Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Explorer

So I've seen the playthrough for both games, and Dangan Ronpa IF, I love the games, but I've heard mixed opinions on the anime. I've heard that the plot is the same as the game, nothing too far from what we know, but I've also heard that it sucked. Hard. I've watched one episode, but there's a lot of anime that I need to catch up on, so I'm wondering: Is the anime even worth watching?

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
It was okay... I personally liked it... But it relied heavily on it's mystery aspect, and it was way too predictable at times. If you have a seriously long list of anime to catch up on, then there's no hurry to watch this one.
Ugh. Of course you heard it sucked, fanbrats are never happy.

Which is especially dumb in this case because the anime follows the game pretty much exactly. That's what whiny fans want, right? Super faithful adaptations?

Anyway, because it was super faithful, I personally found it kind of boring. But if you don't mind watching something you've already played, go for it.
Danganronpa is a whopping 7/10 on my list. I haven't played the game, hence I can't properly assess the adaptation, nor can I bash it. Only aspect I couldn't bear were the censoring and some of the classroom trials, which eventually lead to a really rushed series, but hey, not bad for 13 episodes. The art was fancy, contained a diverse character cast, and ends off quite nicely.

Demonic Felis catus

12,625 Points
  • Divorced 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I liked the anime.
It is definitely worth giving a shot in my opinion
It's okay. A bit too rushed for my taste, but animated Junko makes up for all of its flaws

Dapper Explorer

Thanks for the opinions! I'll probably watch it eventually, then. But there's so much that I need to watch, and I know the plot, so it may be a while before I get to it.

Shadowy Girl

11,875 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
It's really not worth watching because most of the fun of the series stems from the fact that it's a game and the gameplay. Watching the anime doesn't really give you the same feelings as playing the games would.

Youkai Moe's Waifu

Cat

Eh, if you played the game, go ahead and watch it. There's nothing to lose.

Of course, game > anime. The anime had pacing issues and made some cases impossible to solve due to evidence being omitted because of time constraints, as well as sacrificing a lot of characterization. There's no harm in watching it if you liked the game and want to see it animated, but it was pretty weak imo.

Familiar Poster

I liked the anime. Yeah it borrowed cutscenes from the game. However, It added some charm to it with different animation. Plus the animation was not bad in the cutscenes. Anyways, the anime for Dangan Ronpa is pretty much the same as the game. The only real thing they change is that they took out the scene where you spend time with your classmates / friends. So if you beaten Dangan Ronpa and got the good ending you don't need to watch the series.

One more thing. The anime for Dangan Ronpa is better than the anime for Blazblue.

souchisen's Husband

Dapper Genius

I definitely liked what I saw, but I'm slightly biased because animated Leon Kuwata.

I didnt exactly finish it, I think I left off on episode 8 because I stopped caring after case 3, just like in the game. But what I saw of the parts I watched was pretty good.

Durem Noob

4,900 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
The anime's definitely an interesting one. I enjoyed the whole suspense of who killed who, unusually colorful blood, and well, I'm too lazy to list the rest. (Oh Ishimaru, why did you have to die? ;; )

Huh, didn't know it was a game.

Dapper Explorer

Influenze
The anime's definitely an interesting one. I enjoyed the whole suspense of who killed who, unusually colorful blood, and well, I'm too lazy to list the rest. (Oh Ishimaru, why did you have to die? ;; )

Huh, didn't know it was a game.

The translated version of the game can be found on the PS vita, there's also a sequel, Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, with a new set of characters. If you can't play the games yourself, there's always a play through up on Youtube.

And I agree wholeheartedly with Ishimaru, I still haven't come to terms with his death. He grew to be my favorite character.

Lonely Fairy

User Image
xxxxxxx

I played a small bit of it online before the anime came out but I never finished it. I did watch the anime as it came out and I enjoyed it. I wasn't a big fan of the art style but it stayed loyal to the game, so I got over it.

I liked it enough to cosplay Chihiro twice.(*´▽`*)User Image

Gracious Gekko

I liked the anime! Mind you, I haven't played the game (visual novel?) at all, but it was pretty easy to guess that's what it was based on. The mystery aspect was fun, and I liked the cast okay, even if it was made up pretty exclusively of tropes. It was a pretty good mystery romp, good and short.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff