sort of tangent.

Haha, I was probably too young to notice, in all honesty.

Very true! Only one I'm familiar with, though. (I hear Mahou Mahou is very good? ) I don't watch a lot of magical girl things. xD More of a Transformers/X-Men fan. (I liked Sailor Moon more than Dragon Ball Z though, which is... all kinds of levels of weird. I chalk it up to finding the villains more interesting, though. )

Familiar Friend

7,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I am The Compendium
Rotsab M. Hyolf

I am so with you there. DIC was the the great-granddaddy of GAWD AWFUL censorshi- I mean dubbing.

Familiar Friend

7,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I am The Compendium
Chitoko Kanzaki
[For god's sakes his naked body was suspended upsidedown in this contraption, in the posession of a woman whom I am 80% convinced is a ***** (craddle-robber at least), for what seemed line 1 1/2 damn seasons. And then he got saved.

But Chibi-Usa needed to get down on her knees to pray for his help..while he was in bondage...and the inner senshi got power ups while they were tied/fenced int place...while fighting a transvestite gay *****...

I think gender equality is the least of that season's problems.
I know right? Wait a min! Queen Nephelania (however you spell it) is a chick, that or she's the most awsome and unrealistic Hermephadite ever-(thinking about the manga now..)

Butandalso, Wonder Woman had to go through some of that nonsense too... Especialy in the early comics. What with the bondage- subugation the only way to overpower her.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Rotsab M. Hyolf

Very true! Only one I'm familiar with, though. (I hear Mahou Mahou is very good? ) I don't watch a lot of magical girl things. xD More of a Transformers/X-Men fan. (I liked Sailor Moon more than Dragon Ball Z though, which is... all kinds of levels of weird. I chalk it up to finding the villains more interesting, though. )

Well, technically most of the avenger/x-men/etc heroines that transform into a costume are magical girls.

If you're more into villains, check out FFX. Actually, don't check it out, rad a few wikis or watch some let's plays, and then look for villain-based fanfics.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Chitoko Kanzaki

Butandalso, Wonder Woman had to go through some of that nonsense too... Especialy in the early comics. What with the bondage- subugation the only way to overpower her.

Her creator was REALLY into bondage.

Familiar Friend

7,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I am The Compendium
Chitoko Kanzaki

Her creator was REALLY into bondage.
Trufax? lol
That's hillarious, and everything makes sense now.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Chitoko Kanzaki

Trufax? lol
That's hillarious, and everything makes sense now.

Trufax.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces