Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Stalker

island0meadow
That's why we need the pros to be doing the work 4 us stare .... >.> no, really.

Pros? You mean like 4kids?

Hell, pros didn't always go for exact translations. They what mass market appeal and ability to get their merchandise sold.

Blessed Lunatic

11,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
Wyrn
island0meadow
That's why we need the pros to be doing the work 4 us stare .... >.> no, really.

Hell, pros didn't always go for exact translations. They what mass market appeal and ability to get their merchandise sold.

ahaha, no pros like the people who really know the culture, background, etc. (and since when did 4kids start doin' what u implying? yu-gi-oh is 'bout all they can do)
Wyrn
l Poetic I
Mugetsu Ookamiza
island0meadow
Maybe I should be asking ya'll 'bout yuri/shoujo-ai then. I think that unfortunately, unlike bl, 2 girls together end up unnecessarily erotic w/o plot. Now that's a genre that needs a push towards plot at least.
little thing here... shoujo-ai isn't a genre. in Japan it's only ever been widely used as a term relating to real life ***** involving real life little girls. yuri is actually a catch all for everything girl/girl, from the innocent fluff all the way to the erotic stuff. some non-Japanese fans assume there is a shoujo-ai genre or a GL genre, but inside Japan where the stuff took off there's no such thing.

Im kinda Surprised Op or the whole Fandom doesnt understand the difference between all the names. I'm not even a fan of them and i already knew this stuff i'll admit my cousin who's been to japan told me a lot of it.

Because people don't understand cultural differences. They don't get that the opposite of BL is not GL but Yuri. Since they love throwing the word Shounen-ai around ( Literally "Love of little boys" ) of course you should used Shojo-ai. It is also a problem with slang and bad translations. The first anime fans kinda started a bad habit that generations after continued of "borrowing" words that they thought fit the situation even if their understanding of Japanese was extremely rudimentary.

Basically one big communication problem .. and lack of wanting knowledge

Shameless Stalker

Mugetsu Ookamiza
I've noticed a recurring theme where I see the fankiddies going "close enough, I don't have to know that stuff because people will know what I mean anyway" even if they're doing stuff like asking for yaoi recommendations but want stuff like Kyo Kara Maoh or Descendants of Darkness. I've also been called an elitist know-it-all a few times when I showed how much I know or been told I'm too obsessed with the stuff. I'm a casual fan at best, I just like to know what I talk about because I don't want to look ignorant, which apparently a vocal chunk of the "yaoi" fandom doesn't mind looking like. I really like it when I get a chance to educate someone who doesn't act like my knowing so much makes me some mega-b***h who is just trying to show off. after all, I come from a family of geeks and I was taught when it comes to fandoms it's one of the duties of the older fandom members to help the newer ones learn more about the fandom.

I do the same. You have to. Someone asks for Yaoi, my question is. "What is your definition of Yaoi? Actually Yaoi or the BL fluff?" People don't realize what a difference it makes in a simple term.

I love the one time I actually gave the girl that wanted manga with Gay boys some Gengoroh Tagame. She then realized she had no ******** clue what she was talking about.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
island0meadow
Wyrn
island0meadow

ahaha, no pros like the people who really know the culture, background, etc.
I've always been told that it's the job of the older fandom members to teach the newer ones, so I think most won't mind helping you out altho we do like it a bit more when the newbies show more initiative to learn. just so long as you don't start calling knowledgeable oldbies elitists and stuff you can probably find at least some willing to share some wisdom with you.

Shameless Stalker

island0meadow
Wyrn
island0meadow

ahaha, no pros like the people who really know the culture, background, etc. (and since when did 4kids start doin' what u implying? yu-gi-oh is 'bout all they can do)

4kids has the most percentage of all the companies of getting the series they work on aired on TV. They made a s**t ton on merchandise to kids that have no clue what anime is. That right there is their market and they are very verbal on that fact. They are literally "For Kids".

Blessed Lunatic

11,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
Mugetsu Ookamiza
island0meadow
Wyrn
island0meadow

ahaha, no pros like the people who really know the culture, background, etc.
I've always been told that it's the job of the older fandom members to teach the newer ones, so I think most won't mind helping you out altho we do like it a bit more when the newbies show more initiative to learn. just so long as you don't start calling knowledgeable oldbies elitists and stuff you can probably find at least some willing to share some wisdom with you.

ahaha of course. I'm always open to learning ('cept when I have a headache... or it's bout physics crying ). I already learned a bunch as ya'll know~~~
Mugetsu Ookamiza
l Poetic I
Mugetsu Ookamiza
island0meadow
Maybe I should be asking ya'll 'bout yuri/shoujo-ai then. I think that unfortunately, unlike bl, 2 girls together end up unnecessarily erotic w/o plot. Now that's a genre that needs a push towards plot at least.
little thing here... shoujo-ai isn't a genre. in Japan it's only ever been widely used as a term relating to real life ***** involving real life little girls. yuri is actually a catch all for everything girl/girl, from the innocent fluff all the way to the erotic stuff. some non-Japanese fans assume there is a shoujo-ai genre or a GL genre, but inside Japan where the stuff took off there's no such thing.

Im kinda Surprised Op or the whole Fandom doesnt understand the difference between all the names. I'm not even a fan of them and i already knew this stuff i'll admit my cousin who's been to japan told me a lot of it.
I've noticed a recurring theme where I see the fankiddies going "close enough, I don't have to know that stuff because people will know what I mean anyway" even if they're doing stuff like asking for yaoi recommendations but want stuff like Kyo Kara Maoh or Descendants of Darkness. I've also been called an elitist know-it-all a few times when I showed how much I know or been told I'm too obsessed with the stuff. I'm a casual fan at best, I just like to know what I talk about because I don't want to look ignorant, which apparently a vocal chunk of the "yaoi" fandom doesn't mind looking like. I really like it when I get a chance to educate someone who doesn't act like my knowing so much makes me some mega-b***h who is just trying to show off. after all, I come from a family of geeks and I was taught when it comes to fandoms it's one of the duties of the older fandom members to help the newer ones learn more about the fandom.

I dont like to stick my foot in my mouth. A lot of people might like it but i would find the taste revolting. Going to law school the one basic principal is knowing what your talking about. I always want to know so i can hold my own. It just blows my mind how a lot of people rather stay ignorant of the facts and knowledge.

Blessed Lunatic

11,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
sweatdrop
^x^
Wyrn
Mugetsu Ookamiza

I do the same. You have to. Someone asks for Yaoi, my question is. "What is your definition of Yaoi? Actually Yaoi or the BL fluff?" People don't realize what a difference it makes in a simple term.

I love the one time I actually gave the girl that wanted manga with Gay boys some Gengoroh Tagame. She then realized she had no ******** clue what she was talking about.

lol im not gonna lie i thought i was the only one who knew about Gengoroh Tagame emotion_awesome

Well on this site at least

Dangerous Phantom

5,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Person of Interest 200
To me Yaoi and Shounen ai is just strictly entertainment for me. I don't take it litereally because it's just cartoon sex or fluffy cartoon romance between males. I like my Yaoi to actually have a plot and not just be about sex. Yes, it can have it in it, but for it to be the only thing it's about, then it just gets dull and boring. At least only to me. Most manga I have read and most anime I have seen is only about sex and its annoying. ADD A PLOT IN THERE SOMEWHERE! scream

I'm not a fan of shouta anything. I watched Boku no Pico and I was scarred for life. Not only that it was only about sex, but it involved sex with minor boys. To top it all off, the boys looked like a bunch of chicks with dicks. No thanks. I didn't enjoy it. stare

I'm not a fan of yuri or shouji ai because I'm not interested into seeing romance between girls. I have nothing against lesbians, I'm just not interested in watching anime or reading manga about it.
No don't like it.

Blessed Lunatic

11,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
xAmaimonsxSweetxCandyx
To me Yaoi and Shounen ai is just strictly entertainment for me. I don't take it litereally because it's just cartoon sex or fluffy cartoon romance between males. I like my Yaoi to actually have a plot and not just be about sex. Yes, it can have it in it, but for it to be the only thing it's about, then it just gets dull and boring. At least only to me. Most manga I have read and most anime I have seen is only about sex and its annoying. ADD A PLOT IN THERE SOMEWHERE! scream

I'm not a fan of shouta anything. I watched Boku no Pico and I was scarred for life. Not only that it was only about sex, but it involved sex with minor boys. To top it all off, the boys looked like a bunch of chicks with dicks. No thanks. I didn't enjoy it. stare

I'm not a fan of yuri or shouji ai because I'm not interested into seeing romance between girls. I have nothing against lesbians, I'm just not interested in watching anime or reading manga about it.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not really into the shouta thing either and the first time I saw yuri... yeah... was not expecting that. 0-0;
It's cool though for the genre to be even there, both yaoi and yuri. This world is meant for the imagination only though, and that's what makes it fun. It's a step away from reality for a moment.

Blessed Lunatic

11,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
princess_pillow
No don't like it.

Haha, nice short sweet reply xp
island0meadow
princess_pillow
No don't like it.

Haha, nice short sweet reply xp