Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Did you get anything good?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on July 5, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

Yes, Free Comic Book Day is over. But it'll be back next year. In the meantime, a few questions.

How many of you participated? What did you pick up, and what duid you think of them? Did you like them enough to buy more? Will you participate in FCBD next year?

And before anyone says "they need free manga day," they DID give out a few manga samplers in many stores. But the only way they'd start giving out free manga, would be to ensure it happening is to make the day itself a success all around, since manga, too, would be given out on FCBD.
Personally . . . my haul was pretty good.
The Free Stuff
Archie: It's on my list to read. I've never been a big fan of the redhead, but I'll certainly read it before I make a decision.

Back in Black, Brian Pulido Unleashed at Avatar: Brian Pulido has been one of my favorite writers since I first got the Evil Ernie: Straight to Hell ashcan preview (oddly enough, also on FCBD years ago). Reading through his future work at the Avatar label was definitely interesting. I can't wait to pick up Belladonna, Unholy and War Angel biggrin

Ballad of Sleeping Beauty: I've never really been a big fan of Western settings in general. Still, it had excellent artwork, and good writing. Not my style, but still very good.

Duel Masters: Still on my to do list ^^;;

Dungeons and Dragons, Crisis in Raimiton: It was . . . interesting. But it focused a little too much on the fact that it was just a game. Especially since I'm not a fan of Third edition.

Marvel Age Spiderman: Reading through the retelling of Spidey's first encounter with the Vulture was entertaining, and ahas almost changed my decision on which villain would be best for Spidey's third movie.

Star Wars Clone Wars Adventures: I like Star Wars, but I've never been a big enough fan of it to read/watch much outside of the movies themselves unless Boba Fett was involved. Still, the comic book did an excellent job of capturing Mr. Tartarofsky's(sp?) artwork on the animated series.

Teen Titans Go!: This was also a very good printed representation of the television show it was based on. Whether that's a good thing or a bad one is up to you. Personally, I think it's a good thing.

Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse/Uncle Scrooge: Still reading it. Not a huge Disney fan ^^;;

The stuff I bought.
Batman/Dracula: Red Rain: . . . . must get the second volume eek
Free stuff?
I got crap comics...which I left at a friends house.
Maiyuka
Free stuff?
*Nods* Free stuff rocks. Even if you're not crazy about the item, it's a good way to sample without having to buy.
_____________________________$$$____$$_________________$$$__________
_$$$$$$$$$$$$$___$$__________$$$__$$$$_______________$$$$$$$$_______
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$_$$$$________$$$$__$$$$___________$$$_$$$$$$$$$$_____
$$_$$$____$$$$$_$$$$________$$$$__$$$$__________$$$$__$$$$$$$$$$____
__$$$$_____$$$$_$$$$_______$$$$___$$$$_________$$$$$__$$$$_$$$$$$___
_$$$$$___$$$$$__$$$$_______$$$$___$$$$$______$$$$$$$__$$$$___$$$$$__
_$$$$__$$$$$____$$$$_______$$$$__$$$$$$_____$$$$$$$___$$$$____$$$$__
_$$$$$$$$$______$$$$______$$$$___$$$$$$$__$$$$$$$$$___$$$_____$$$$__
$$$$$$$_________$$$$______$$$$___$$$$$$$$$$$$__$$$___$$$$_____$$$$__
$$$$$$$_________$$$$_____$$$$____$$$_$$$$$$$___$$$___$$$$____$$$$___
$$$$$$$$$$$_____$$$$_____$$$$____$$$___$$$____$$$$___$$$___$$$$$$___
_$$$_$$$$$$$$___$$$$____$$$$$____$$$__________$$$____$$$$$$$$$$_____
_$$$_____$$$$$___$$$$__$$$$$$____$$$__________$$$___$$$$$$$_________
_$$$____$$$$$$___$$$$$$$$$$$____$$$$__________$$$__$$$$_____________
_$$$$$$$$$$$$$____$$$$$$_$$$$___$$$__________$$$____$$$_____________
$$$$$$$$$$$________$$$___$$$$___$$$__________$$_____$$$$____________
$$$$$$$_____________________________________________$$$$____________
_$$$________________________________________________$$$_____________
____________________________________________________________________# 1
Barry Weems: Boy Genius: More entertaining than I thought it would be, but then Oni tends to put out some pretty good stuff. A more mature version of Dexter's Lab, with better art and a good plot. And monkies!

Image Sampler: Sucked. Overhype of already established characters who have been going downhill.

Slave Labor Stories: This was refreshing from the usual sampler book. This was a cross-section of SLG's books, but they were all complete short stories. I still hate Johnny, but this one actually surprised me. Serenity Rose was pretty good, as well as The Gouly Boys and Street Angel. I may start picking up some of these books.

Teen Titans Go!: The coloring on this seemed a little dull, but as Grenny said, the book is pretty faithful to the style of the show. I rather liked it, the story was of better quality than the series I think.

Spider-man: see Grenny's review.

The Ballad of Sleeping Beauty: If you ignore the fact that this is a slightly cheesy western knock-off of Sleeping Beauty, it's not a bad book. The story is..interstingly written, but the art was a big turn off for me. Lot's of Adobe Illustator used in making it, and I do not plan on looking into this further, for all the interesting title made me think I would...
Celaeno
Image Sampler: Sucked. Overhype of already established characters who have been going downhill.
I knew I was forgetting one!

Meh. I LIKE Spawn, but I think McFarlane's run run him into the ground. The other three characters in the sampler didn't appeal to me. At all. So much more Image could have done for their offering.
Grendelrose
Celaeno
I knew I was forgetting one!

Meh. I LIKE Spawn, but I think McFarlane's run run him into the ground. The other three characters in the sampler didn't appeal to me. At all. So much more Image could have done for their offering.
They've got such a huge list of artists and writers to choose from...
I think Top Cow should have put something out. I know they're an Image sub, but they make good freebies. Hell, they could have just printed up and given out Proximity Effect. They have that for reading for free on their websight anyway.
And I don't know who did the art for the Tomb Raider, Witchblade thing, but that was gorgeous. New star to replace Michael I think.
I got Ballad of Sleeping Beauty, and I agree with you about the Western bit-though it was better than I expected. 3nodding I also got the Dungeons and Dragons one, which I thought was great even though I'd never played D&D. xd I picked up the Tokyopop sampler just because it was there, even though I dislike English-translated manga. I figure if there's anything good I can buy the Japanese versions. sweatdrop The guy also gave me some other stuff..ComicCon Update for some reason, even though I'm in Seattle...a pin, sticker, and card all with the FCBD logo, and a Catwoman card. sweatdrop

While I was there, I bought a Marvel comic that looked cute called Mary Jane. It has a little bit of the superhero stuff in it, but different enough that I didn't mind. 3nodding

I wish I had heard of more of the stuff there, it was hard to decide. sweatdrop

Semi-OT, but has anyone heard about the new Sam & Max series Steve Purcell mentioned starting? I'm wondering if it's out yet. sweatdrop I was going to ask when I was there, but got sidetracked. xd
Snookums
I got Ballad of Sleeping Beauty, and I agree with you about the Western bit-though it was better than I expected. 3nodding I also got the Dungeons and Dragons one, which I thought was great even though I'd never played D&D. xd I picked up the Tokyopop sampler just because it was there, even though I dislike English-translated manga. I figure if there's anything good I can buy the Japanese versions. sweatdrop The guy also gave me some other stuff..ComicCon Update for some reason, even though I'm in Seattle...a pin, sticker, and card all with the FCBD logo, and a Catwoman card. sweatdrop

While I was there, I bought a Marvel comic that looked cute called Mary Jane. It has a little bit of the superhero stuff in it, but different enough that I didn't mind. 3nodding

Semi-OT, but has anyone heard about the new Sam & Max series Steve Purcell mentioned starting? I'm wondering if it's out yet. sweatdrop I was going to ask when I was there, but got sidetracked. xd
Actually, the idea of a book told from the perspective of the wife of a superhero sounds pretty cool *L*

Sam and Max? And technically, it's not off topic. The purpose of the day WAS to build up peoples' interests in new titles xd
Grendelrose
Snookums

Actually, the idea of a book told from the perspective of the wife of a superhero sounds pretty cool *L*

Sam and Max? And technically, it's not off topic. The purpose of the day WAS to build up peoples' interests in new titles xd

I lost my post. stressed Anyway, Sam & Max has been around for a long time, it's best known for the Lucasarts adventure game based off the comic, but a few months back creator Steve Purcell mentioned something about starting a new comic with them. 3nodding
OH YEAH COMICS!!!
Anyone else get anything good?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas