Welcome to Gaia! ::

i'm looking specifically in the realm of music. Background music, opening/ending themes, anything.

What would you say are the most popular, iconic, recognizable themes in anime and video games? What are those songs that if you happened to hear them in passing, you would immediately recognize them and you would expect other people to recognize them too? They can be old, new, anything. I'm just interested in what the general public (the Gaia public) has to say. This may or may not be for a project.

mabu janai's Husbando

Handsome Hero

I feel like it may almost depend on the "era" you were born into.

Like, I'm a 90's kid (blegh I hate that term) so music from anime that was popular in the 90's/early 2000's is communicable among us for the most part.
However I watch a lot of 70's and 80's stuff too, and so those iconic songs are recognizable to me as well.

But like as a personal example, I guess, sometime ago I was listening to a rendition of Let's Go Rider Kick, from Kamen Rider. Specifically the Pop'n Music version.

Friends my age (I'm 22) didn't recognize the song and shrugged it off.
But a co-worker of mine who's about twice my age was like OH MY GOD KAMEN RIDER.

So I guess it can depend on who you're talking to on what's "iconic" or "super recognizable".
Though there were some songs I've always known despite never seeing the anime.
For a time I had never seen Neon Genesis Evangelion, but I always knew Cruel Angel's Thesis was its theme.

I'm all over the place with what I'm trying to say, I'm sorry. ;;;;;;
char fashionable
I feel like it may almost depend on the "era" you were born into.

Like, I'm a 90's kid (blegh I hate that term) so music from anime that was popular in the 90's/early 2000's is communicable among us for the most part.
However I watch a lot of 70's and 80's stuff too, and so those iconic songs are recognizable to me as well.

But like as a personal example, I guess, sometime ago I was listening to a rendition of Let's Go Rider Kick, from Kamen Rider. Specifically the Pop'n Music version.

Friends my age (I'm 22) didn't recognize the song and shrugged it off.
But a co-worker of mine who's about twice my age was like OH MY GOD KAMEN RIDER.

So I guess it can depend on who you're talking to on what's "iconic" or "super recognizable".
Though there were some songs I've always known despite never seeing the anime.
For a time I had never seen Neon Genesis Evangelion, but I always knew Cruel Angel's Thesis was its theme.

I'm all over the place with what I'm trying to say, I'm sorry. ;;;;;;

I think you've got the idea- the songs you've always known despite never seeing the anime. Cruel Angel's Thesis is a great example. But you're right, it does depend on the age group. Thanks for your input!

Alien Cosmonaut

Since the mid-1970s in Japan, the Uchuu Senkan Yamato opening has always been highly recognizable, especially with the remake that just came out a couple years back and reused updated versions of all the 70s music.

The Sailor Moon theme is also highly recognizable by just about every anime fan, as well.

It doesn't get much more recognizable than this.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
There's some Pokemon background music that's endured the test of time... Also, the opening from Evangelion.

Kawaii Shounen

yeah evangelion'
sailor moon is another one.
the first pokemon series
pokemon is an anime anyway right?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items