Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Sailor

9,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Hold up just thought of something if males were in a magical girl type series wouldn't it be something like DBZ?

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
DarknessofHeavenandDreams
Mugetsu Ookamiza
except the magical girl genre goes back to stuff like Sally the Witch ('66) and Princess Knight ('53). whereas the sentai-style magical girl stuff started with Sailor Moon back in '91, with Cutey Honey being the title that popularized the action subtype of the genre about 2 decades before that. so while you could say that sentai shows gave rise to Sailor Moon and the subgenre of the magical girl genre it spawned it's false to say that sentai works are the reason the magical girl genre came about.

Actually, no. Sailormoon popularized it. While Cutey honey and Sally were predecessors, they didn't hit the market or pop culture as hard.

I can easily say a fact. If there weren't predominantly male shows, there wouldn't be the counter-part of female shows.
except you said "The magical girls genre was created because the male trope came first and there was not gender/sex equality." there's also the fact that more traditional styles of magical girl stuff do pop up from time to time (such as in Full Moon wo Sagashite). so yes, the magical girl genre WAS created BEFORE both Sailor Moon and before Cutey Honey while the sentai subgenre of the magical girl genre was created with Sailor Moon. the genre has been changing since it first came about, even before Cutey Honey popularized action elements (which lead to Sailor V, which lead to Sailor Moon), first examples typically being with an absence of transformations, then adding in a kind that often included transformations (usually with the help of an item), then adding in a subgenre that included action, then adding in the sentai elements into the sentai magical girl subgenre. the creation of a subgenre does not suddenly make that the date the whole genre was created.

and the first magical girl anime was intentionally created as an anime take on Bewitched, not as a counterpoint to super sentai and similar stuff aimed at guys.

Dangerous Visionary

Mugetsu Ookamiza
Miss-dark8607
Mugetsu Ookamiza
Miss-dark8607
ChibiLady18
lets not forget about the Sailor Starlights... I think that's what they were called. Boys who went to school with Sailor moon in season 5 but transformed into magical girls.

They were cross-dressing females as per word of author. Of course different countries changed things around but the Starlights were completely female in the original as only females could be pretty soldiers.
I thought the anime implied they did change genders even if in the manga they were really girls all the time. granted, I've only seen the final season of the anime once (I lost touch of the friend I knew who had fansubs of it when I had a bad falling out with his cousin, who was also a friend of mine for a while there), but I do seem to remember in the anime when they transformed they did gain stuff in the chest area they were missing before. it also isn't uncommon for there to be some deviations in canon between an original manga and its anime adaption.

Like you I only seen it once but yeah in the anime they go from male to females (which upset the author) Some versions of Sailor Moon even made it so the Starlights called their "cousins" to fight. So the transformation scenes were removed and those character had two different VA's male and female. Just so the dubbing companies could get around the whole cross dressing stuff. (I think most of the Middle East did that since crossing dress is heavily frown on)

We totally need an uncut pure edition of Sailor Moon stars in the US.
yeah, I've heard of some of the stuff that's been done in the process of localizing that (and a few other series) in some countries (of course, depending on how popular the title in question in or how lulzy it was like the Filipino dub of Yu Yu Hakusho which from what I heard could be almost as lulzy as the bootlegs of YYH).

and, yeah, we need that. especially since the closest we came to getting it was a bootleg set that for a brief while was sold on Amazon (first as an "Official Set" then as an "Official Bootleg Set" before they stopped offering it firsthand - gods, that was kind of lulzy when that happened).

LOL. Yeah. Also I like how Sailor Moon themed this thread is.

Beloved Browser

7,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Kairi Nightingale
What do you mean by 'magical males'? By magical girls, you mean the ones in anime, like Sailor Moon or Card Captor Sakura? I've never seen nor heard about a boy version of a magical girl so I have no clue what one would be like. (Unless Tuxedo Mask counts?)

I think Tuxedo Mask counts. Also that character from Shugo, the cat guy. I can't think of any others.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Red Erika
Kairi Nightingale
What do you mean by 'magical males'? By magical girls, you mean the ones in anime, like Sailor Moon or Card Captor Sakura? I've never seen nor heard about a boy version of a magical girl so I have no clue what one would be like. (Unless Tuxedo Mask counts?)

I think Tuxedo Mask counts. Also that character from Shugo, the cat guy. I can't think of any others.
Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne has Kaito Sinbad in it, who is a spear counterpart to Kaito Jeanne. also, Pretear has not one but 7 magical boys in it, each with their own magical element (the magical girl in that series has to combine powers with them to transform but they can also use magic on their own, it's just that combining their power with her ability as a Pretear amplifies it).
...Like Tokyo Babylon? Subaru's about as close to a Magical Boy as I can think. In which case, X could kinda count too
HydeBeserker
ChibiLady18
lets not forget about the Sailor Starlights... I think that's what they were called. Boys who went to school with Sailor moon in season 5 but transformed into magical girls. That has to be the first thing that popped into my head when I thought of magical boys. I'd also argue that Cardcaptor Sakura had the silver haired friend who turned into an angel like person. If a guy who transforms into a way cuter version of himself and is dedicated to protecting another and has magical powers isn't a magical boy then I don't know what is.
that... U.A. guy... It's complicated because he's not actually human... well probably the closest I'll get before we go into gender bending.
Actually shoaran can be considered a magical boy. I knew there was a reason I liked that show.

...Yue. His name was Yue. But thanks for the biggest lol I had all day

5,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Chitoko Kanzaki
DarknessofHeavenandDreams

except the magical girl genre goes back to stuff like Sally the Witch ('66) and Princess Knight ('53). whereas the sentai-style magical girl stuff started with Sailor Moon back in '91, with Cutey Honey being the title that popularized the action subtype of the genre about 2 decades before that. so while you could say that sentai shows gave rise to Sailor Moon and the subgenre of the magical girl genre it spawned it's false to say that sentai works are the reason the magical girl genre came about.

Actually, no. Sailormoon popularized it. While Cutey honey and Sally were predecessors, they didn't hit the market or pop culture as hard.

I can easily say a fact. If there weren't predominantly male shows, there wouldn't be the counter-part of female shows.

WHy is this ^ in my side of the quote box?

This.

Oh GAWD YES, this.

Sombody else with some gawddamn _history_ on them... Or is my HistoAnthro-nerd talking over my Old School Otaku again?

Keep in mind the OP, guys. He's not complaining about anything pre-sailormoon or anything that didn't hit pop culture on its head like an anvil. This is purely about the popular counter-parts, not their predecessors (as awesome or not as they may be).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff