Welcome to Gaia! ::

This is all opinion, you may believe it or not. At least bring some discussion to it.

From reading the forums, I have gathered much intel from posters and such. I conclude that the stories of Anime is at a decline. There seems to be more of an a fixation on more characters than of the plotline. I watch cartoons and anime to see how the story progresses, not how cute someone is. To compensate for the lack of story, creators have gone more about to create more vibrant characters that may somehow balance the storyline.

For example, Full Metal Alchemist. A guy just trying to save his brother. Nothing wrong with that. But then with so many dramatic things happening, how am I suppose to focus on the main drawline for the plot? Also, with thier intensive characters I cannot see what's the point of watching.

Wolf's Rain was a brilliant anime. With it's philosphical mood, some grasped it while some didn't. I still saw people hovering on how some characters were. There was also the fixation on the characters. With this fixation, people were sad at the ending. The characters were ment to sacrifice their lives to go for the greater good.

While I'm not saying character fixation isn't a bad thing, it's not the point. I want to see the moral and point of the story. Characters are only meant to boost and maintain the tone and mood of the story.
All I can say is very good post heart
MelodyOfOblivion

Thanks, I hope some people can understand what I'm thinking.
Theramus
MelodyOfOblivion

Thanks, I hope some people can understand what I'm thinking.

I don't think it is hard to understand what you are trying to say. I like good art and all, but what I want most is good story telling 4laugh
Heh, that's a very good point I haven't really realized. There certainly is some kinda line between plot, and character. You just might be right - more personal character developments can hide an overall weak plot.
I guess it may have to do in part that unique plotline situations in general are harder to make, since a lot of them have been "done before." And maybe a progressively evolving character is easier to create, since they're easier for anybody, especially its writers, to relate to.
Maybe, maybe not. But you do have a very good point definately worth thinking about.
Theramus
This is all opinion, you may believe it or not. At least bring some discussion to it.

From reading the forums, I have gathered much intel from posters and such. I conclude that the stories of Anime is at a decline. There seems to be more of an a fixation on more characters than of the plotline. I watch cartoons and anime to see how the story progresses, not how cute someone is. To compensate for the lack of story, creators have gone more about to create more vibrant characters that may somehow balance the storyline.

For example, Full Metal Alchemist. A guy just trying to save his brother. Nothing wrong with that. But then with so many dramatic things happening, how am I suppose to focus on the main drawline for the plot? Also, with thier intensive characters I cannot see what's the point of watching.

Wolf's Rain was a brilliant anime. With it's philosphical mood, some grasped it while some didn't. I still saw people hovering on how some characters were. There was also the fixation on the characters. With this fixation, people were sad at the ending. The characters were ment to sacrifice their lives to go for the greater good.

While I'm not saying character fixation isn't a bad thing, it's not the point. I want to see the moral and point of the story. Characters are only meant to boost and maintain the tone and mood of the story.

I agree for the most part. However, there are still some shows where the story is the focus of the series. Like Wolf's rain, they are few and far between. One that comes to mind is Tsubasa Chronicle. CLAMP, while having characters that are at the forefront of their stories, does write good stories. It may not be the best out there, but the plot drives the character development, which is something I find enjoyable.

Saying that, I think character development is the current trend in Japan. To each their own, I guess.
True, some stories are purely character development. I love some of those if they do it right.
Theramus
True, some stories are purely character development. I love some of those if they do it right.

Me too. It takes a lot of effort to do it right, but that effort is so worth it.

Peach Girl is a series in which the story is all character development. It's rather cliche, but it's shoujo, most shoujo is cliche. However, there are characters you can grow to like and characters you absolutely hate from the start. It's interesting because a lot of series don't have the ability to make me actually like or dislike a character.
well technically, the story in FMA is all about getting Al his body back, but they get side tracked once in a while, me personally, i kinda know what you're saying and i kinda dont
Doman
well technically, the story in FMA is all about getting Al his body back, but they get side tracked once in a while, me personally, i kinda know what you're saying and i kinda dont

I guess I should change the example for a more suitable discussion.
Theramus
Doman

I guess I should change the example for a more suitable discussion.

I haven't seen all of FMA, but you're not the only one who's made that observation. I think the example worked well, it's just that the rabid FMA fans are going to pick at you for it.

Getting sidetracked is getting away from the story, especially with some of the sidetrackings that occur in FMA.
I seem to see a lot of side tracking in animes. While it is important to leave some run to stray away from the main plotline, it should not be the main attraction.
I agree. I don't mind one or two sidetrack moments in a 26 episode series, but when more sidetracking is done than sticking to the story, it really makes me regret watching it in the first place.
I blame the fangirls. stare
Senshi4alltime
I blame the fangirls. stare

Agreed. Fangirls just get so entrawled with the cute anime guys they can't even be stuffed to look into the actuall storyline.
stressed

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces