Welcome to Gaia! ::

I don't have a way with words so I'll apologize in advance.

I wish to ask your thoughts and feelings on magical males in correspondence to the magical girl trope.
What do you mean by 'magical males'? By magical girls, you mean the ones in anime, like Sailor Moon or Card Captor Sakura? I've never seen nor heard about a boy version of a magical girl so I have no clue what one would be like. (Unless Tuxedo Mask counts?)

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
All I can think of now is a big hunky guy in sailor moon's outfit. Thanks Kairi. rofl

I'm pretty neutral on it. I was in a roleplay and it... I don't know, it didn't seem particularly different? I find it interesting though that in most cases 'magical boys' are not even half as sexualized as the women (skimpy outfits, constant relationship issues, so on).

Then again, how many people would really watch a bunch of muscular men without shirts going around beating things up? Looks at Jersey Shore.
Rotsab M. Hyolf
All I can think of now is a big hunky guy in sailor moon's outfit. Thanks Kairi. rofl

I'm pretty neutral on it. I was in a roleplay and it... I don't know, it didn't seem particularly different? I find it interesting though that in most cases 'magical boys' are not even half as sexualized as the women (skimpy outfits, constant relationship issues, so on).

Then again, how many people would really watch a bunch of muscular men without shirts going around beating things up? Looks at Jersey Shore.

Or wrestling or MMA...
not bad imagery if you ask me.

9,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Conventioneer 300
lets not forget about the Sailor Starlights... I think that's what they were called. Boys who went to school with Sailor moon in season 5 but transformed into magical girls. That has to be the first thing that popped into my head when I thought of magical boys. I'd also argue that Cardcaptor Sakura had the silver haired friend who turned into an angel like person. If a guy who transforms into a way cuter version of himself and is dedicated to protecting another and has magical powers isn't a magical boy then I don't know what is.
Kairi Nightingale
What do you mean by 'magical males'? By magical girls, you mean the ones in anime, like Sailor Moon or Card Captor Sakura? I've never seen nor heard about a boy version of a magical girl so I have no clue what one would be like. (Unless Tuxedo Mask counts?)

You have the female power rangers so I never understood why there was never a male sailor scout. (high collar scout or w/e)
and tuxedo mask just throw roses and stood atop buildings so Serena could swoon over him. Tho he took over the position of sailor earth so I suppose technically he is...? he was never really part of the team tho.
HydeBeserker
Kairi Nightingale

You have the female power rangers so I never understood why there was never a male sailor scout. (high collar scout or w/e)
and tuxedo mask just throw roses and stood atop buildings so Serena could swoon over him. Tho he took over the position of sailor earth so I suppose technically he is...? he was never really part of the team tho.

Well, to be fair, Serena barely did anything until he showed up anyway. At the very least, he provided a very small distraction to the villain so that Serena could 'wand them' back to normal. Wasn't Sailor Uranus originally suppose to be a boy but was reincarnated as a girl for some reason?

And the power rangers were more like..... martial artists with giant robots rather than magical people. That's my opinion of them anyway.
Rotsab M. Hyolf

lol sorry? rofl
Kairi Nightingale
HydeBeserker
Kairi Nightingale

Well, to be fair, Serena barely did anything until he showed up anyway. At the very least, he provided a very small distraction to the villain so that Serena could 'wand them' back to normal. Wasn't Sailor Uranus originally suppose to be a boy but was reincarnated as a girl for some reason?

And the power rangers were more like..... martial artists with giant robots rather than magical people. That's my opinion of them anyway.
There have been magic rangers but that was just the one series. They're basically a group of fighters that get's chosen by a mysterious omnipresent being or something like that... It might be different every time I've only seen 2 series. but it struck me as the male equivalent.
also I never got up to uranus' introduction I watched up to where they were gonna announce Serena's friend was Sailor earth but then didn't. end of the first season I think.
ChibiLady18
lets not forget about the Sailor Starlights... I think that's what they were called. Boys who went to school with Sailor moon in season 5 but transformed into magical girls. That has to be the first thing that popped into my head when I thought of magical boys. I'd also argue that Cardcaptor Sakura had the silver haired friend who turned into an angel like person. If a guy who transforms into a way cuter version of himself and is dedicated to protecting another and has magical powers isn't a magical boy then I don't know what is.
that... U.A. guy... It's complicated because he's not actually human... well probably the closest I'll get before we go into gender bending.
Actually shoaran can be considered a magical boy. I knew there was a reason I liked that show.
HydeBeserker
There have been magic rangers but that was just the one series. They're basically a group of fighters that get's chosen by a mysterious omnipresent being or something like that... It might be different every time I've only seen 2 series. but it struck me as the male equivalent.
also I never got up to uranus' introduction I watched up to where they were gonna announce Serena's friend was Sailor earth but then didn't. end of the first season I think.

I only saw one series of Power Rangers where they only fought with giant robots... and then I saw a movie where they used both the giant robots and (ridiculously played out) martial arts. I don't know, I just can't think of them as being a form of magical boy, but I can see how you would see it that way.

Watch the Japanese version of Sailor Moon with English subtitles. (They changed so much of the interactions and relationships in the English version, it isn't even funny.)

5,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Magical males are sentai/ranger teams. The magical girls genre was created because the male trope came first and there was not gender/sex equality.

See how lack of research makes you think backwards?
Kairi Nightingale
I only saw one series of Power Rangers where they only fought with giant robots... and then I saw a movie where they used both the giant robots and (ridiculously played out) martial arts. I don't know, I just can't think of them as being a form of magical boy, but I can see how you would see it that way.

Watch the Japanese version of Sailor Moon with English subtitles. (They changed so much of the interactions and relationships in the English version, it isn't even funny.)

That's every series actually... And I meant male equivalent like dolls and leggo.

They'd have to since English speakers wouldn't understand. I miss they days when the translators did more than just translating the individual words.
HydeBeserker

That's every series actually... And I meant male equivalent like dolls and leggo.

They'd have to since English speakers wouldn't understand. I miss they days when the translators did more than just translating the individual words.

If you meant it that way, then it is as Darkness says... The magical girls were meant to compete with the male heroes that were dominant at the time. (Did I get that right?) In my opinion, though, the magical girls kind of turned out to be a weak type of hero... all the ones I've seen contribute very little to a fight and always need to be saved by the dominant male character in the series anyway so..... yea....

That's not what I meant by change. I mean, they changed parts of the story when they translated it to English so it would suit the more prudish attitude that Americans hold. Ex: Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus were portrayed as cousins (I believe?) in the English version but in the Japanese they were actually in a relationship. (Or so I've heard... haven't seen enough of it yet and my internet is too slow to check anything out right now.) And they've also cut parts out of the English version of the Anime that were originally in the Japanese. That's why I'm advising you to watch the Japanese version if you can.

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Kairi Nightingale
Rotsab M. Hyolf

lol sorry? rofl

I didn't have many cross-dressing items. xD

On original Sailor Moon;
It's very sexual, so I'd watch it without kiddies around.
Also, in the original, Zoicite was male. Making him a very pretty magical boy? (Also gay, which is why they swapped the genders. )
Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune were lesbians that were made cousins, but it was very awkward because a lot of scenes were very, "Uh, well I know some cousins do things like that, but where I'm from cousins don't?" They came across still as lesbians, but now incestuous as well.
Zoicite I never thought was male. The fact s/he was the only female general didn't seem out of place to me. (I loved that she was the only female not inlove with Tuxedo Mask. xD )

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff