Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Genius

I've been watching a lot of high school anime (90% of anime) and I suddenly though to myself, "Damn, I'm not going to be a higschooler much longer, will I still be able to identify with these characters once I get out?", "Will it be creepy that I think some of the girl characters are cute", etc.
I know I shouldn't worry because real highschool isn't as exciting, but I can't shake the feeling. Has anyone else ever felt this ?

Cute Rabbit

6,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Nah. There's too much drama portrayed in high schools in anime, imo.
ya with the feeling, but nah with the "Will it be creepy that I think some of the girl characters are cute". because lolis and shotas are 4vr cute

there needs to be some college anime

mv 's Bestie

Punk

17,325 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Timid 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
ba dum tis
ya with the feeling, but nah with the "Will it be creepy that I think some of the girl characters are cute". because lolis and shotas are 4vr cute

there needs to be some college anime
          Golden Time is about college students, I believe.

mv 's Bestie

Punk

17,325 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Timid 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
          No, I don't because a lot of anime just use school as a setting.

Shy Seeker

No, absolutely not. My high school experience was generally awful, and I'm glad to have been rid of it long ago. x_x

Also, regarding relating to the characters, that lasted for a little while into my twenties, but I think the age gap eventually creeped up on me because now they usually seem like "kids" to me rather than peers.

...I feel old now. sweatdrop

Little Eir

Really? I've often thought that there isn't enough in most anime portrayals of school, although there have been a few exceptions of course. Students seem way too nice and polite to each other a lot of the time, in contrast to the realities of drama, fights, and rampant bullying in actual schools.

Horridon's Spouse

Romantic Shapeshifter

User Image
"A ᴛʜɪᴇғ ɪs ᴀ ᴄʀᴇᴀᴛɪᴠᴇ ᴀʀᴛɪsᴛ ᴡʜᴏ ᴛᴀᴋᴇs ʜɪs ᴘʀᴇʏ ɪɴ sᴛʏʟᴇ"
╔══════════════════╗
x
Nope, because even though I read a lot of school life manga I still dropped out anyway.
I got my GED though! d >.<

x
╚══════════════════╝
"A ᴅᴇᴛᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇ ɪs ɴᴏᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴍᴏʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀɴ ᴀ ᴄʀɪᴛɪᴄ ᴡʜᴏ ғᴏʟʟᴏᴡs ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ғᴏᴏᴛsᴛᴇᴘs"
User Image

Devoted Genius

GuardianCentauri
No, absolutely not. My high school experience was generally awful, and I'm glad to have been rid of it long ago. x_x

Also, regarding relating to the characters, that lasted for a little while into my twenties, but I think the age gap eventually creeped up on me because now they usually seem like "kids" to me rather than peers.

Wow, I hope it's the same for me because I see these 40 year old otakus in japan who cling to the idea of a perfect high school life with 2d women; they'd rather dump their real wives than give up their 3-ds waifu. LOL, defiantly don't want to end up like that.

Obsessive Shoujo

18,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Cool Cat 500
No I didn't feel that way when I was in highschool and even now in my early 20's I still love anime if not more than I use to back then.. the only thing I truly worry about is what will people think when I get much older and I collect merchandise... I try not to think about it to much because the future scares me.

Cute Rabbit

6,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
GuardianCentauri

Little Eir

Really? I've often thought that there isn't enough in most anime portrayals of school, although there have been a few exceptions of course. Students seem way too nice and polite to each other a lot of the time, in contrast to the realities of drama, fights, and rampant bullying in actual schools.

I guess this somewhat depends on one's personal experience in high school and on which animes one watches.

Obsessive Shoujo

18,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Cool Cat 500
AssFaceMaggie
GuardianCentauri

Wow, I hope it's the same for me because I see these 40 year old otakus in japan who cling to the idea of a perfect high school life with 2d women; they'd rather dump their real wives than give up their 3-ds waifu. LOL, defiantly don't want to end up like that.
I doubt that would happen to you, a majority of those people who have a serious thing for 2D Women / Girls just have yet to find someone they can relate to (and I'm sure they get lonely so they focus on fictional characters to fill a missing gap with fandom because there have been people admittedly quitting the 2D life and explains why) and as for the one's who have actual wives, well I think it's a bit more complicated than that.. most of the articles that I read it sounds like they never had much in common to begin with and or the wife has a problem with her husband obsessing over 2D women and actually feeling insecure about it.. at least that's what it sounds like from a majority of the articles that I have read.

Now I'd understand if it was Chobits level , making one go bankrupt or he refuses to interact EVER is one thing but it's another to throw out someones merchandise because you simply don't like it. I'm sure there are other further reasons for some who experienced trauma or something more mental but most of the time it sounds like the other 2 examples I had given.. but being obsessed with a 2D wife and ignoring people can be just as bad with video game addiction, I've actually personally seen this one but everyone has their own prioritys and if that's what floats their boat so be it. I know I love Anime, Games and Horror movies so if I were to ever marry and or live with someone I was in a relationship with I'd like them to respect my hobby just as I'd respect theirs.

Shy Seeker

Eirr
I guess this somewhat depends on one's personal experience in high school and on which animes one watches.

True enough

Nytemair is a new VNfag
The Japanese high school system is a lot different from the American high school system so I'm pretty sure no one in the U.S. can even relate high school anime to their own high school experiences.

I wish my high school life were similar to the kinds of stories portrayed in high school anime though. Slice-of-life series about just having fun in clubs seems a lot more enjoyable than the kinds of drama and responsibilities that came with actual high school.

While there are definitely differences, I feel like they're over-emphasized sometimes with supposed black and white contrasts between our cultures. There are certainly plenty of characters' feelings that I can often relate to, as well as some of their social norms. And beneath all the manners and tact in any culture covering up raw feelings, people have various innate similarities deep down inside I think.

As for your second paragraph... Well, I think that's why a lot of these series are designed how they are. It's how many people probably wish their high school lives were, and a celebration of youth that some wish never went away, even if this wish is perhaps a little idealistic and naive.
The only anime that would make me want to stay in school is Nichijou, or The Daily Lives of High School Boys... Maybe Cromartie High School... If my life was like any of these anime... ... Forget... just... FORGET IT!
I'm still in high school, but I don't think I want to stay in here for long.
I mean, sure, being in school is great. You know, being young and all that. But I just can't wait to get 'out there' in the world and finally start a life of my own. I hate being like a drone or something and just doing whatever the teacher tells us to do.

Besides, my high school life is nowhere near as funny or amazing as anime often portray high school life to be. Haha. Maybe because I am a boring person crying

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff