Welcome to Gaia! ::

In my opinion, the drawing style of the Anime just catches my eye for the first episode. Then I get used to it as I keep watching. But some people really gets thrown off at it and quits watching it. How about you guys ?

Tipsy Friend

I don't think I've ever quit a show bc of the art style, but I usually turn away from styles that have a very CG look . Usually I get used to the art style after a while for most shows. When I was watching Madoka Magica I really didn't like how the faces were drawn but I tried not to focus on it bc I loved the rest of the art. And I really love the hold outlines in Attack On Titan.
Hattey
I don't think I've ever quit a show bc of the art style, but I usually turn away from styles that have a very CG look . Usually I get used to the art style after a while for most shows. When I was watching Madoka Magica I really didn't like how the faces were drawn but I tried not to focus on it bc I loved the rest of the art. And I really love the hold outlines in Attack On Titan.

Yeah Attack on Titan was unique, loved it!! biggrin

Rainbow Unicorn

I hate the generic Vampire Knight shoujo drawing style, so if something's like that it usually ticks me off

Questionable Conversationalist

The Revolutionary Girl Utena art style bothered me for some time and was what ultimately kept me from watching the show at all...until I finally did and now I actually adore the art style.

Simoun has a very distinct art design direction as well that took a bit of getting used to, and I still never fully loved it but I came to appreciate some parts of it a lot more than others. Until I got used to it, it made the first few episodes a bit more troublesome to watch.

I'm pretty sure I've dropped a show at least once because of the art style...but nothing quite comes to mind at the moment. I do tend to enjoy fanciful looking art styles though, Code Geass being a good example for bright and vibrant and weirdly elongated but executed well enough to look more acceptable than some of their other noodle shows. NANA has a distinct elegant style that also lends to elongated bodies, with how delicately and distinctively detailed the clothing designs were, it was an interesting connection that the characters appeared like fashion model drawings (as those are also usually elongated).

Kawaii Shounen

I try not to judge an anime for it's art-style,
sometimes the one with average art ends up being better than
the one that has super badass art-style/animation
(I do the same with mangas too)

usually the big eyes characters stop me from watching it, like K-ON clannad
The only thing that's usually a deal breaker for me is excessive use of CG. It's the main reason I never got into Tiger and Bunny. I don't mind CG in small doses, but if your show turns into a PS2 cutscene every time the action starts, then chances are I won't bother with it.

Lonely Lunatic

Aku no Hana

'Nuff said

Fearsome Duck

I care a lot about the art style. Unless the story is absolutely amazing, I'll be put off by the end of the first chapter/episode. But I guess I only try manga/anime that has nice art??

Tipsy Tycoon

9,500 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
From what I've noticed when I was checking new ones to get into, I prefer the "softer" look of older anime compared to the more digital look of newer ones. But that doesn't mean I'll immediately hate anything after a certain year or whatever. If I can get into it and enjoy the story and characters, the art style will go to the back burner.
FrontierBrainPalmer
From what I've noticed when I was checking new ones to get into, I prefer the "softer" look of older anime compared to the more digital look of newer ones. But that doesn't mean I'll immediately hate anything after a certain year or whatever. If I can get into it and enjoy the story and characters, the art style will go to the back burner.

I am guessing you're refering to 90s vs 10s art style trends, to which I'd honestly say the current art style trend is much more softer than that of those 90s animations. Unless I misunderstood and you mean that you prefer use of 2D over CGI and other computer-generated 3D animations. (Actually I am surprised the industry isn't trying to use the fake 2D that Guilty Gear used for their newest game, it looks nice to the eye and not expansive to make at all. You'd think an industry like that would capitalize on such technology.)

User Image

Tipsy Tycoon

9,500 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
LegendaryRandomVIllager42
FrontierBrainPalmer

I am guessing you're refering to 90s vs 10s art style trends, to which I'd honestly say the current art style trend is much more softer than that of those 90s animations. Unless I misunderstood and you mean that you prefer use of 2D over CGI and other computer-generated 3D animations. (Actually I am surprised the industry isn't trying to use the fake 2D that Guilty Gear used for their newest game, it looks nice to the eye and not expansive to make at all. You'd think an industry like that would capitalize on such technology.)

User Image
It's a little hard for me to explain, but yeah I'm referring to things from the 90s and earlier compared to around the 00s and later. But after I get used to the non-standard character designs for some older titles like Crayon Shin-chan and Chibi Maruko-chan, the overall art style will begin to appeal to me more. sweatdrop I hope that makes sense.
FrontierBrainPalmer
LegendaryRandomVIllager42
FrontierBrainPalmer

User Image
It's a little hard for me to explain, but yeah I'm referring to things from the 90s and earlier compared to around the 00s and later. But after I get used to the non-standard character designs for some older titles like Crayon Shin-chan and Chibi Maruko-chan, the overall art style will begin to appeal to me more. sweatdrop I hope that makes sense.

Speaking of non-standard, might as well share this with you. People always like charts such as this.
User Image

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,925 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Sometimes. I love the variety in anime, but there's few shows that I've watched where the art style really bugged me. I hated how the Madoka Magica faces were drawn like the user before me, but I managed to pull through it regardless. Not the anime, but the art in the SNK manga bugged me too since there were a lot of weird proportions and awkward anatomy, lol.

Firebreathing Duck

6,625 Points
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
Styles that have thrown me off....

Betterman really hit my eye nerves....

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers